Sponsored by:

DILEMMA- how should i go forward

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DILEMMA- how should i go forward

I am planning the new wave of modifications to my car, and have already decided and budgeted for the suspension upgrade.

Next on the list is engine/ gearbox/ brake and diet, I want to prioritise and would like some advise from Rennlist experts who have gone through this process.

1. Suspension OK decided how to upgrade .

2. Engine. Motec 330 hp.

3. Gearbox: should i go for 6 speed 993 mk1 before upgrading the engine?, in racing logics gearbox goes usually before engine...what about changing 3rd 4th and 5th on my current box so i can keep my LSD?

4 Brakes: last year i upgraded rears to 4 pistons and refurbished the whole kit painting and changing valves on all calipers. With the additional performance i am now planning I might need big reds, which i could find cheap but then i need to also change the whole circuit, the valve to a 23&/25mm and that becomes more complex and eventually expensive

5 Diet: my car is currently at 1260kgs with a 3/4 full tank, i still have air con RS interior and radio with 1 small speaker, i would like to lose more weight specially at the rear but don't know where to start from as would like to keep the ac. One though would be to forget about the engine upgrade and lose 50 kilos more? what makes more sense?

All ideas are welcome

Last edited by sergiDA; 04-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Stefan964
Intermediate

My recommendation (because I already went trough that process):

Stop wasting money in heaviliy modifying an ordinary 964, buy an original RS. Short term it may be a significant investment, mid to long term you will not loose money with that option.
Besides of that, no matter how much you modify your car, the drivability and response of an RS is so much different and better, I changed to an RS and would always do it again.

Stefan
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Stefan I have had my c2 on sale for 3 months to go after the RS but the demand here has been very slow, You know the spanish market is really upside down and people basically don't have any money... these 3 months have made me cool down.

I have seen many RS including the one from your friend, but without selling the c2 I don't want to embark on the RS purchase and that's why i have decided on upgrading mine...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see a downside to heavily modifying a ordinary 964 accept for resale value. You can build a better car than a 964 RS for way less that way. Think about it, a RS typically costs around $100,000-$120,000 US dollars. I can buy a great 964 in the US for under 20k that leaves about 80-100k in mods. So Lets see 20 year old RS technology vs state of the art motorsport technology. JRZ dampers or Moton dampers will simply destroy the factory RS suspension. Hell you could even put on factory ceramic brakes at this price point. The RS is a better financial investment and is going to go down in history as one of the best factory cars but I just don't see the advantage other than that. I feel you could build a better handling faster 964 for a little over half the price of a standard RS.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

SergiDA what suspension are you running right now? what is your price budget? Seems to be a fairly decent amount since you are considering a motec conversion
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sergiDA
....I have had my c2 on sale for 3 months to go after the RS but the demand here has been very slow, You know the spanish market is really upside down and people basically don't have any money... these 3 months have made me cool down....
Expand outside Spain. ebay.de .nl .se .dk These folks come to America to buy nicely sorted C2s That is, if you serious about selling. But if you are serious about racing and getting the best bang for the buck, keep upgrading.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

i am running hr sport kit.

My plan is to invest 10-15k Euro this year
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

3. Gearbox: should i go for 6 speed 993 mk1 before upgrading the engine?, in racing logics gearbox goes usually before engine...what about changing 3rd 4th and 5th on my current box so i can keep my LSD?

All ideas are welcome
a stock 993 uses either a g50/20 or g50/21 depending on the year and country. They have no real track advantage over a 964 g50/xx. Of course some of the 964 g50s are better than others.

Now if you can get a motorsports g50/30, 31/32 that is a different story

here's a comparision of the 5 spds and 6 spds, unfortunately the 5 is not directly comparable here because I used different rear tires, but it's close

I would want an effective asymmetric lsd no matter which trans is used
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're doing the right thing to improve it to suit your own needs rather than try and sell it and buy an RS. With the RS rapidly approaching a market value of 100,000 euro, they are becoming a collector's car that will spend more time safely tucked up in a garage rather than on a track
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
GT TWO
Racer

As Boxsey says the RS's will become too precious to drive on track.

You said in a previous thread that you are a 'driver'

So make the car what you want it to be and go chasing GT3's
Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
a stock 993 uses either a g50/20 or g50/21 depending on the year and country. They have no real track advantage over a 964 g50/xx. Of course some of the 964 g50s are better than others.

Now if you can get a motorsports g50/30, 31/32 that is a different story

here's a comparision of the 5 spds and 6 spds, unfortunately the 5 is not directly comparable here because I used different rear tires, but it's close

I would want an effective asymmetric lsd no matter which trans is used
Hi Bill;

Thanks for the chart... What would you do if you were me, buy shorter ratios on 3/4 and 5th gears? Any recommendations where to purchase these?

Bye
Sergi D
Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT TWO
As Boxsey says the RS's will become too precious to drive on track.

You said in a previous thread that you are a 'driver'

So make the car what you want it to be and go chasing GT3's

I am good at giving advices but I am terrible at applying them for my own case...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM
GT TWO
Racer

I am good at giving advices but I am terrible at applying them for my own case...

I am the same.

Good luck with your car!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
JBaker1121
Advanced

great info in here... and nice cars
Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Stefan I have had my c2 on sale for 3 months to go after the RS but the demand here has been very slow, You know the spanish market is really upside down and people basically don't have any money... these 3 months have made me cool down.

I have seen many RS including the one from your friend, but without selling the c2 I don't want to embark on the RS purchase and that's why i have decided on upgrading mine...
If you are serious about selling your C2 have you thought about advertising here in the UK on Pistonheads or the Porsche Club of Great Britain forum?

There is a vibrant market here for track-focused C2s - mainly due to the active trackday scene combined with our overcrowded and over-speed-camera'd roads making it less fun to use these cars anywhere but on a race circuit.

Suspension upgrades, LSD, no sunroof are all very much plus points. And the number of C2s being turned into RS inspired track cars has really pushed prices up.

Left hand drive isn't a problem, in fact it's very sought after. And traveling to view a car in Spain is no problem either - as you probably know Spain is pretty much a suburb of UK nowadays.

Quick Reply: DILEMMA- how should i go forward