Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDAS green light mod (when adding bulb is not enough)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Derek Pedersen
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PDAS green light mod (when adding bulb is not enough)

While reading about the cool PDAS functionality on the forum, I came across some interesting threads about making a green PDAS light functional in one of the gauges. Apparently Porsche added in the provision for a green PDAS light to turn on / flash whenever the PDAS engages (same as the yellow LED by the switch, but MUCH easier to notice). It appears they decided against the function because cars were not delivered with bulbs in the the spot for the green PDAS light. Someone figured out that adding a bulb would make the light work. Except it didn't in my car and apparently in a few other cars as well, so I decided to dig a little deeper to see what the problem was.

Turns out the fix is very simple. My car is a 1990 C4.

Hope others will find this useful.

I perused the wiring diagram for my year and located the PDAS wire (wht/blk) going to the gauge. Found which connector the wire came in on and checked the corresponding pin on the gauge. Turns out on my gauge the pin for the green PDAS light was under the OTHER connector. Probably a mid-cycle design change that Porsche let slide because the light was non-functional anyway.

So, all I had to do was move the pin from one connector to the other (pin II/6 to I/7). Works great. Can't wait to see it in action this winter.

Pictures are in sequential order showing me modifying the pins. Sorry no captions, but easy enough to follow.

Here's how it looks.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Derek Pedersen; 11-15-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added pinout detail
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting....
You moved wire II/6 to I/7 to light window #10 (PDAS), nice....
Do you know what is window #6 (where II/6 wht/blk was connected) if it lit up? The schematics for the '89 C4 has window #6 as an empty field - not even a "not used".
Nice write up!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Derek Pedersen
Instructor

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Interesting....
You moved wire II/6 to I/7 to light window #10 (PDAS), nice....
Do you know what is window #6 (where II/6 wht/blk was connected) if it lit up? The schematics for the '89 C4 has window #6 as an empty field - not even a "not used".
Nice write up!
Good catch. I meant to add that into the post (and now I have).

When I tested the pin where II/6 connects, nothing lit up on my gauge. On the schematic I'm using, it shows II/6 (wht/blk) connecting to window #4 (green PDAS). But in fact, I/7 is connected to the green PDAS window.

All other lights that are supposed to be functional from the schematic are functional. The pins for II/6 and I/7 were the only discrepancies I found.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting post...I also have a 1990 C4 and I'd love to hear more discussion about this as I've never seen any PDAS light lighting up whenever the PDAS system is working overtime as it is supposedly designed to do so. I always thought it was one of the little LED lights down by the PDAS switch on the center console that was supposed to light up but have never seen them light up.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Help me out here... is the goal to have a dash light go on when PDAS is engaged? Is this not the same as the LED on the lower console? Just trying to get a clear idea of what you're trying to accomplish...

(This might be different on the 89 cars, but on my 91, I get the LED on the lower console when PDAS engages- I can see it at the corner of my eye...)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1992 registered car and it also has the light by the centre console that lights very occasionally. I suppose having it more in your face is more like the modern cars i guess (my Audi has that ESP light on the dash).
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Help me out here... is the goal to have a dash light go on when PDAS is engaged? Is this not the same as the LED on the lower console? Just trying to get a clear idea of what you're trying to accomplish...

(This might be different on the 89 cars, but on my 91, I get the LED on the lower console when PDAS engages- I can see it at the corner of my eye...)
Which LED lights up for you and what kind of maneuvers make it light up?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by August West
Which LED lights up for you and what kind of maneuvers make it light up?
There's a small amber lamp below the PDAS control. I can light mine by nailing the throttle on dirt roads, or as I'm cornering hard on wet pavement.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The key point here should be - if you are driving in such a manner or conditions that lead to the activation of the PDAS system, then you should NOT be taking your eyes off the road and looking down at the itsy-bitsy little yellow LED by the PDAS switch. The green light for the PDAS on the dash will be easier to spot, without being distracting. This is certainly on my list to-do. It's a nerdy 964-geek thing.
Have Fun, Be Safe
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM
daniel94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Utah...now I want to do it too...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Derek Pedersen
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbennett017

I modified my original post to show the background of what I was trying to accomplish. For some, adding a bulb makes the light functional. Apparently there are others like me that have the blk/wht PDAS wire, but aren't getting the bulb to light.

I've got the lower LED as well, but didn't even realize it was lighting up until I read about the green PDAS light on the forum. The green PDAS light comes on at the same time as the yellow LED. Definitely more visible.

Originally Posted by DWS964
The key point here should be - if you are driving in such a manner or conditions that lead to the activation of the PDAS system, then you should NOT be taking your eyes off the road and looking down at the itsy-bitsy little yellow LED by the PDAS switch. The green light for the PDAS on the dash will be easier to spot, without being distracting. This is certainly on my list to-do. It's a nerdy 964-geek thing.
Have Fun, Be Safe

Originally Posted by daniel94
Nice job Utah...now I want to do it too...
You may only need to add the bulb. Easy to check, just move one of your other bulbs to the PDAS spot and see if it works. If not, check your connectors and see if you've got the same scenario as me. If you do, this mod should work. It really is pretty cool to see it light up in fast corners. And I'll be able to tell for sure if my "PDAS disable" theory is legit.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utah914
...I'll be able to tell for sure if my "PDAS disable" theory is legit.
Full report please!

(And if you can figure out how to re-enable it after hooning around, that would be cool too!)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/967760-post3.html

utah,
in your last pic your gauge shows a green light in the top left "corner" of the gauge. The PDAS light in mine is two over (window 3 viewed from front, or window 2 viewed from backside) and is a pictogram of 4 wheels? (as per garrett's pic in post above).
Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

The link in frankvan's post is pretty telling...Whereas Utah's newfound light looks more like an ABS type icon, the one in frankvan's link looks more like a traction-control type of icon.

It may be that Utah has done most of the dirty work and would only need to move the wire once more to light up the more appropriate traction-control light.

Wouldn't this be the perfect time for St. Adrian to weigh in?

Utah still gets the Geek Squad award for bringing this to light!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm wondering - would putting a bulb in Utah's spot (before he changed the harness pins) light that space when the ABS kicks in? Since it looks like a brake-type icon? That would be an interesting mod.

What are the icons in the other empty spaces on that gauge?

Quick Reply: PDAS green light mod (when adding bulb is not enough)