Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unforunately, yes it would be really bad.

Again, if he is saying it is a loss, most likely there is visible damage.

Stories like this make me fear Porsche ownership.

Hang in there--everyone here is hoping you receive some positive news.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Oh no. Howard, if it helps, I feel so bad about this that it's like it's happening to me personally.
So typically Boggiano! Thanks John for all the emails and support, you are a true friend and a prince amongst men!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
So typically Boggiano! Thanks John for all the emails and support, you are a true friend and a prince amongst men!
So typically Howard! Takes one to know one. :-)

964 owners/Rennlisters are just good, decent people.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

We were out today in the 964 and all I could think about was your poor car and your anguish.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
We were out today in the 964 and all I could think about was your poor car and your anguish.
Oh, no...I ruined your weekend too?!! (That's the price you pay for being a shoulder to cry on)

I'm always surprised how emotional I can get over the bloody car, I feel like a member of the family is mia every time I go out into the garage.

I think I'm making everyone else feel it too. Little Ben bought me one of his toy 964's last night and put it by the bed! (wish I could pull the engine out and stick it in mine!!)
Old 10-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rodders
Tough call - all we can do is offer advice.
My first engine went at 125,000 miles - my car from new, run on Mobile 1
- oil starvation to the third main
A subsequent incident on the next engine resulted in a check and found unusual wear to the third main - again !!
Seems to be a documented issue on the 964 - crops up every now and then on the board.
If your engine has done something similar I would replace all oil lines the tank and cooler.
Shrapnel gets every where and is impossible to clean 100%
Its a misery and you have my every sympathy ( but not my money )
Thats not a "documented issue": that was due to improper cleaning of the oiling system,....human factors.

Shrapnel does go everywhere, however its NOT impossible to clean the system 100%. It simply takes time and close attention to the smallest detail but many shops/people do not understand that. Been doing just that for 38+ years.

Properly done, a replacement engine can last for 150K+.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You could sell it as is, always an option.

I'd see what your mechanic has to say once the motor is torn down.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I might have to sell. But how easy is it to sell a cab requiring a rebuild? I could sell the car discounted and simply buy something else. I also love my car and was so ecstatic when I bought it after the C4 got totalled.

Mechanic reckons $15,000 is realistic for rebuild, all-in!!!!

Option is to find replacement motor and spend ~$2000 to swap. But then its finding an affordable engine.

Not sure I can afford any of these options for a while....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Park it till you can. That's what I'd do.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear that,

Park your car and earn a bit to buy a second hand engine with low miles, 15,000 for the rebuid is a lot of cash. But please, don't sell the car.

Regards from Canary Islands, Spain, If you need something tell..
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thing is once you've bought the replacement engine and dropped it in, it'll inevitably be a car worth less than with a rebuilt original engine, no?

Would it not be worth parting with the car and starting a fresh - buy a car with a freshly rebuilt engine?

Million dollar question - what is your sadly engineless 964 worth?

I'm so sorry about all your pain Howard.

Looking back, I bought my previous 964 for peanuts knowing it was a sieve - that's all I could afford at the time. Eventually it got to a point where it became inconceivable not to rebuild, the cost was too much considering other issues and so I bit the bullet, sold it and by that time ( since I knew it was inevitable ) I had saved to buy one that was in much better shape.

Sometimes letting go can be the best thing.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Thing is once you've bought the replacement engine and dropped it in, it'll inevitably be a car worth less than with a rebuilt original engine, no?

Would it not be worth parting with the car and starting a fresh - buy a car with a freshly rebuilt engine?

Million dollar question - what is your sadly engineless 964 worth?

I'm so sorry about all your pain Howard.

Looking back, I bought my previous 964 for peanuts knowing it was a sieve - that's all I could afford at the time. Eventually it got to a point where it became inconceivable not to rebuild, the cost was too much considering other issues and so I bit the bullet, sold it and by that time ( since I knew it was inevitable ) I had saved to buy one that was in much better shape.

Sometimes letting go can be the best thing.
Sadly, probably not much.

I have come across several rod knocking cabs in the past year. I could have picked up an otherwise really nice low miler $6500 asking, probably less, the guy just wanted out from under it.

I had someone call me up with a rod knocking coupe, just because he heard I was a Porsche guy and had a 964, it was also nice but needed bumper cover besides the engine for $4500.

Every once in a while I come across them on Ebay or Autotrader needing a motor for around the $7500 mark.

It is probably worth more parted out, unfortunately.

Another donner engine would probably hurt the value a little, and would make it a little harder to sell.

I see used engines all over the map. Donno if any of them are any good or not, but I am sure you could find a good used one from someone reputable and have it installed for somewhere around half of a complete rebuild, which sounds like more than a rebuild any way, must have damaged some major componets.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I dont think Porsche have matching numbers like American cars had . How would anybody know unless they were told. Seeing as these cars are not collectable not many people would even ask or care. Without the build sheet you wouldnt know unless it was different looking.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
Sadly, probably not much.

I have come across several rod knocking cabs in the past year. I could have picked up an otherwise really nice low miler $6500 asking, probably less, the guy just wanted out from under it.

I had someone call me up with a rod knocking coupe, just because he heard I was a Porsche guy and had a 964, it was also nice but needed bumper cover besides the engine for $4500.

Every once in a while I come across them on Ebay or Autotrader needing a motor for around the $7500 mark.

It is probably worth more parted out, unfortunately.

Another donner engine would probably hurt the value a little, and would make it a little harder to sell.

I see used engines all over the map. Donno if any of them are any good or not, but I am sure you could find a good used one from someone reputable and have it installed for somewhere around half of a complete rebuild, which sounds like more than a rebuild any way, must have damaged some major componets.
Where are you? Lowest I've come across is in the $8K range here in the Bay Area. And those need lots of cosmetic help, probably not worth $11-12K as whole, running cars. Last two I've had feelers out for didn't actually NEED engine work. Just oil leaks, super high mileage, plain worn out cars.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The pain just keeps on coming, doesn't it, Howard?

Thinking about your trauma and empathising may not help you practically, but be sure we are doing it.

Quick Reply: Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)