Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear blower motor and cruise control now work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM
la crosse
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rear blower motor and cruise control now work!

Not that this is overly exciting for anyone but myself......

I thought I'd share my experiences with my latest trip to the mechanic.

I have a 1991 C2 Targa. The rear blower motor was not working, therefor giving me no heat in the cabin. I read all of the posts on rear blower motors not working and tried to fix it myself. I replaced the resistor that everyone thought was bad. That didn't do it. I am not mechanically inclined enough to go much further than that, so I took it in.

What was the problem?? BLOWN FUSE! I now have heat!!

I also had a problem with my cruise control. It would only work if I put my foot under my clutch pettal and forced it up a few times. I had a feeling that it was the clutch switch. I was right. The mechanic pulled the switch, did some bending, and put it back. I now have cruise control!!

The third item on the list was a pre-season oil change. 10 quarts of 15w50 full synthetic and a new Mann oil filter.

Total cost for everything: $206.25.

My mechanic is Randy at Auto Sport Service in La Crosse, WI. He is very smart and very reasonably priced. Hourly rate on a 911 of only $70. Also, I dropped my car off unanounced and had it back within 24 hours. Let's see a dealership do that!

He has also done work on my wife's subaru and my BMW. Nothing but good things to say about him.

They have a lot of nice cars for sale, too. Check out their website at www.autosportwi.com
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool to find a local wrench that doesn't steal your first born for labor rates.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by la crosse
...I also had a problem with my cruise control. It would only work if I put my foot under my clutch pettal and forced it up a few times. I had a feeling that it was the clutch switch. I was right. The mechanic pulled the switch, did some bending, and put it back. I now have cruise control!
You've motivated me to "try" to fix my cruise control. It's worked in the past, so I'm hoping it's the same issue as yours.

I haven't been too worried about using it in the past, but last weekend I was on long stretch of HWY with a 55mph limit. That's a tough speed to drive our cars at. Low revs in 5th (was it 2,200 RPM or 2,400?) and if I used 4th I had to make sure I didn't move the pedal more than a millimeter or I was going 65...
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Kuchar
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Do You know:
Where is the resistor to placed? Where can I find the rear blower resistor? And part number?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 PM
la crosse
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuchar -
The resistor is low down in the heater ductwork on the left side of the engine compartment. There are two wires that connect to it. You just need to pull the resistor out with your fingers. It comes out quite easily. The part number is 964-616-550-02-M100 on Pelican and it goes for $38.50
Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that this is overly exciting for anyone but myself......

I thought I'd share my experiences with my latest trip to the mechanic.

I have a 1991 C2 Targa. The rear blower motor was not working, therefor giving me no heat in the cabin. I read all of the posts on rear blower motors not working and tried to fix it myself. I replaced the resistor that everyone thought was bad. That didn't do it. I am not mechanically inclined enough to go much further than that, so I took it in.

What was the problem?? BLOWN FUSE! I now have heat!!

I also had a problem with my cruise control. It would only work if I put my foot under my clutch pettal and forced it up a few times. I had a feeling that it was the clutch switch. I was right. The mechanic pulled the switch, did some bending, and put it back. I now have cruise control!!

The third item on the list was a pre-season oil change. 10 quarts of 15w50 full synthetic and a new Mann oil filter.

Total cost for everything: $206.25.

My mechanic is Randy at Auto Sport Service in La Crosse, WI. He is very smart and very reasonably priced. Hourly rate on a 911 of only $70. Also, I dropped my car off unanounced and had it back within 24 hours. Let's see a dealership do that!

He has also done work on my wife's subaru and my BMW. Nothing but good things to say about him.

They have a lot of nice cars for sale, too. Check out their website at www.autosportwi.com
Good deal, it's comforting to find a guy who is competent and doesn't try to perform a walletectomy on you. I have one of those guys; we have quite a few Porsche indy's around here, and all are pretty competent but some are in the "fair pricing" category, while several others are in the "other" column.

The '95 993 he has, if it's straight and well- maintained, is a deal at $23.9K.
The 993 guys will tell you that car should be $30K.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
The '95 993 he has, if it's straight and well- maintained, is a deal at $23.9K.
The 993 guys will tell you that car should be $30K.
and raising in value as it sits faster than the national debt
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Kuchar
Instructor

thank you la crosse
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Kuchar -
The part number is 964-616-550-02-M100 on Pelican and it goes for $38.50
Drop the M100 at the end of the part number if you want to comparison shop.
The M100 is Pelican's addendum numbering convention for genuine Porsche parts. Different manufacturers for the same part get different M#s at the end.

Important thing to note is the original part 964-616-550-01 can cause engine fires, so be sure to get the -02
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Important thing to note is the original part 964-616-550-01 can cause engine fires, so be sure to get the -02
. . . and add a zip-tie so that it doesn't pop out of the tube.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Kuchar
Instructor

So:
-01 - no good
-02 - ok
i will check the number on my resistor

Quick Reply: My rear blower motor and cruise control now work!