Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI leak down test results

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
sonauto
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it looks great, I am not sure if I feel confident enough about buying a car unseen.
At the moment I am looking closer to the East coast, I am from the New England area.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In my search for a 964, I found a car that looked like a good candidate and asked the seller a lot of questions, received plenty of photos, and even talked to the seller's mechanic (which convinced me that the mechanic was not too hot). I felt good enough about the car to fly out to Chicago to see it, and then I took it to a different shop for a PPI. After I was satisfied with everything, the seller and I completed the transaction and I drove back to DC.

Are you willing to travel to see a car once you find a promising candidate?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Son, for my own info I'd like to jump back to the leak down test on the 964 you passed on. Did the mechanic who did the PPI tell you "not major" "rings" on the 25% cylinder? I'm wondering if rings get a higher leak down % threshold vs valves before it is considered a major problem.

BTW, the leak down on the '91 964 I bought a few months ago was less than 5% on all cylinders except for #1 which was 18%. I was also told (by the PPI mechanic) that it was leaking past the rings and no big deal. I thought hard and bought the car and so far nothing but good driving (knock on wood).
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sonauto
Yes it looks great, I am not sure if I feel confident enough about buying a car unseen.
At the moment I am looking closer to the East coast, I am from the New England area.
I would say you are limiting your options by looking closer to NE area.
Porsche producton during the 90-94 MY was quite low relative to all time production of the 911. Expand your search...Nationwide.
It really boils down to due diligence, inspection, PPI, records, previous owner, timing, luck, gut..etc. Everything is a risk.
You are wise to pass on the high leakdown car.

Next...!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a '90 C4 in southwestern Connecticut at a good price.

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars...B/110706B.html

Quick Reply: PPI leak down test results