Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Design 911 are a bit cheeky, all their prices don't include VAT. So the actual price is £478. Add adapters, decent pads, and discs and that'll be around £1000 please sir. Then you need to do the rears which will be the same again.

You could easily spend £1000 overhauling the front and rear standard rotors, pads and calipers - so spending twice that for the full front and rear big red 993 setup doesn't look like total extravagance
Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Just as long as you want 993 o/s versions, remember that 964 rotor o/s is different from 993. To use the 993 rotors on a 964 you must also have alloy 993 wheel carriers, either std or RS will do, but steel 964 wheel carriers will not
Thanks Bill.

I've been thinking about this upgrade, I know it's something DavidRiley has done and 9M have recommended it to me. but I only do a couple of trackdays a year in the 964 so the expense isn't viable in the short term.....however, as part of an ongoing upgrade/mod to the car I'm acquiring parts and info when and where available within budget for a future overhaul/rebuild.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Design 911 are a bit cheeky, ....... Then you need to do the rears which will be the same again.
Frank's Ok as he's got a C4, so they already had the 4-pot rear calipers. It's us early C2 guys that have to add the additional expense of a 4-pot rear caliper upgrade as well if we go to big reds on the front.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pesty
Interesting.

How much are the adaptors as my c4 calipers bolt on from the side

Originally Posted by Jimmy586
How much are the adaptors as my c4 calipers bolt on from the side

You'll be wanting something like this....[no affiliation]

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/96...PORT_1_pc.html
Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Design 911 are a bit cheeky, all their prices don't include VAT. So the actual price is £478. Add adapters, decent pads, and discs and that'll be around £1000 please sir. Then you need to do the rears which will be the same again.
£399 all in sold by 'Design 911'... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Cali...ht_2686wt_1398

For the rears I have the bigger 4 pot ones being a C4 and all - so I'd just do the fronts?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Aha, on their site

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13...93--DesignTek/

they are £399 ex vat
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Aha, on their site

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13...93--DesignTek/

they are £399 ex vat
True - I assumed both their eBay and site listings were priced the same! How difficult is it to tackle a job like this?

I suppose the easy stuff is changing discs and pads as it can be done without disconnecting the callipers? Where as changing callipers must require bleeding the system?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

It's pretty easy, if its just the fronts its 4 bolts, a screw and the pipe unions to undo. I'll happily give you a hand if you want, just give me a shout. Impact gun is handy for getting things undone, decent torque wrench to do em up again.

Yup the brakes will need bleeding as you will need to disconnect pipes - probably worth doing a flush and refill anyway in an advance of the Spa trip.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Re the rears, if you look at Bill's page http://members.rennlist.com/1976c38/brakes.htm which gives all the variants fitted front and rear, looks like there are models that basically run with the big red fronts (or at least the big/mid 964 3.3 turbo size) and the similar sized rears as the 964 4 piston rears SO its not madness to leave the rears alone by any means. But if I was doing it I might be tempted with the 993 n/a rears with larger 30/34mm pistons and the stock or RS discs. If only so you've got nice new stuff all round.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could easily spend £1000 overhauling the front and rear standard rotors, pads and calipers - so spending twice that for the full front and rear big red 993 setup doesn't look like total extravagance
I'm with you here. I think the standard brakes are pretty damn good and have always proved to be up to the job on track with the right pads and fluid. OK, I can't brake as late as a big brake equipped car and might need to come in a lap or two earlier to rest them but the consumables are much cheaper on standard brakes. I'll go through more rotors and pads than a big brake car but the cost of that upgrade buys a lot of standard rotors, track pads and fluid. So it's never really added up in my eyes.

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Frank's Ok as he's got a C4, so they already had the 4-pot rear calipers. It's us early C2 guys that have to add the additional expense of a 4-pot rear caliper upgrade as well if we go to big reds on the front.
From the advice I've seen on this forum (mostly from Bill) adding big reds/blacks to the front is best balanced by putting 993C2 calipers on the rear. These have bigger pistons than the 964 C4 (and late C2) rears. i.e. Frank would have to upgrade his rears too (but can still use standard rotors on the rear).
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Re the rears, if you look at Bill's page http://members.rennlist.com/1976c38/brakes.htm which gives all the variants fitted front and rear, looks like there are models that basically run with the big red fronts (or at least the big/mid 964 3.3 turbo size) and the similar sized rears as the 964 4 piston rears SO its not madness to leave the rears alone by any means. But if I was doing it I might be tempted with the 993 n/a rears with larger 30/34mm pistons and the stock or RS discs. If only so you've got nice new stuff all round.
The 964RS, 964 3.3t & 964 3.6t all run big front brakes w/ smallish rear brakes, the 964RS rears are exactly the same externally as 964 rear but the pistons of the 964RS rear are 30/34 instead on 964 28/30. Note that the 964t rears while 30/34 as on the RS have a different width and o/s so cannot be used on a 964 w/ 964 turbo trailing arms.

You will want to run 993 rear calipers which are identical to 964RS rear calipers on stock or 968M030 rear rotors w/ any of the big brake fronts

964Cup ran the big RS fronts w/ 30/34 rears and also dispensed w/ the p/v
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I'm with you here. I think the standard brakes are pretty damn good and have always proved to be up to the job on track with the right pads and fluid. OK, I can't brake as late as a big brake equipped car and might need to come in a lap or two earlier to rest them but the consumables are much cheaper on standard brakes. I'll go through more rotors and pads than a big brake car but the cost of that upgrade buys a lot of standard rotors, track pads and fluid. So it's never really added up in my eyes.

