Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked a nice place to breakdown...(starter problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced the devilish top starter "nut" with this (no affiliation)
http://www.rothsport-racing.com/Prod...tarter-Nut.htm
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I don't mind replacing major systems on my car every once in a while. You have to expect that things will need to be replaced on a 20+ year old car. Though the cost may sting at the time I usually feel satisfied that the part won't have to be replaced for another 10 years....

So I'm a little pissed that a year and a half later I'm experiencing the same starter problem.

Over the past couple of weeks the dreaded...hard start situation has returned.
Everything feels good as you twist the ignition key, starter motor sounds good..then silence, and some clanging noises with a thud... see video.

Like 964 Plugs, is there a brand of starter that is much better than another?
Thread update:
First I want to that everyone for the help they provided. I was building up the courage to tackle the issue...but the last couple weeks have been very busy at home so I gladly dropped the car off at my tech. He hadn't seen the car in a year and I've been on the track a couple times since, so I felt the time was right for him to look over the whole car in addition to fixing my starter issue.

Starter issue - the part of the starter that engages with the flywheel would get stuck and wouldn't retract as it normally should (causing that horrible solenoid clanking noise). Maybe it could be fixed, but he installed a starter from a newer Turbo model (has improved seals?). GLAD I didn't tackle this myself!

With that taken care of I asked him to look at a couple more things (I didn't want to deal with at the moment)

Steering rack leak/loose steering wheel - A couple months back I heard a strange noise when making sharp left turns...then my steering wheel felt slightly loose. RL saved the day when a quick search pointed to low power steering fluid. What was the cause of the loose wheel? Fearing it was the power steering rack problem I almost started to take off the panel and tear into the problem...turns out my steering wheel was loose by 1 1/4 turns. Again, glad I didn't start taking everything apart at the steering rack...

Next I tried to have him install new rotors and pads. I've done a couple track day and lots of mountain miles, and it's been a while for the rear rotors. I can do the work, but since he had the car... Well again, I'm glad I didn't spend a long night in the garage doing it myself. He measures all the rotors and everything is still in spec. This guy just won't take my money!

40,000 mile gear oil change. Miles are miles, so he couldn't fight me on this one. Feels good knowing I've got fresh oil for 40,000 miles. Shifts great!

I'll save you from the other little details, but yet again I'm glad I sent the car off to my tech. No matter how much of your own maintenance you can do on the 964, it's always good to have a pro look at your car every once-in-a-while. In this case he saved me from my myself...and a lot of pointless time on my back, under the 964.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

there was a recall on the steering rack on the C2 - check it out - P might do it for you, they did for me

Quick Reply: Picked a nice place to breakdown...(starter problem)