Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic experts - 90 tiptronic accused of slipping...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
tniccum
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic experts - 90 tiptronic accused of slipping...

Hi all.

I'm in the process of selling my '90 964 Cab with Tiptronic. I had a PPI done at a Porsche dealership. Everything came back as expected, with nothing needing immediate attention. However, the tech noted the transmission as "needeing future attention" and made the comment that "It slipped slightly going from 2nd to 3d under acceleration." When I chatted with him he said it was slight, and he even had a second tech drive it to verify that he was seeing something. He said he's seen "a lot worse," and that it was fine to drive.

Obviously this has raised a red flag with the buyer. I have an agreed upon price, assuming a clean PPI.

I've read a lot of the posts on this forum about the Tiptronic, many of which note that there is a funny feeling going from 2 to 3d when the torque converter locks up.

I plan to get a second opinion, but thought I'd ask here if anyone else has heard this diagnosis.

Thanks!

Last edited by tniccum; 09-21-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: sent too fast!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lock up converter possibibly working. I get a little changing gears sometimes.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
kenloen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the slippage stopped above a certain speed. so if the car is being accelerated hard, there should be no slippage - just a direct change. maybe the garage has found slippage when there shouldn't be?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
tniccum
Track Day

I took the car in for a second opinion, and they did find a slight issue when accelerating hard from 2nd to 3rd. Second opinion called it a "chatter" rather than a slip, and recommended a normal transmission service as we weren't sure when the last one was done. The tech felt that there was a good chance that would resolve the issue - but if it didn't, it was a good idea anyway, and the issue is so slight it wouldn't affect drivability for some time to come. I'll post up what we find out tomorrow after the AT Service.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 AM
tniccum
Track Day

Follow up/Resolution: We did the standard transmission service and the "chatter" went away.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic experts - 90 tiptronic accused of slipping...