Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned headlights and the silvering washed off?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cleaned headlights and the silvering washed off?!?!?!

I removed my headlights to clean the insides and to replace the bulbs (the current bulbs had manufacture dates of 1993 and 1995). I splashed a decent amount of windex inside waited a bit and then drained them out. The difference in clearness was significant.

The next day I took a bit of sponge on a wooden skewer to wipe the remaining droplets and I accidentally touched the reflector silver and the silver wiped right off onto the sponge! The amount I took off was about the size of a silver dollar.

I am bummed.I don't know if it was the chemicals in the windex but I assume that the isopropol alcohol others recommend here would have caused the same result.

Anyway, if you are cleaning your headlights be very careful around the silvering inside!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Man - bummer! Does the rest of the reflector look like it separated from the metal and would peel off?

I did it with isopropyl alcohol and had great results. I did clean out and dry the inside fairly quickly.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 'metal' is really just a metallic spray paint on the inside of the plastic body. Now that I think about it the fluid may have softened the paint and when I touched it with the sponge it wiped off. I bet it resets a little bit once it fully dries out.

If I could split the glass from the reflector I could respray it but that ain't gonna happen!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

I used isopropol alcohol but I dropped in a few paper towel sheets and swished them around with the alcohol. I then drained and set out in sunlight to dry. So far much better and no issues with the silver coating.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also taken mine out a cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and had no issues.

In theory you can slpit them. Porsche does just sell the glass lens. I know one of mine have been separated by the PO and siliconed back together.

Are the moisture absorbers intact?

I don't think it's paint. It's most like plated, but if you have had water getting in them at some time and sitting on the silver plating it may have delaminated.

Quick Reply: Cleaned headlights and the silvering washed off?!?!?!