Sponsored by:

Distributor cap damage from broken belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor cap damage from broken belt

Just thought someone might like to see what happens inside the cap when the secondary rotor is firing between two of the contacts.

I probably put 300 miles on this car before I realized the belt was broken, hoping this is the extent of the damage. Funny thing is, it ran just fine except for a low-RPM hesitation.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spacely- that looks scary. Is there any way at all to diagnose a problem with the distributor belt without ripping it apart? Especially important since you had essentially no overt signs of a problem (except mild hesitation).
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well pulling the secondary cap is the most direct way to tell, just reach in with your finger and see if the rotor spins. I noticed while replacing the belt, that you might be able to look inside the inspection cover on the side of the distributor, with a mirror and flashlight, if you have the vent tube mod. The vent tube on mine attaches to the primary inspection cover port, but I didn't realize this until it was apart.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...utor-test.html

Mine broke in 2007 (it had been replaced in 1998), so I plan to have it change every 5 or 6 years.

As for the symptoms, the car was not accelerating as much as I thought it could, and was running rough at low RPMs on steep carpark ramps.

Quick Reply: Distributor cap damage from broken belt