964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drain

Old 09-15-2018, 05:37 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Pulled/disconnected CCU, Radio, extra wires from battery, all fuses and relays. Minor reduction in draw only. Still sapping .240 from battery.

Next the annoying one, pull the seat to remove alarm box.

What would be next to remove after that?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by wicks
Pulled/disconnected CCU, Radio, extra wires from battery, all fuses and relays. Minor reduction in draw only. Still sapping .240 from battery.

The easiest way to do this is to use a good volt meter to measure the amperage while the car isn't running. Just go to the fuse box and take one fuse out at a time. You can make a little replacement that has contacts to measure the amperage for each circuit.

Somewhere there is a chart on what circuits draw how much when the car is off. Although the data above looks correct.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

burn it with fire. :-)

Abs controller
motronic
rear harness

you already tested across each fuse with car in sleep?

you can just unbolt seat and tilt it back. Raise it up and put tilt full forward if electric. Use a new hex bit on a socket. You don’t want to strip those bolts. Put a blanket on the rear seats before you tilt it back.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Sundog - thanks but way past that (scroll up post #84)

Yes tested fuses with car "in sleep" - pulled all fuses and relays, notes on that process and the current drops per fuse noted in post #84 above.

I pulled the alarm box (in addition to radio, CCU and everything else I've been able to disconnect so far) - still have a .230 draw of current. Other alarm module maybe?

Going to try those next units, how to easily disconnect whole rear harness? I already tried pulling the two multi-connectors at the rear fuse panel, and all of the other connections made in that area. (Plus all relays, fuses back there).

What unit pulls around .230 of current and is unfused...hmmm

Continuing disassembly...this is getting a bit rediculous, have disconnected every coupling, module, unit, seat power, servo I can find so far. The battery cutoff switch continues to prove to me I'm still chasing real current (meter goes to zero when battery cutoff switched).

Oh, also - I tested connecting the radio GREEN WIRE to the frame of the radio and closing the switch (as if the radio was installed), and got the DOUBLE BLINK on the alarm LEDs. This is so strange - its supposed to be the opposite right? The system WANTS the green wire connected the original way, doesn't it? Geeez.

Last edited by wicks; 09-15-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Damn. You're 100% sure you don't have any old aftermarket electronics in there? The rear harness is just a bunch of plugs but it sounds like you already pulled all the relays back there? There is a bigger one that controls the rear fan unit.

Ok i'm going to shoot in the dark:
1. you already measured across each fuse individually right? With car off and locked ?
2. did you do same in rear fuse box?
3. You pulled each relay front and rear and did same at battery?

Try pulling the clock. Unplug it.

There are a few more control modules: ABS, (on turbo is there one for brake pump?), Airbags.

The G body cars have relays and fuses all over the place, but the 964 things are pretty tidy.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:33 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Pretty secure there aren't any aftermarket circuits anywhere. Been through the dash, under the seats, which is where I'd likely find that stuff no?

1. All the fuses and relays are out of the car. I first did the individual fuse pulls, noting the relating drop in current draw (post #84). Radio, clock, etc, each had a small drop in the draw. So removing those units seems redundant but there was a suggestion that those units might also have an unfused power source. Doing the cross-the-top-of-the-fuse test would not provide any additional information I think, especially since they are all out, and so no power can be being pulled by any fused circuits.
2. Rear fuse box, everything is out. Same as above.
3. Yes all relays and fuses pulled. Only relay wonkiness I had was a stick sunroof relay, but that's out now so can't be drawing.

I isolated the clock draw by pulling its fuse - noted in post #84, so removing clock should be just as redundant as removing radio was.

Should I pull an alternator wire? Could there be a short causing this much draw there?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

so all relays and fuses are pulled and you still have the draw?
hmm at a loss one would think if a short it would burn out the wire.
power regulator on the alternator some weird draw via those diodes?

how old and what size battery?

so frustrating
Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Could a damaged regulator on the alternator do that? Don't think that that is fused.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I just developed a theory - had a buddy come over and work the tester/battery while I listened around the whole car, and in the engine there is something like a relay throwing, mid-motor toward the back, when battery gets connected (via the inline tester). I unplugged everything I could and it's still not eliminated. Thinks I need to pull the intercooler and air box to get at everything there in the back to unplug.