From the advice I've seen on this forum (mostly from Bill) adding big reds/blacks to the front is best balanced by putting 993C2 calipers on the rear. These have bigger pistons than the 964 C4 (and late C2) rears. i.e. Frank would have to upgrade his rears too (but can still use standard rotors on the rear).
That's the fun with this rabbit hole of upgrades, it goes on and on once you start.....my point was that for an occassional use track car there's no real need to upgrade the rear calipers Frank has as I don't think many of us push to the absolute limit on a trackday as there's no benefit, there's no prize after all....and I for one don't have the skill

Given funds of course factory (or race) spec is way to go....but like you Steve I've not have brake probs on track and whilst I've got the big blacks up front I run the later C2 4-pot rears with rear discs that aren't criss drilled. Like you I found the biggest improvement, with standard calipers, was upgraded pads and fluid.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Just costed everything up and shopped around for best prices including VAT and P+P:

Discs - Type911 - £ 543.60:
Front 993 OEM cross drilled Rear 964 OEM cross drilled 543.60.

Pads - eBay - £ 188.48:
EBC Yellow Stuff 993 Turbo front.
EBC Yellow Stuff 964 rear.

Calipers - Design911 - £ 399.00:
Design Tek Big Reds front.

Total: £ 1131.08

What am I missing - mounting for front callipers, where can I find?

What do you guys think, reasonable-ish price and set up?

God this forum is distracting - I recon we'd all be so much more productive if weren't members which would intern give us more car funds... back to work!

It's pretty easy, if its just the fronts its 4 bolts, a screw and the pipe unions to undo. I'll happily give you a hand if you want, just give me a shout. Impact gun is handy for getting things undone, decent torque wrench to do em up again.

Yup the brakes will need bleeding as you will need to disconnect pipes - probably worth doing a flush and refill anyway in an advance of the Spa trip.
If I could take you up on the offer I would bite the bullet - wouldn't wanna face labour costs on top! Besides as you say 'any excuse to get the finder nails dirty' and chat Porsches with a mate!

Originally Posted by boxsey911

Thanks for the advice Steve - always making sense to me

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The 964RS, 964 3.3t & 964 3.6t all run big front brakes w/ smallish rear brakes, the 964RS rears are exactly the same externally as 964 rear but the pistons of the 964RS rear are 30/34 instead on 964 28/30. Note that the 964t rears while 30/34 as on the RS have a different width and o/s so cannot be used on a 964 w/ 964 turbo trailing arms.

You will want to run 993 rear calipers which are identical to 964RS rear calipers on stock or 968M030 rear rotors w/ any of the big brake fronts

964Cup ran the big RS fronts w/ 30/34 rears and also dispensed w/ the p/v
Cheers Bill!

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
That's the fun with this rabbit hole of upgrades, it goes on and on once you start.....my point was that for an occassional use track car there's no real need to upgrade the rear calipers Frank has as I don't think many of us push to the absolute limit on a trackday as there's no benefit, there's no prize after all....and I for one don't have the skill
I think this option makes the most sense to me both financially and for my application - besides worse case (and it just seems all positive from your experience) I could upgrade rears later.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 02-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Just costed everything up and shopped around for best prices including VAT and P+P:

Pads - eBay - £ 188.48:
EBC Yellow Stuff 993 Turbo front.
EBC Yellow Stuff 964 rear.
Unfortunately, the EBC stuff is not that good when the pads get a proper work out on track. For serious track work Pagid yellows (RS29) get the thumbs up from most folk. Pagid blues (RS4-2) are OK and more cost effective for occasional track use. Even so the blues will cost you about £235 for the front while the yellows will set you back £285.

Personally, I use Hawk blues which I buy direct from the US. I would say these are a much better track pad than Pagid Blue but not as long lasting as the Pagid Yellows. However, they work out at only just over £100 per set for the standard size that are used in 964 fronts and rears (my rears are now 4 pots like your C4). The Hawks also create a lot of nasty dusty but that doesn't bother me as they're only used with my tatty track wheels.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

fvd do the adapters to mount the calipers - cheapest source I've seen - link already posted in this thread.

1 or 2 litres of fluid, something top spec like motul rbf600, high boiling point is the key, usually given in degF (~600+ is good).

Best add in the hard pipes between the flexible hose and the caliper, they're cheap from OPC and all to easy to munge when doing the job. I've got as pipe flaring tool and we could make up replacements fairly easily in a crisis but having factory replacements make things a bit less stressful.

Also get some braided brake lines if you haven't already got them, the old hoses will be on their last legs and everything is much easier if you can just cut the hoses and get a socket on the pipe fittings.

I'd go with boxeys suggested hawk blues (I've only had good experiences with EBC reds (old compound) on the datsun but they're similarly dusty and similar price so why deviate from tried and tested hawks)

Finally and just because of personal risk aversion I'd go plain rather than cross drilled discs, I've known drilled ones to crack in other applications under heavy abuse - I haven't seen too much of that reported on 964 applications but I've not looked. Maybe the experts on here have a view?

Quick Reply: CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...