Sponsored by:

JRZs for a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Question JRZs for a street car?

Ok may sound a bit crazy... But I have a set of custom valved bilsteins and h&r reds w monoballs on my RSA. It used to be a street/track car but I'm only using it for the street and an occasional instructors day at the track. I noticed the other day the snubbers and boots are trashed, and was going to change them out.

But since it is now a mostly street car I was thinking about swapping out the setup for a set of rebuilt JRZs that I had rebuilt for my other car, now sold. Adjusted softer with about the same spring rate I'm thinking I could get a better ride on the street with more flexibility.

Anyone done this? I've seen it plenty on 996/tts but not on 964s...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the 3-way adjustable JRZ's? I know from experience the separate control of low and high speed bump allows for a setup that is both very supple on bumps and potholes whilst at the same time giving superior control on the track. With dust boots fitted you can do about 30K miles between rebuilds.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'd be surprised at how well you can use the JRZ/Moton dampers on the street with a proper set of springs. Even a race car with 800/900 springs can be "nice" on the street. The biggest issue on a street car is where to mount the canisters... You'll feel the monoballs more than anything as they transfer all of the road vibrations through to the chassis and that degrades ride performance than a properly valved damper and stiff spring.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks guys that's pretty much what I was thinking. Over the years this car has gotten progressively more track oriented, and it's a blast on the track but a bit too much for the deteriorating streets around here. Think I'll try this. I can mount the canisters on the strut brace and the roll bar, I was going to use the aluminum mounts like the cup has. It has always had monoballs (not camberplates just the *****) is there a alternative out there with a urethane bush or ball seat?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about your mono-***** Sir ;-)

In my experience* these lead to a very insignificant increase in Noise and Vibration on a performance oriented car.

*964RS / Lancia Integrale Evo

Quick Reply: JRZs for a street car?