Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I FINALLY figured out what my intermittent cut off issue was! Now? Time to sell!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I FINALLY figured out what my intermittent cut off issue was! Now? Time to sell!

As some of you know... I would occasionally post on here over the past few years in reference to a intermittent cut off issue. The car would run fine for 10, 100 or 1000 miles... Then (usually when going over a bump or hard turn) the car would lose power, cough and sputter and shut off. Sometimes it would just cough and sputter and then regain power. It never left me stranded but it occured often enough to make me nervous about taking it somewhere on a long trip. A few weekends ago I took it out and it was really acting up. I didn't even get out of my subdivision. I limped back home and decided I had had enough. The next morning I installed two new coils that I had ordered a few weeks before. No dice. Then I spent hours going over old threads here and on the Internet in general. I kept coming back to the TSB on the mass airflow sensor connector. I thought I had performed the fix a few years back but it was easy enough to check. I pulled off the connector and checked. Yup... I did it. I clipped off the tie strap to make sure it was done correctly and it was.

So... I was trying to pop the connector back in when I felt a rubber hose running across the back of the engine. It was getting in my way trying to plug the connector back in. I pulled it over and up to get it out of the way and plugged the connector back in. I pulled the rubber hose back down and found that it was constantly rubbing/bouncing around on the back of the connector. NO.. It couldn't be THAT stupid a fix. I pulled the hose back up and out of the way and rerouted it enough so that it would no longer come in contact with the back of the connector. I started it up. Man... What a difference. The lope in the idle was gone. I took it out. WOW... What a difference! No hesitation, no stumbling.. Nothing but pure power. I cannot believe that this was the culprit all along. This is such an easy fix but it was one of those "Out of sight, out of mind" type things. I hadn't seen anyone else with this fix for their issue. (And there are A LOT of "hesitation and other intermittent issue" threads around here.) If you have hesitation or an intermittent power issue... This only take 30 seconds to check and costs you nothing!

So... This is my baby up for adoption...

A beautiful interior...

Big Red Calipers up front and RS Calipers in the rear...

Rennline Pedals plus tons more stuff...

67,305 pampered miles...

A few of the particulars when I purchased it at 53k miles...

RUNNING GEAR
Andial prepped engine at 50k miles;
- Heads machined for cylinder upgrade
- New valves, valve guides, valve springs, rings, cams, intake manifold
- Sport B&B muffler
- Bilstein sport shocks with H&R springs... Andial installed, aligned and corner balanced
- Shock tower brace
- New brakes at 50k miles Front has Big Reds and cross drilled rotors and the rear has RS calipers and cross drilled rotors
- New Club Sport lightweight flywheel and clutch, pilot bearing and throwout bearing

INTERIOR
- New leather throughout by Auto International, San Diego
- New radio - Blaupunkt Toronto & 10 disk CD changer

EXTERIOR
- Wheels - 16" club sport factory wheels
- Porsche Turbo Tail
- Flag mirrors replaced with teardrop style

So.. That was the way it came to me back in September of 2002. This is what I have added...

- Cylinder Head Temp Gauge (In place of the manual decklid switch) Looks factory and is a VDO gauge.
- Custom chip by Jason Andreas to solve the idle issue caused by the lightweight flywheel (Thanks Jason!)
- Stainless Steel cat bypass installed but original cat comes with it
- K&N air filter installed but complete OEM airbox is also included
- Front splitter
- Stock front corner lenses replaced with clear
- Chrome Halon Fire Extinguisher and mount, driver side front
- Stainless steel door sills with Porsche logos
- Customized interior door handles with logo
- Chrome gauge bezel rings
- Red Optima Battery (New, 4 months ago)
- Battery tender specifically designed for Gel Cell Optima Batteries
- Extra set of coils
- Complete shop manuals
- Code reader
- Enthusiast Companion
- Porsche Spec book
- Custom Mats (Originals are included)

When I bought it she had 53k miles and in 9 years I have put 14k miles on it. I have all the receipts from the PO totalling $25K+ in the 5+ years that he owned it. He spent A LOT of money on the engine and interior. (The stock interior was black, he switched it to camel leather.) This was a California car and has zero rust.

Ratings

- Engine - 10 - I really don't think that you will find a better running engine than this one now that I solved the intermittent issue. Engine was basically rebuilt 17k miles ago. This engine is set to go for 200k+ miles now!

