Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Lots done this weekend, but need some help. (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/630962-lots-done-this-weekend-but-need-some-help.html)

user 783003 05-06-2011 12:06 AM

OK, I have an update on the top alignment. I've driven the car at least 80 miles a day since Sunday. Some of the roads I drive are pretty bumpy. I got a bit turned around on Tuesday and ended up on a bumpy dirt road. The whole time, I kept thinking that it may have been the easiest way to alight the top.

Tonight, for the first time since Sunday, I opened the top to take some pictures of the seal on top of the windshield. When I closed it, it closed fine. Open, close, open close, no issues. Also, my cab top warning light is now off when the top is closed. Whoo hoo!!! Also of note, I noticed this morning that the passenger side b-pillar was welded in the past. It's not near as nice a job as I had done on the driver's side. Now I know why the top was manual when I bought it.

Now to fix the cruise control cable so my idle doesn't go haywire and cause a CEL. Also, need to fix that cab top warning light so it doesn't stay on when the top is down.

Slicks to mount on spare rims this weekend and magnetic numbers on the way to get ready for the first AX of the year. Also new 993 motor mounts, R134 conversion kit and receiver/drier coming Monday. I should have done all of this in the winter, but even with the heater in the garage, it's so tough to get motivated when the 6 month agony is beating down on the midwest.

DAVISRILEY 05-06-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid (Post 8530866)
OK, I have an update on the top alignment. I've driven the car at least 80 miles a day since Sunday. Some of the roads I drive are pretty bumpy. I got a bit turned around on Tuesday and ended up on a bumpy dirt road. The whole time, I kept thinking that it may have been the easiest way to alight the top.

Tonight, for the first time since Sunday, I opened the top to take some pictures of the seal on top of the windshield. When I closed it, it closed fine. Open, close, open close, no issues. Also, my cab top warning light is now off when the top is closed. Whoo hoo!!! Also of note, I noticed this morning that the passenger side b-pillar was welded in the past. It's not near as nice a job as I had done on the driver's side. Now I know why the top was manual when I bought it.

Now to fix the cruise control cable so my idle doesn't go haywire and cause a CEL. Also, need to fix that cab top warning light so it doesn't stay on when the top is down.

Slicks to mount on spare rims this weekend and magnetic numbers on the way to get ready for the first AX of the year. Also new 993 motor mounts, R134 conversion kit and receiver/drier coming Monday. I should have done all of this in the winter, but even with the heater in the garage, it's so tough to get motivated when the 6 month agony is beating down on the midwest.

Sounds great. As far as the top open light, iirc there is a microswitch that might need to be adjusted. Not owning a cab, ever, I don't know where it is. Good to hear about the ax, any chance that we will see you at Putnam for a de this year?

user 783003 05-06-2011 09:10 AM

Just googled Putnam. Any of. The PCA regions' dates OK? Cab without a roll bar OK? Street tires or AX tires?

DAVISRILEY 05-06-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid (Post 8531410)
Just googled Putnam. Any of. The PCA regions' dates OK? Cab without a roll bar OK? Street tires or AX tires?

Street tires fine, cab fine with top up, no roll bar needed. Take a look at this, has the info you should need

-nick 05-06-2011 10:20 AM

No region should let you DE a cab without a rollbar. Some regions will let you AX without one (NCR does if you're not on R tires). Relatively safe at an AX, but there are lots of videos of roll-overs on the track.

Laker 05-06-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY (Post 8531424)
this, has the info you should need

:cheers: for the link

"...Convertibles with factory installed roll bars will be permitted. For all other convertibles a roll bar that meets the “broomstick” test is required...."

user 783003 05-06-2011 11:55 AM

DR, I checked out your link and on that page, it says

"Convertibles with factory installed roll bars will be permitted. For all other convertibles a roll bar that meets the “broomstick” test is required."

I can't imagine, even if the cab top is considered a factory installed roll bar, which I doubt it is, that I would feel comfortable risking rolling over with that thing being my protection. Especially considering that I just found the pasasenger side b-pillar was welded and I just had the driver side b-pillar welded.

No plans for a roll bar, so I'll skip the DE's until I get a coupe one day.