Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlisters from Japan: Are You OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rennlisters from Japan: Are You OK?

I know many of us Rennlister's are located in Japan like Raspberry (Gerry) and so forth...

Have you all made it through OK with the mess that is happening in your area. I pray that you are all OK and that everything will turn out well.

Be Safe.......
Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are keeping them in our prayers I hope the best for them. We hope things will only get better for them.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably have bigger issues than getting on Rennlist, even if they could.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, our prayers are with you guys. Take care.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks a bunch, ok here.

original quake as you likely know has been upgraded to a 9, & as world knows sendai area has been devastated. whole towns/villages along the coast are completely gone....complete populations of some reported as missing....hard to estimate final toll, but may be very high.

most of the construction in japan built to high standards in the case of reactors, overbuilt.....but in saying that overbuilt may have been considered to be 8.5, certainly not a 9 which is much higher (incrementally).
therefore faced with likely meltdown of at least 2 reactors, this is our greatest issue & we are waiting for models of possible radiation dispersion....am starting to read available info on chernobyl.

my wife was in the office when the big one hit, her building was evacuated. luckily she was able to walk home (90 minutes). overall tokyo suffered minimal damage

fortunately i was home in our flat. our building is quite new (2004) so built to newest code, BUT cause it only has 1 flat per floor and each floor is only
about 120s.m., its quite skinny (and we are on 10th floor of 11) so i was whipped about pretty good. was able to save our new big screen tv, fridge did not tip but was bumping around pretty good, as was washer dryer.
so as i was holding up the tv, watched with interest as closets emptied,
ornaments fell, and pictures & paintings banged against the wall.
lots of sound of breaking glass, dishes, and things rattling around in the cupboards (we have earthquake latches in the kitchen, so contents of kitchen
cupboards did not empty).

sum total electronics all ok, lost 2 fine chinese antique jade pieces, valuable porcelain hakata doll, some dishes, glassware & the like. did lose 4 bottles of cheap chardonnay - but several unopened bottles of macallum 12 yr old, 2 expensive bottles of tequilla, vodka & vermouth all came thru ok!

since the original hit we have been receiving pretty stiff shocks every hour or so (forecast to continue magnitude 6 for another 6 days then continue for about a month in diminishing power)

rest of quake day was spent cleaning up glass, liquids, pottery etc &
reorganizing closets.

just returned from hardware store with some stuff to anchor the tv in case
we get round 2 & i want to evacuate (although our building only has outside stairway, and going down that in a swaying, bumping building might be more
freaky than staying put.

in my 15 yrs or so in japan, and in my wife's experience (she's jpnese) and she was very close to the big one in kobe in the early 90's (6000 + dead)
this one was the worst.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Cool on your outcome!

Oh, and you passed the Quake Sex Verification Test:
What article did you throw yourself upon when the BIG ONE struck? - your bigscreen TV.
Yup. You're a guy.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad everything is ok on your end Gerry....Myself and my family watch the news everyday to hope that the situation will get better, but it seems a slow pace...

Quick Reply: Rennlisters from Japan: Are You OK?