- Exterior - 9 - Prior owner had driver side rear quarter painted as it was keyed. He also had the hood resprayed because of stone chips. Obviously the rear tail and front splitter has been sprayed. All paint matches perfectly and was done professionally. Exterior does have a few small stone chips and the bottom leading edge of the front splitter has stone chips. A few topical scratches that can be easily polished out. But overall... The paint shines like a mirror!

- Interior - 9.8 - The ONLY thing that takes away from this interior being 100% is a little slight wear on the driver's side seat bolster. I have a bunch of original and other new floormats. I had the custom ones made when I first got the car. There is also a rear shelf mat as I keep the rear seats folded down all the time. The 10 disk Blaupunkt CD changer is mounted in the passenger side rear.

This is obviously not a stock unit. But for those looking to make these upgrades you can save a ton by buying this with everything already done for you. I know that this isn't everyone's cup of tea but it will make someone a VERY happy camper!

Now... What it needs... A windshield. I was on the beltway when a large rock hit the windshield creating a big star crack. I doubt it can be repaired, it will need a new windshield. I wanted to fix it but never found a suitable place to have it done. I have heard there can be problems if there is an overzealous windshield repair. When they cut through the rubber trim they can gouge the metal around the windshield frame and, if not repaired then, can lead to rust. It also needs the rubber seal that goes from the fan housing to the blower. I looked all over in PET and couldn't find a part number. No big deal in either case but these do need to be fixed. It should probably have a valve adjustment done in the next 5k-7k miles as well.

This has only seen one light rain sprinkle while I have owned it. The tail of a pop-up thunderstorm while on the beltway. Other than that, it has never been driven in the rain or (God forbid) the snow! It has never been driven until the spring rains have washed off all the salt. (Yes... I have been extremely **** about this car.)

I am not sure what to ask. It comes with a lot, has been extremely well cared for and is clean as a whistle. If anyone wants specific pics... Just ask. I took a ton of them today and posted 5 of them here. I can email anyone whatever they want. I have a folder about an inch thick with receipts showing what has been done over the years.

Anyone have an idea of what I should ask? Comments? Offers?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Rick,

Long time no see - car looks great & GLWTS but why get rid of it?

Marc
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Love your car...FYI the fan duct shroud is 964 106 403 02
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear that you fixed the cut out issue. I had the same and followed the TSB and modified the plug to the AFM. The TSB also says in point 8 that the vent hose to the rear needs to be moved away from the AFM and its retaining tab needs to be bent to secure it. I too think that it was that which solved the issue more than modifiying the plug.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc, I have way too many other projects and could use the money. 14k miles in 9 years is not doing it justice...

Silvertarga... Thanks for the part number! I looked all over.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Gorgeous car, GLWS.
Would anyone happen to have that TSB handy?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you sorted this out. Ironically i followed your thread/postings when I first got my car a year back or so because I was getting the same cut out issue. Did the TSP and fixed it just as you found out. Sucks you are letting yours go, but please post a price as I might have an interested buyer down the road in Severna Park
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing I did was check the date of the original post, because it's been FOREVER since we've seen Rick post anything! GLWS, and if I didn't already have a Porsche, your car would definitely been a nice one to buy. Always loved the mods you did- very tasteful.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Gorgeous car, GLWS.
Would anyone happen to have that TSB handy?
Here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
90porsche08.doc (131.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
shiro666
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unh....

PM Sent.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ken

Originally Posted by shiro666
Unh....
PM Sent.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Considering the mods, miles and all the stuff that comes with it... Is $26k - $27k too much? If so... Where should I be? I went through the posting of what has been paid lately and others on line. Mine might be a little high but it has A LOT of goodies.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

what a nice 964. good luck with the sale.......
Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lately I've been wondering if documented engine work is worth extra $... IMHO, I think it is. Getting anything major done can add up to way past $10K...

I have a nice car, but can't document the work, as it was from the PO... but with 200K on the clock, the engine is running so well that something has to have been done... but what exactly, not sure.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods are always like home improvements, some return close to dollar-for-dollar (I tend to think of suspension work in that category), while other stuff (major engine refreshes) for some reason don't. But when I look at your car, the condition, the total package, and being a Cali car with 67K on it... Let's just say, at the $26,500 mark , someone would be getting an absolutely screamin' deal. I always knew your car was nice, but I never knew just how nice until I read your description.

Good Luck With Sale, but you won't need it. This beauty will be snatched up quickly, methinks.

Quick Reply: I FINALLY figured out what my intermittent cut off issue was! Now? Time to sell!