Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wellcraft, that was good.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, someone deleted a post....

And Guy.... Just be glad you aren't fellow rennlister known as "OD". He introduced himself to the Off Topic section of rennlist by preaching a sermon about FEMA camps. All was going along swimmingly until a certain fellow lister found he used the same user name while trolling for single Romanian woman. Turns out he is married. His otherwise harmless thread went EPIC and is still to this date the most viewed thread in the P&C section of RLOT. That thread alone is worth the price of membership. Anyway, welcome to the club. It's safe to say that you have passed the hazing portion of joining the list. Now get your hand dirty.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No worries, found the replacement:

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
I grew up on a small farm town and no one in my town had a Porsche. My first gilmpse was a movie that featured a character that drove a 911 turbo. The impossibly wide rear end, the lines...I fell in love. That was 1983. I've wanted one ever since.

I paid top dollar for one and didn't get a PPI. After my purschase, and with only 79K on the clock, the following items have to be repaired:

Oil Leaks: Valve covers, timing chain covers, crank case leaks etc. etc. So many oil leaks that the engine had to be rebuilt and re-sealed.

$9,000.00 after only driving it 68-miles after purchase.

The mechanic got the engine apart and discovers that the cams (both) are serverly pitted and have flat wear spots - need new ones.

Pistons and rings - shot

Flywheel - shot

Now, I need a $14,000 complete engine build!!!!!! I only paid $24K for the car. Drove it 68-miles and $14,000.00!!!!

The breakdowns don't end there....

Alternator squeeking and needs replaced: $600.00

The HVAC system is throwing hot air into the cab - scorching hot, throw in another $1000.00 to get this sorted.

This, after the seller showed me receipts for $4800 for having the engine resealed just 4000 miles ago...

Search the web, this story is common.
And the original:

I grew up on a small farm town and no one in my town had a Porsche. My first gilmpse was a movie that featured a character that drove a 911 turbo. The impossibly wide rear end, the lines...I fell in love. That was 1983. I've wanted one ever since.

As I got older, and a bit wiser, I began to realize that the engineering of a 911 is simply wrong. Motor behind the rear axle. This is just wrong. I told myself that it give you extreme traction out of corners etc. But, it also is a major iabillity in older cars without PASM. 911's have EARNED their reputation as widow makers with snap oversteer; unless a driver completely changes the way the car is driven, older cars are not safe to drive hard by a novice.

They simply aren't.

This, of course, didn't talk me out of paying top dollar for a 964 with 79K on the clock.

I'm a novice, it was my dream car and I finally could afford it if I believed some of the lies the horned angel on my shoulder was telling. I should have listened to the good angel on my other shoulder!

These cars are junk! With only 79K on the clock, the following items have to be repaired:

Oil Leaks: Valve covers, timing chain covers, crank case leaks etc. etc. So many oil leaks that the engine had to be rebuilt and re-sealed.

$9,000.00 after only driving it 68-miles after purchase.

The mechanic got the engine apart and discovers that the cams (both) are serverly pitted and have flat wear spots - need new ones.

Pistons and rings - shot

Flywheel - shot

Now, I need a $14,000 complete engine build!!!!!! I only paid $24K for the car. Drove it 68-miles and $14,000.00!!!!

The breakdowns don't end there....

Alternator squeeking and needs replaced: $600.00

The HVAC system is throwing hot air into the cab - scorching hot, throw in another $1000.00 to get this sorted.

This, after the seller showed me receipts for $4800 for having the engine resealed just 4000 miles ago...

Search the web, this story is common. The 911 is supposed to be the grand daddy of them all. It just keeps getting better and evolving...Yeah right.

If Porsche can't get the placement of the engine right, you would at least think that after all these decades, they could figure out how to build a SIMPLE flat six that doesn't leak oil all over the damn place...or a HVAC system that works (reliably)!

Porsche has to hold the Cayman horspower and tire spec back so it doesn't kick the 911's tail...But the engine for the Cayman and Boxer commonly self destruct!!!!!!

I had an E39 BMW 530I with the M suspension. That was a car.

I am going to completely refurb this piece of sh*t, the right way, and then kick it out of my garage before something else falls apart on it.

The End.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OK, someone deleted a post....

And Guy.... Just be glad you aren't fellow rennlister known as "OD". He introduced himself to the Off Topic section of rennlist by preaching a sermon about FEMA camps. All was going along swimmingly until a certain fellow lister found he used the same user name while trolling for single Romanian woman. Turns out he is married. His otherwise harmless thread went EPIC and is still to this date the most viewed thread in the P&C section of RLOT. That thread alone is worth the price of membership. Anyway, welcome to the club. It's safe to say that you have passed the hazing portion of joining the list. Now get your hand dirty.
Where is this thread?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Where is this thread?

here it is with one correction....now I see that the "zero" (Obama) thread has surpassed it's view count.

https://rennlist.com/forums/politics...highlight=FEMA

Understand that the OP has been edited 100 times.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

...Also of note, because he is very busy, my mechanic didn't want to do the rebuild and wanted me to ship it to Paul Wier in Washington. However, I wanted a local builder so if there is a problem, I can deal with it locally. Also, I don't want to wait and wait and wait to get my engine back. I have no idea what Wiers waiting list is (I am sure he is very responsive and professional etc). Even having it done here in town, it is going to take 6-weeks until I can turn the key. I trust this guy and he is actually telling me to NOT spend here and there etc. He even resisted my insistance on the new P/C saying I should work with the ones I have to save money. But, I have gone this far and he is cutting me a break on the Mahle P/C's....
Where are you from? I can't personally speak from any recent experience, but I am familiar with Paul Weir's shop before they closed down, and relocated. You might want to do a search of the Rennlist archives before making a decision about where to have your work done. And if you're in the Seattle area, there are some good options that we'd be happy to tell you about.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

haven't seen much of Doug Bray on the OT forum recently. is he ok ?

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY