Sponsored by:

I did a bad, bad thing . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,672 Posts
Default I did a bad, bad thing . . .

So my cab wont start because the trickle charger has crapped out . . . no problem, I'll jump it off and charge with the alternator.

Problem is my wifes battery is not clearly marked pos/neg and I cross the leads.

Hey, is that smoke coming from both leads on the cab's battery -why yes, yes it is - and the jumper cables are hot as hell too. Disconnect.

While wondering how much a new electrical system is going to run me, I turn the ignition on and see if anything is working. To my suprise the car starts. The abs light, cabrio light, and rear wing light are now on, and the radio and speedo are inop.

Replace the abs fuse - light goes out, OK. Replace the 100A fuse to the stereo amplifier - radio still no worky, hmmm . . .

Check all accessible fuses, all are OK . . . cabrio light still on.

I'm going to take it in this week - anybody been here before? Any advice? (Besides the obvious)

As always, TIA.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:14 PM
windblown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a factory radio, if not you could have also blown the the inline fuse on the deck.
I just gotta say "whew!" for you; glad you did not fry your car. Good luck fixing your electric.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By reversing the charge, you probably burned some corrosion from between the battery posts and the cable terminals and from between the ground cables and the chassis, resulting in a better connection which allowed the battery to start the car.

I would have gone straight to purchase a lottery ticket after you found everything working 'cause you are one lucky guy!

PO crossed cables on my car just before I purchased it and fried the ECU. That's why I was able to get it. He took it back to the same shop where he had not paid a $11,300 repair bill for over two months. They impounded the car until the PO offered it for sale and I bought it.

Quick Reply: I did a bad, bad thing . . .