Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Hawk's monday post (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/639998-hawks-monday-post.html)

hawk911 06-20-2011 10:37 AM

Hawk's monday post

Well, did over 300 miles in the Porsche saturday with our club. Hit lots of great backroads west of Madison, WI. the car itself performed flawlessly. The top was up all day because the passenger side motor is toast. It spins the motor, but apparently there's not enough worm drive left to grab the actual gears and release the top. I'll be looking for a replacement VERY soon!

Gallery here of the full day. Still shots are me, moving is from my wife's eyes :D

Oh yeah- we almost happened onto the set of Wild Hogs II. One of our stops was at a park right next to a bar- a biker bar. They had about 75 bikes there, and boy did we get the eye when we pulled up. Nice people, but it sure was funny to see 24 Porsches pull into a place with more ink than a newspaper printing shop.

http://hawkphotography.smugmug.com/C...7628080_TkxsjS

so what did you do?

Rocket Rob 06-20-2011 11:39 AM

Geoff - I'll close my thread and we can use yours.

Had a great weekend. Spent all day Sat and most of Sunday in the garage. I finished up my GF's Honda Civic - alternator, timing belt, water pump, crankshaft oil seal project. I was in the reassembly phase. The alternator tension bracket bolt appeared to be stripped. I could see stripped threads in the block but deeper in the hold, I could see good threads. I purchased a set of longer bolts at Lowes. The original bolt was a M10 x 1.50 x 20mm. I purchased 25mm and 30mm size bolts. The 30 was too long so I ended up using the 25. I assembled the rest. I used the impact gun to tighten the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. Took a bit to burp the cooling system. When I took the car for a test drive, the temp gauge went almost full hot. I began to worry so I turned on the heat and the engine began to cool a bit. The heater then stopped giving out heat for about 5-10 seconds and then it began heating again. I'm guessing there was a air bubble in the heater loop. When I got home the temp was at the half way point and appears to be running properly. The Haynes manual didn't mention having to open the heater circuit but I guess that was intuitively obvious.

I tried the AC and it was cooling. The belt squeaked a bit at first but then stopped. I may need to tighten that belt some more. I asked my GF to let me know if it squeaks again. I don't have the official Honda belt tension gauge, so I'm winging it.

Meanwhile, I had friends over for a BBQ on Sat. The weather was terrific! Sunday night, my GF and I watched "North by Northwest". She had never seen it. I thought she should since we will be seeing Mount Rushmore on our vacation next month.

Chimera 06-20-2011 12:40 PM

Nice pics Geoff! Thanks for sharing.

Doc

tbennett017 06-20-2011 12:54 PM

New spoiler wall for the P-car, and further obsession over the black paint. I really need to get over it and accept that black paint is what it is... a poor career choice...

Also got new Conti tires... great grip and amazingly quiet. Having fresh rubber (plus tread design) makes a huge difference in the noise level. I need to go back to the tire joint as they're not exactly balanced right. Otherwise very pleased.

KaiB 06-20-2011 01:41 PM

I've been driving!

jimq 06-20-2011 01:49 PM

I drove the Turbo in the rain Saturday night so now it is nice and clean :evilgrin:

hawk911 06-20-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by KaiB (Post 8650715)
I've been driving!

I don't doubt it! :bigbye:

hans57 06-20-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by hawk911 (Post 8650225)
Well, did over 300 miles in the Porsche saturday with our club. Hit lots of great backroads west of Madison, WI. the car itself performed flawlessly. The top was up all day because the passenger side motor is toast. It spins the motor, but apparently there's not enough worm drive left to grab the actual gears and release the top. I'll be looking for a replacement VERY soon!

Gallery here of the full day. Still shots are me, moving is from my wife's eyes :D

Oh yeah- we almost happened onto the set of Wild Hogs II. One of our stops was at a park right next to a bar- a biker bar. They had about 75 bikes there, and boy did we get the eye when we pulled up. Nice people, but it sure was funny to see 24 Porsches pull into a place with more ink than a newspaper printing shop.

http://hawkphotography.smugmug.com/C...7628080_TkxsjS

so what did you do?

Sounds like a weekend I had recently in southeastern Ohio. Great fun, top down for me though.
Which brings me to the question, have you heard of the cable trick with the top motors? That is what was preventing the drive on one of my motors. :rockon:

hawk911 06-20-2011 03:26 PM

do tell Hans!

911Jetta 06-20-2011 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You know you're going to have a great Father's day when the wife tells you..."go out a drive your car, come back in time for a special dinner."

I drove the car at least 5 times this weekend...and easily added at least 30 minutes of random driving to each trip.
I feel like I'm in high school again, just driving around (but this time I'm not bored or listening to music).

Hope all the dads had a great weekend!

Had the camera along...

hawk911 06-20-2011 04:35 PM

Nice Udo... gotta love those kinda propositions!

mroddis 06-20-2011 04:59 PM

I think this sums up Porsche owners...

This past weekend I attended a local show in West Van. Part of 'main street' gets shut down as cars park perpendicular to the street and on display. A great range of cars and people. I have been hunting for a 964 for a while now and drooled over the calibre of 964s represented. Even though there were only 4 they just about covered the range - a turbo, a targa, a C2, and an RSA. As part of the show, (and here's the exciting bit) the PCA club accepts donations to a children's charity and in return you sign up for a ride in one of the P-cars on display, up to a local ski hill once the show is done. It's magnificent to watch a stream of 45+ cars in line making their way from the water to the mountains.

I have been given some really great advice over this last year from one owner - a beautiful blue RSA - while I'm on my own hunt for the 964. I quickly donated for a ride in her car again this year, and just before the ride begins, she throws ME the keys and says, "you drive"!! That's right, she handed me the keys to her beloved car! I simply had the time of my life.

I cannot thank her enough for doing that - the drive solidified the attachment I've had with these cars for the last 38 years, and to actually drive such a great example, through some great roads, completely made my day. Her willingness to share in the fun, from someone she hardly knows, is testament to the whole culture surrounding these cars. People love them, they love to drive them, and they realize what a smile they bring to anyone that's dreamed of ownership.

So Susan, thanks again from a soon-to-be-owner. I can't thank you enough.

M.

FeralComprehension 06-20-2011 05:24 PM

I didn't drive anywhere, but I blasted my fan, fan surround and sunroof wind deflector. The deflector got paint (too big for oven) but the fan and shroud will get powder once I decide on an engine bay color scheme. Thinking semi-gloss black for most bits and a dark charcoal grey for the fan and other accents...

DWS964 06-20-2011 09:40 PM

This weekend was the BIG wedding event for son#2 and his lovely bride. At our house. With 130 people. No time behind the wheel of a Pcar. BUT, I did get the Packard back together and running and used it for some great shots with the wedding party. The theme for the wedding was a 30's family party. The guys wore white shirts with black vests. We got out all of the old shotguns and rifles for pics withe the cars. My favorite part of the day. Oh, and the party was pretty good too. I was The Last Man Standing at 3AM when I shut off the lights in the tent. I'm not a dancer but had a lot of fun on the dance floor. A great day for everyone. I will post some pics when available.
Oh, and I had a lot of discussions with guests about Porsches and had to explain why I have 3 and why that is a good thing.

hans57 06-20-2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by hawk911 (Post 8651052)
do tell Hans!

In a nutshell, the outside cable sheath needs to be trimmed so that the cable can extend further into the two top transmissions. Over a period of time the inner cable "shrinks" in length which causes it to disengage from the female input shaft of the top tranmissions. What you can do, is someplace near the motors behind the back seats is cut out a small portion, perhaps an inch at the most of the cable sheath, put the two fresh ends back together secure with a strong tape and you are good to go. This essentially lengthens the cable to fully seat into the transmissions. Now, the cable will drive the transmission as it did 20 years ago.
BTW, I found this tip out here someplace and was very happy with the results. Also, keep the transmissions tight to the body, that is a recurring problem that should be checked often.
Look into it and let us know.
Regards,
Jeff