Sponsored by:

Witch of these 2 cars would you buy? Need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Witch of these 2 cars would you buy? Need your advice

Here are 2 cars that I would consider buying and wanted to get your expert advice.

First car is a 1990 C2 with 118K miles. The things I like are that the car: It is only 1hr away from me so easy to look at, test drive, have a Porsche mechanic I know and trust do the PPI. I have talked to the CO and PO and the car has been relatively problem free. No accidents, paint work, etc. $16,900 is less than what I planned on spending. It would give me some extra $ for repairs/upgrades as needed. The negatives are there is a small oil leak ( i know this isn't uncommon, but I could be looking at something big down the road), small tear in rear seat (not too worried about it), and i'm sure a few other things the seller hasn't mentioned. It has higher miles and it is an older model year.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4705777

Second car is a 93 C2 with 74K miles. The good: Newer model year, lower miles, rebuilt engine (at least I think this is good). The negatives: The car is 900miles away so harder to look at, test drive, PPI. The FVD exhaust is a big problem for me because i would want to go back to stock so I can use the heater( I am sure this won't be too cheep). Owner says there is a history of accident (doesn't sound too major, but I always worry about it) the dent in the rear deck lid (don't know how bad it is), oil leak at the oil pump it sounds like, and a few other issues with the sun roof, window switch, crack in dash, tear in rear seat,etc. The other negative is the price. $23K. Quite a bit more than the other car.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...s-seattle.html

I love the color white, but black would be my 2nd option. I really like the 93 but it seems like there a quit a few issues that I would have to deal with and the extra cost would add up fast.

What do you guys think? Please feel free to give me your honest opinion. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ask for the following information before you decide to proceed with a PPI.

Car# 1: Make sure it has the cylinder head update. Try to get repair records from the current owner. Have the owner be more specific on the oil leak.

Car#2: Oil leak at the oil pump? -- the oil pump is located inside the case--need more info. Try to get copies of what type of overhaul was done--top end, complete overhaul including bearings, etc. Also ask the owner for repair records.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

imho - mileage is less of an issue than how well the car was taken care of, one. Two, "oil leak" is less an issue than "where is the leak and what is leaking". "accident" is a scary word, as is "FVD Exhaust", since it's also hard to tell how a car has been driven/abused.

You dont necessarily get a better car by going with a nov 1,1990 plus model, but you sometimes get some improvements that came later which are "nice to haves"

Also in my opinion - and having had all the issues with mine that I have had, which have afforded me an education in 964's and spending that I had bever anticipated (but it has been enormously fun) - Do not buy either car without a good PPI, and if you really want to save yourself some big hassles, have them leak it down so you have a good idea of where the engine is at the time you buy it. Buy a good car, as a bad one will cost you huge. However that said, 16k gives you a huge advantage over me, for example, I bought for 23k and have put in 10k already. 16k + 10k would be MUCH more pleasant.

also - if the underbelly tray is on either car, and you buy it - remove the underbelly tray as it traps heat and will likely cause big top end issues. Mine ended up with 18% compression in four of the cylindars after the first year from being stuck in traffic and over heating. (assumptions, but the likely culprit). Had I leaked the engine down prior to purchasing, I likely would have seen that there was an issue that was likely to become a bigger issue in due time, and I would have probably bought a different car and spent less in the end.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice; forget car 2 because you're concerned about it and it's a long way and go view it. Go view car 1. If car 1 doesn't work out, be patient and wait for another one to come along.

p.s. I believe the owner of car 2 is a Rennlist member.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Yea, the owner of the 2nd car is a rennlister and a very nice guy from the emails we have exchanged.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Between the two, Car 1 gets my vote.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
budtaylor
Track Day

knowing what I know now Id take a pass on both and look for a 93 or 94 with the cylinder head and other updates with no wrecks or performance mods....end of a model year run is always better if you can afford and as the guy above mentioned 12K in repairs is nothing on these cars so spend the doe up front and dont have the hassle of figuring out how to fix the thing...
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like car 2 is sold to version13...
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

If #1 passes a PPI with good compression/leak down and few issues, then I'd say go for it. If it's running original shocks (looks like stock ride height at least), then plan on replacing them right away. "Leaks oil" could mean almost anything.

#2 Seems a little pricey given the advertised issues.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Yea, it looks like both cars have been sold. That's ok. I am not in a hurry and not going to rush into anything with looking into the car properly. I'll keep looking. thanks for the thoughts though.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
mada1
Racer

Any follow up...?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

so the first car (black one) sold. Looking back on it, I wish I would have followed up on it quicker. Oh well. The owner of the 2nd car told me he had a buyer lined up who offered him $21.5K and if that was in my ballpark I could follow up with him. Told him it was a little more than I was looking to pay considering I would have to redo the exhaust to get the heater working and the list of other things that needed repairing. I assumed he sold it, but yesterday he posted that it is still for sale. I do like the car and love the fact that the engine is rebuilt and ready to go. Being that i am not in a hurry to buy, and there is a list of things needing repair, I think i would pass on the car for that price. If it were around $19K or so I would get a PPI done and go from there. What do you guys think?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think that you would like that car, get the PPI and then you have hard data to use negotiating on the final price. You will also know if there are deal killers.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Car #2 's motor was rebuilt by John Walker a very well respected Porsche shop in that area. Can't miss with white/black and the aero mirrors, I am pretty sure most cars have had a 5mph shunt at some point a PPI will be able to see if the longitudinals are impacted. If so walk, if not buy it.

You will still need to return the heat exchangers/exhaust, probably tires, wheel refurbish, the headlights look milky, tears in the seat, dent in decklid, sunroof, keys and I am guessing shocks, all the little items that can be done in a week but all told about 5 grand roughly. Funny but no matter what car I buy that first punch list is almost always about 5 grand. Being in a late model 964 in white black with a rebuilt motor for 25k you cannot lose.

On one hand I admire the seller's disclosure of all the bad little items but on the other I wonder just how big of a (self confessed) Porsche buff he is to (A) Let the list of broken items pile up and (B) 4 Posts on Pelican where his ad is since August 2010....not a huge contributor with the Porsche fire burning in his belly, posting at all hours and eating pizza and sleeping on the keyboard.

Quick Reply: Witch of these 2 cars would you buy? Need your advice