964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 Pages! WOW - I disappear to the AOR for a few days and this thing erupts. Hell, when I saw the thread length I thought it was another painful discussion about motor oil, brakes or tires. Or maybe a free oil give away? And then I read the title.....

The horse has been beat dead, mummified and turned to glue about what should have - could have done prior to the purchase. If you're really going to get this rig fixed it better be done right for $14,000. Did I read that the PO was giving back $4,000 to offset the cost of the rebuild? If that is true, then $10,000 is not a bad price for a rebuild. Updates and pictures would be nice, I would start a different thread and title it something snazzy, I can't think of anything right now because I am jet lagged like a **** but I am sure the "team" can think of a good title.

One day you/we may look back at this thread and laugh.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The cams problem looks more like impact than wear. Judging by the epoxy job, my guess is that the previous mechanic dropped it. That, or they filled it up and ran it before the epoxy dried and the oil was contaminated by the epoxy. OR....the previous mechanic didn't use enough ZDDP with his rebuild.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Guy not finding it funny, but if you read all my posts here goes to my same point seems like your jumping into repairs you don't know anything about and just trusting one mechanic. I think we have all suggested you should get a second pinion and try to learn as much as possible before spending more and more money.
Yeah...and not sure why. I'm in his own back yard and have asked in hopes of guiding him in a direction he might benefit from. He appears to have little interest in slowing down, asking questions and listening to the responses. It's like night and day from the other rebuild thread going on right now.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, it's not always perfect either. I got a PPI on my car, which had a $20K engine rebuild before I bought it. 10K miles later it spun a rod bearing. Had it repaired professionally for $14K, and drove it another 20K miles. Spun another rod bearing. So I rebuilt it myself, found that the oil breather hose had a slit in it, and the oil tank had a half inch of sand in it.

So, sometimes you get screwed, not intentionally, but screwed never the less.

I'm sorry for your unenviable position, but sometimes life gives you the cherry pits.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sundog
Well, it's not always perfect either. I got a PPI on my car, which had a $20K engine rebuild before I bought it. 10K miles later it spun a rod bearing. Had it repaired professionally for $14K, and drove it another 20K miles. Spun another rod bearing. So I rebuilt it myself, found that the oil breather hose had a slit in it, and the oil tank had a half inch of sand in it.

So, sometimes you get screwed, not intentionally, but screwed never the less.

I'm sorry for your unenviable position, but sometimes life gives you the cherry pits.
We should compare stories over a beer sometime. An $11,300 rebuild on mine. Hadn't even left the shop yet (impounded for non-payment) when I bought it. Four months later, it dropped a valve. Four rebuilds later I found the little puddle of shrapnel from that first valve failure, up high in the intake system, that kept dribbling down pieces of metal into the cylinders and wreaking havoc on various cylinders.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Just think about how good it will feel after it stops hurting so bad......lots of great advice from some very smart, experienced, and passionate folks on this forum.

And on the 'while you're in there' topic, the screws holding your rear center light don't look correct.

Welcome. Listen. Slow down, there's lots to learn!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While it's normally bad form to post PM's this one may shed some light on the cams in question.

The pitted lobe looks like a typical, high (very) mileage issue. It also could be the result of running crappy oil, or during some type of repair the technician got the rocker arms out of sequence. If a rocker with a wear pattern is installed on a different cam lobe, with its own wear pattern, this type of pitting/wear can occur in a short period of time or miles.

Usually, when top end work is done, and the cams/rockers look good, the rockers are laid out (this is the way my shop did it) on a large piece of cardboard with the cyl number and position (int or ex) marked for each rocker. They stayed there undisturbed until the assembly process, and were not even picked up for cleaning until it was time to install them, then it was one at a time start to finish.

There are also, unfortunately, mechanics out there who would look at light pitting and dismiss it for who knows what reason. There are also owners who won't let a technician replace pitted cams because of the cost involved. When cams are replaced, all of the rockers must also be replaced, or resurfaced by an expert with the tooling capable of putting the correct arc on each rocker face. The depth of any resurfacing must also be considered, because it wouldn't do any good to surface a rocker but machine through its hardness depth.

Lot's going on with cams/rockers,
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Nice thread title - and excellent advice!

Doc
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=altarchsa;8565425]THIS HAS TO BE A HOAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 2,777 views and 141 posts in just over 24 hours, you don't think this "Guy" is just jerking your chains?

With statements like:
Relying on his mechanic ("He's a pro and locally well known"), but he's confusing Varioram with our 964's;
Why shouldn't I install a lightweight flywheel;
Oil leaks everywhere;
Top end jobs vs. complete rebuild;
etc., etc.,
he's hit almost every common topic on the 964 Forum.

hillarious!! +964 Total BS Copy and Paste come on!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a moderator please put the thread back to it's original title.....'Porsche Junk'....it was far more entertaining before it got changed!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

fstockcarrera is spot on, in my opinion. I have resisted posting for this very reason. Chain pullin for sure. No mas!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

now to keep it going for another 15 pages........ and wait for it ....................................

WHEN THE ENGINE IS REBUILT WHAT OIL SHOULD HE USE? COMMENTS LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 AM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, I wouldn't ask for your advice on a bet. All you old men can get back to your card game and laughing at those who are new to your income level, bought a Porsche, and actually expected it to perform at under 80k on the clock. Stupid Newbie... Don't expect this car to be engineered to stand the test of time and actually run without leaking oil all over the engine and parking lot! It's only the most evolved car on the planet! Porsche is also the most profitable auto manufacturer on the planet...hmmm. I am going to stubbornly get this new hobby put back together and drive it with a smile. Maybe if I put 3/4 the purchase price into the simple flat six, it will reward me with a few seasons and a few thousand miles of driving before the
next major rebuild. I expected more. It can't keep up with a vette, a 335i, a maxima, a mustang, a Hyundai G for that matter. Not my opinion, just the way it is. Less the Hyundai and maxima (maxima maybe), not even same year to same year.

Like I said and you already know, it does have a very special appeal. I just wish part of it was solid engineering that stands the test of time. Take care. I have checks to write...
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
Trust me, I wouldn't ask for your advice on a bet. All you old men can get back to your card game and laughing at those who are new to your income level, bought a Porsche, and actually expected it to perform at under 80k on the clock.
the car could have been a honda with less than 20k on the clock, and i still would have got it checked.

as for lack of performance.. well, you bought a n/a widebody cabriolet
i guess some people should just stay away from cars.

Last edited by clutch-monkey; 05-22-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY