Sponsored by:

Search for first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
tincob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search for first Porsche

Hi, I've been lurking for the past three months, reading through the archives and learning a lot - PPI, PPI, PPI before purchasing.

Like many, the 911 was a dream car growing up and now I'm finally ready to officially begin the search for my first Porsche 911. Initially, I started with the 911SC as the target but have slowly worked my way up to the 964.

Ideally, I can find a well documented targa with major updates already done. However, I wouldn't turn down a good coupe. Either C2 or C4 would work. This would be a purely weekend car as I ride the train to and from work and walk to the station. No plans for tracking - not enough time with two boys.

The funds for the purchase will be available in November so I would like to spend the next few months getting some seat time in a 964 as I have never driven or ridden one.

Is it uncool to test drive cars on classified with no intention of buying? What other ways to gain a feel for how the cars drive and ride?

I guess one option is to join the CT PCA...

If you know of anyone with a Targa coming up for sale, shoot me a heads up. I'm open to most colors other than Black or Green.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello and Welcome!
The hunt is one of the best parts of owning a Porsche.
Figuring out how you plan to use the car is also very important, and is sounds like you have that covered too.

I think it wouldn't be too cool to go joy riding in cars for sale by owner, but used car dealers, that's another story!

With regards to C4 vs C2. Please consider this quote from an article in April 1992's
"Excellence"

"if you are an inexperienced Porsche 911 driver who enters a turn a little too "hot", the Carrera 4 just hangs in there and makes the driver glad to have 1990s technology under the seat"
Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM
tincob
Intermediate

Thanks Laker.

Having the AWD also would not be a bad thing if I ever decide to drive it in the inclement Northeast weather.

Good suggestion about the car dealers. There's a blue Targa a little ways away as well as a few cabriolets.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if this car is still available you need to check it out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-to-sell.html
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Laker
Drifting

I got the C4 for safety (protection from myself ) and all-season tires to be able to handle colder temperatures, but I would never consider driving it in the snow. Road salt is any 20 year old car's worst enemy.

+1 on Smokin's car if your heart isn't set on a Targa.

Last edited by Laker; 09-20-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My advice is to drive both C2 and C4's. I have one of each and prefer the C2 feel. It feels more nimble and lighter. But I do agree that if you make a mistake, a C4 will be more forgiving.

Good luck with the search.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
tincob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 993James993
if this car is still available you need to check it out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-to-sell.html
If it's still available when my purchase fund frees up in November, I'll have to take a look.

I'm not too keen on the front chin spoiler though. The other mods sound great.

Rocket Rob, I definitely plan on driving both if I can find them at the dealers.

By the way, are the darker blues just as hard to keep clean as the black finish?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I was the same way. Always dreaming about a Porsche. That kid in Lakers avatar was/is like I was. Except I never got to sit in one when I was a kid.

I started my hunt for something like an sc, then gradually wanted a bigger and bigger motor and then really fell for the 964 look.

If you don't find anything here, go check out http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/ , there are PLENTY of cars for sale.

and yes, PPI is the way to go. If you can find something with a rebuilt motor, that would definitely be the way to go as well.

oh, and last but not least, welcome ...

(pictures when its official)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Laker
Drifting

The PPI needs to be performed by a shop that has lots of 964 and 993 experience. Just any old garage is a waste of money.

That kid in my avatar is "William" by the way and a reflection of myself, and dare I say many of us here.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, what's up with this no green thing?

Just kidding, I need to sniff around to see what's out there as I haven't updated my Targa thread lately (at a minimum it the thread will bounce to the top). If I see anything interesting I'll let you know (and update the thread if they have enough good information).

If you look through the thread (link in my signature) you will get a good idea of what's out there color wise (and % of total).

Good luck...and yes...I was that kid too. I still have the pencil drawing I did of a 911 when I was not more than 10 years old.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I have to say, that Nissan commercial that pops up after the video isn't so bad either ...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
tincob
Intermediate

My first Porsche driving experience was at my first summer job when I was in high school.

I was a valet at the local country club. I blinked when the the guy hiring asked me whether I knew how to drive a stick, but I said "yeah" and he never pressed the point.

Fast forward to next day and what do you know, the very first car that I jump into is a Saab 900 manual. I managed to pull away without stalling the car.

There were a few 911SCs that the valets all jockeyed to park. One of them was owned by a smokin' hot lady who very much was aware of the effect she was having on us whenever she swung her legs to get in and out of the car.

I remember how hard it was to work the floor mounted clutch on the 911s but I was a pro by the end of the summer. I got to drive a bunch of really nice cars as there was a nice curving road connecting the club house from the parking lot which was hidden by some trees. The holy grail was a Ferrari Dino but the owner only let the senior valet park it.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 AM
tincob
Intermediate

Update

I've been actively looking at all the sites for the past month and 964 targa's and coupe's are sure hard to find in Guards Red or Cobalt Blue. I've been trying to find something within 250 miles or so of CT which does reduce the pool. There sure are a boat load of Black coupes and cabriolets though.

I've looked at G50 Carrera's as well since I couldn't find a well priced 964 in the Northeast.

Here's one at a dealer http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national but it's quite pricey.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 AM
falcor
Racer

Originally Posted by Laker
The PPI needs to be performed by a shop that has lots of 964 and 993 experience. Just any old garage is a waste of money.

That kid in my avatar is "William" by the way and a reflection of myself, and dare I say many of us here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
You made my face leak like a 996 with radiator damage !
Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tincob
The funds for the purchase will be available in November so I would like to spend the next few months getting some seat time in a 964 as I have never driven or ridden one.
I bought my 964 having never driven a 911 before.
I'd recommend buying one without a test drive and making things more exciting ... (but obviously get a PPI).

Quick Reply: Search for first Porsche