Sponsored by:

964 Rebuild, let the fun begin...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budtaylor
can you replace the through bolt seals without cracking the case >?
Yes, just do one bolt at a time.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after everyones suggestions and reading on the forums, I have decided to NOT split the case open. I am afraid that once it's open the slippery slope will begin. I am already starting to justify spending more money than I want to "since I'm in there." I plan on keeping this car for a while and know that down the road I will have the engine out again for a full rebuild and at that point be in a better position to slide down the slope.

Also as suggested, since I do have the motor out and half apart I will replace the through bolts individually to ensure no leakage occurs in the near future. I figure once I do the timing chain gaskets, the valve gaskets, rear main seal, through bolts etc, I should reduce my leakage by about 80-90% which is something I can live with.

For now, I have my motor under a tarp covered at the shop as I leave for Mexico on sunday for a week under the sun with the family. Hopefully when I return everything will be as I left it.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys have not updated in a while. Really have not done much. Still waiting for some parts from Sunset. Just spent the time cleaning various things. Was thinking about just refinishing the engine fan, but found a crack and some tips broken. Don't know if I should replace or just live with it for a little while. Don't think it will explode. Will post pics later.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Replace the fan. At best it will upset the balance and probably wear the fan/alternator bearing faster - unless it is already seriously worn causing the daage. At worst, you really dont want pieces of fan being thrown out at stupid speeds. There was a post on here of a similar fan recently - quite dramatic damage as a result whick could have been a lot worse. The tolerance between the fan surround and blades is small enough. Don't risk it.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Slave and Hose

Thomas funny you should say that I got into my car to take a ride and bamm I feel on the clutch pedal and down to the floor it goes turns out the bottom bolt is broken to the shop it goes I am ready to pay big bucks for a engine drop but the shop was able to use mirrors and a easy out to make the repairs.
Easy to repace here but not in my case. Now its a good time to replace as many hoses as you can also. On of my oil lines was dripping but I told the shop to do more because being 20 plus years old.Also time for new plug wires and such with the engine on the ground.

Quick Reply: 964 Rebuild, let the fun begin...