Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WooHoo - Paintwork is done - RS ducts and ducktail (Warning, large pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus964
Thanks!

Nski - I've got KW V3's w/Rennline camber plates, larger rear bar with 'Cup' car rear adj links, and tower brace going on in the next week or two, (taking her down to 'Cup' height +5mm methinks, and the Rufs are being reshot as we speak in satin-black and matte-silver lips. Later on, I'll be looking for some manual sport seats and already have the Momo wheel to slap in.

The other upgrades I've already done are: Euro RS clutch/pp/lwfw, SW chip, B&B header exhaust, RS motor mounts w/Rennline gusset, and 'Cup' heater bypass.

She's right at 2,900 lbs w/half a tank of fuel right now, and I would like to drop it down a bit more w/out giving up A/C but we'll see.
Must be awesome after lower down the ride height.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I like it....a lot!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
Must be awesome after lower down the ride height.
I can't wait to get the suspension sorted - I really haven't been able to enjoy the car yet because it's just not 'planted' yet. I'm thinking once the V3's are set up and the car is corner balanced and dialed in - it will make a big difference.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Gorgeous! Well done. Good quality paint too.

Is that your GTV in the first shot?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken D
Gorgeous! Well done. Good quality paint too.

Is that your GTV in the first shot?
Thanks! And good eye - yes that's an '83 Alfa GTV6 - really fun when that V6 screams to redlline!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 AM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pics, dude! I can't wait to go for a ride after you get the suspension sorted. It will be transformed.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Well I finally took the plunge and started to make my '91 Maritime C2 a little more 'me'. Next week the car goes to Rothsport for its new KW V3 setup, and the Ruf's are currently at Skip's Wheel Werks being stripped and reshot in black w/matte silver lip. But this thread is about the paintwork I had done recently.

I sweated over where to take the car for a long time. Mechanically in the NW there are several really good shops including race shops that are awesome, but knowing where to take my pride and joy for paintwork that would exceed the factory finish wasn't as easy. My research turned up Canyon Auto Rebody in Mehema Oregon as the place I felt would do the job to my satisfaction. Chris Jones the owner was friendly, down to earth, and excellent to work with - when I visited his shop (compound of shops really) I knew I was in the right place.

Deep experience with, and all the correct shades of, Glasurit, experience working on all manner of Porsches, as well as Ferraris and other exotics, one of very Cellette frame jigs in Oregon (including all the attachment pieces for each Porsche model). When I dropped off my car, a real '63 289 Cobra was sitting on the lift two doors down, a project for another customer that he's been restoring from its former drag-racing days in the 70's (yikes).

Chris was mindful and communicative of any surprises he found, and of budgetary impacts. Also, he was happy to snap several pictures of the progress for my records which was really cool and gave me a great feel for the progress being made. To top it off, the shop rate that he charges Porsche club members is borderline crazy (in a good way for us).

I am thrilled with the results and can heartily recommend Chris. Below is what I had done, and a slew of pics of the work. On the pictures - (someone please let me know via pm if these take forever to load - I may just post a link to a slideshow if they're too much - thx)

The work was as follows, some new pieces and correcting issues from previous owner:

- Prep and paint carbon fibre RS ducts and fiberglass ducktail (both Getty)

- Repair scuffs on front bumper and repaint

- Reweld right-side jack point which was nearly ripped off (it was folded under car, inches away from oil lines !!!) and repaint

- Repair left side door which had a broken check strap and had been overstroked, causing the bottom edge to be bent out and to tear the strap bracket on the door frame. This included adding a new strap and reinforcement brackets to the door(which he fabbed to save me money on the kit) and rewelding the backside welds for the strap bracket on the a-pillar

- Same as above for right side door, although damage was much less

- Strip front trunklid (due to poor respray at some point in the car's life) and repaint

- Repair and repaint front wings (rock chips)

when they welded the check strap mount did they also weld it from the back, and if so do you know how they accessed the back?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Yes, they re-welded the backside also since they were cracking too. They didn't remove the front fender - I believe they had room with the door removed to get in there...

Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Beautiful color and a great paint match. Enjoy!

Andreas
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Yes, they re-welded the backside also since they were cracking too. They didn't remove the front fender - I believe they had room with the door removed to get in there...

thanks for the info
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How was the quality and fitment of the Getty brake ducts? I have been looking at getting a set.

Marc

Quick Reply: WooHoo - Paintwork is done - RS ducts and ducktail (Warning, large pics)