Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car has left me stranded in palm springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I tried replacing the battery and cleaning the ground connections on the battery, it looked good for a while, the car idled for about 25 minutes before the problem started happening. It never stalled out but it did start getting worse before I shut it off. It seems so strange that the longer the car is running the worse the problem gets. I'll move onto the next simplest possible fix this week. I have an appointment to take the car into Callas up in Torrance next Thursday if I can't get this figured out.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch

you have a problem upstream of the relay, battery, altenater , igniton switch, wires and not down stream like the fuel or ignition components.

the relay clicking is you car trying to tell you something.
I'm in agreement here, its got to be the socket for the relay or the ignition switch/wiring that is feeding power to the relay. Lets see if I can be smart enough to figure out how to investigate these things before thursday.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert for sure, but I'm betting you've got some sort of fuel-delivery problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 PM
sturm
Racer

In the latest Excellence magazine one of the project cars (a 914 with a 993 engine) had maybe a similar problem that turned out to be a bad coil that caused the ignition module to overheat.

Just another idea........

'93rsa 3.8
Old 06-09-2011, 04:16 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I've been so quiet but to be honest I simply ran out of time to work on my car. I have been rushing to get my race car ready for an endurance race later this month and the 964 has just been sitting. I decided to take it into Callas Rennsport and let them have a crack at it knowing they would figure out... it would just be $$$. I couldn't believe it but it turned out to be the SECONDARY coil. As I mentioned before I had replaced the primary but didn't try swapping out the secondary coil, I wish I had, I could have saved myself several hundred dollars in labor.

But anyways the car is back on the road and its time to start shopping for that suspension!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the solution!

Doc

Quick Reply: My car has left me stranded in palm springs