Is the alternator regulator internal or external? I unplugged a BOSCH black box right next to the intercooler intake (throttle valve switch), thought that was it but not.

Could the starter solenoid be throwing (unnecessarily) without the key even in? I figure anything that makes this kind of noise, like a relay, must be taking some significant amperage and well could be drawing my .2xx in current.

What else on the motor makes a sound like a throwing relay? Unplugged everything on the intercooler and all relays on the engine fuse box and the multi-connectors there all disconnected.

Last edited by wicks; 09-16-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts on this piece: What on the motor makes a sound like a switch/throwing relay when the battery is connected?

Could be the alternator or starter/solenoid as well? Would either of those draw about .240 in current when ignition off?

Last edited by wicks; 09-17-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts on this piece: What on the motor makes a sound like a switch/throwing relay when the battery is connected?

Could be the alternator or starter/relay as well? Would either of those draw about .240 in current when ignition off?
lots just odd. But i suppose possible if there were an odd behavior in the column switch too?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Car is young use-wise, hard to imagine a fault in the column switch (I assume this means ignition/key switch?), plus that switch is operating correctly in all observable respects. Besides, this is just by connecting the battery, not turning the ignition switch...something in the motor is clicking/switching just by connecting the battery. And whatever that thing is, it is not fused or relayed in the engine fuse panel.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Car is young use-wise, hard to imagine a fault in the column switch (I assume this means ignition/key switch?), plus that switch is operating correctly in all observable respects. Besides, this is just by connecting the battery, not turning the ignition switch...something in the motor is clicking/switching just by connecting the battery. And whatever that thing is, it is not fused or relayed in the engine fuse panel.
Right. I don’t have a turbo so not sure if there is some other set of electronics in the engine bay.
can you get car on a lift or jack stands with a stethoscope? This is a great tool, cheap too!

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Is there an easy way to disconnect the alternator wiring without taking the fan off? Trying a disconnect of alternator and starter to see if they are creating the drain.

Alternator charging at 13.6 to 13.8 volts (various RPMs and various accessories running) is about right?

Last edited by wicks; 09-19-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

NOTE FOR FUTURE READERS - ALTERNATOR DIODE FAILURE COULD BE YOUR BATTERY PARASITIC DRAIN SOURCE:

IF YOU LOSE BATTERY STARTING POWER IN 2-4 DAYS WITH A KNOWN GOOD BATTERY, YOU HAVE A SIGNIFICANT BATTERY DRAIN, WHICH IS MORE LIKELY TO BE THE ALTERNATOR WITH FAILING DIODE(S), OR ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT POWER>GROUND FAULT. CHECK YOUR BATTERY LEADS AND GROUNDS AT FRUNK, AT STARTER, AT ENGINE FUSE BAY, ETC. IF YOU DISCONNECT THE ALTERNATOR (ENGINE) MAIN POWER FEED AT THE STARTER SOLENOID AND YOUR DRAW GOES AWAY ON THE MULTIMETER, THIS IS A GOOD INDICATION THAT YOU HAVE ALTERNATOR DIODE FAILURE.

THIS IS ALSO INDICATED BY THE DRAW NOT SHOWING UP WHILE REMOVING ALL FUSES AND RELAYS FROM FRUNK AND ENGINE PANELS. NONE OF THOSE FUSES OR RELAYS WILL AFFECT THE ALTERNATOR CURRENT DRAW, AS THE POWER BEING DRAINED IS GETTING FROM THE BATTERY TO THE ALTERNATOR DIRECTLY (UNFUSED AND NO RELAY).

AN ADDITIONAL INDICATION - WHEN CONNECTING MULTIMETER IN-LINE, OR RE-CONNECTING MAIN GROUND LEAD TO BATTERY, A SMALL SPARK FLIES, AND A CONCURRENT CLICKING IS HEARD FROM THE ALTERNATOR AREA. THIS IS YOUR RATHER LARGE PARASITE REVEALING ITSELF.

IF YOUR BATTERY DRAIN CURRENT DRAW IS SIGNIFICANT, CHECK THIS BEFORE TAKING APART THE REST OF YOUR ELECTRICAL TO CHECK CCU, ALARM, ETC.

Last edited by wicks; 09-26-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: UPDATE FOR FUTURE READERS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery drain