Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots done this weekend, but need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lots done this weekend, but need some help.

I got the car running this morning. It's been in hibernation since November.

My driver's side b-pillar snapped in November while I was trying to get the top to work automatically. Should have been content with manual. I will be from now on.

This weekend, I did the following:

1. Got the b-pillar back from being welded and reassembled the top.
2. Changed the blinker assembly so it now cancels when you straighten out after a turn.
3. Fixed my cruise control cable. When I pulled off the intake a year or so ago, the cable, with its tension, shot into the wall by the oil filter and the plastic near the cable's adjustment nut broke in two. I fixed it with super glue and a tie wrap. Crude, but it works.
4. Changed the oil. Went with Mobil 1 this year as Brad Penn is a drive to get to. By the way, Autozone (no affiliations) has a special, 5 quarts and a filter for $30. They don't carry our filters, but who cares. Worked out to $6 a quart and I have filters for my 3 other cars for free.

On to the problems....

1. My idle is erratic. It will stay at 750 or so steady sometimes, but will also jump up to 1500 steady. Other times, it jumps between 600 and 800.
2. My check engine light is on. I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery overnight to give it a hard reset. Or, this could be cruise control related?
3. My cab top warning light stays on. This isn't new, but annoying. I've tried to have the bottom microswitch open and closed when the top is down, but no change.
4. The cab top isn't aligned. When I close the top, it seems like its too far forward and to one side and won't latch unless I force the latches into place. Also, when the top is down, the canvas cab top boot cover is VERY snug. Another odd thing; with the top down, I used to be able to see the raised spoiler in my rear view mirror over the boot cover. Now, I can't.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. The ISV may need cleaning.
3. Mine too; I hope someone has a remedy.

Doc
Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 PM
user 783003
Banned

Drove it to work this morning despite the CEL. Drove fine. Idle still high. Almost 1800. After the cruise control cable broke, I tried to reconnect it and the idle was high. Will disconnect it tonight to see if that fixes the idle. Could high idle cause the CEL?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Could be the cruise cable for sure. If the microswitch isn't tripped to tell the car it is back at idle, it will throw a cel. If the cable is too tight, it could do that. I had a cel once when the floor mat wouldn't let the throttle pedal come back 100 %. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
user 783003
Banned

I didn't even consider that the Persian rug floor mats I got on ebay could be the cause.

Guess I'll have to live without cruise control. 3 speeding tickets in 12 months, I really was excited about cruise control.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

3. Check behind the clock and resolder all the contactpoints. Fixed my light!
http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/
Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Morten Skaar
3. Check behind the clock and resolder all the contactpoints. Fixed my light!
http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/
A check engine light? Or an airbag light? I don't remember anyone getting a check engine light from clock solder issues.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM
user 783003
Banned

Check engine light is gone. Disconnected and tied up the cruise control cable. Need to find an adjustment procedure for this or figure out if it's routed wrong.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
user 783003
Banned

Oh, erratic idle is gone too.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
user 783003
Banned

After searching the 964 and 993 groups, I can't seem to find an adjustment procedure for the cruise control cable. Righty-tighty or lefty loosey on the nut? Or is there an adjustment at the cruise control module?

Also, does anyone have a good picture of how the cruise cable is supposed to be routed?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Ref - 3 - This s probably the micro switch inside the overhead rotating locking arm box. The micro switch goes bad and the whole box has to be replaced - $4-500 per - best is just to remove light in gauge.
Ref top position when down - f it is too high - the rear micro switches on the left and right side on the gear box maybe out of adjustment - or the cable is slipping once the top gets so far down. If you replaced or repaired the "B" pillar after you had it welded - my guess is the micro switch positions need to be checked.
But since you are having alignment problems those need to be corrected first. This is a time consuming task, as you have to be very careful and adjust as you go.
What changes did you make when you replaced the "B" pillar.
Did you check it to see if it is the same length - and the angels are correct after it was welded??
Have you got the gear box covers off??
Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
user 783003
Banned

Regarding the b-pillar weld, it was as close to what I hoped for as possible. I didnt' have the passenger side off for comparison, so I can't be sure.

At this time, the bolts on the linkage from the transmissions to the top bows are loosened. The cab motors behind the seats are removed.

Since I've owned the car, the cab top ajar light in the dash has always been on when the top was down. It's never been on with the top closed. I'll play around with the microswitches that are attached to the passenger side transmission this weekend. Has anyone ever removed the switches and forces the circuit short or open to remedy this?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

My cab top warning light was caused by bad soldering behind the light on the clock! Worth checking..
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid
After searching the 964 and 993 groups, I can't seem to find an adjustment procedure for the cruise control cable. Righty-tighty or lefty loosey on the nut? Or is there an adjustment at the cruise control module?

Also, does anyone have a good picture of how the cruise cable is supposed to be routed?
Not a good picture, but one I had on file...........

Goes between airbox and alum manifold as I recall.

'89 C4
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

On the front left side of the engine directly below your picture is the master control for the cruise control - this is what controls the cable you have a picture of. It is bolted to the to of the engine and sandwiched in between the fuel rails, if you look under the intake manifold you can see it.
The cable you have a picture of runs down to this unit that has an arm on it that pules the cable -
I believe this arm is mounted on a rod with splines and is adjustable in either direction. ( earlier models ) If you have a later model unit then it is like the 993 model CC and the rod is only fitted on in one direction. Not much help - but something

Quick Reply: Lots done this weekend, but need some help.