Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil line – loosen/ adjust/ retighten?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
nugatory1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil line – loosen/ adjust/ retighten?

In my quest to get rid of all my cars small rattles (and because this can’t be good for the oil temperature or the oil line):

I have discovered that the oil line that goes from the case to the oil filter is in contact with the clamp that connects the primary muffler to the secondary. I don't think this was touching until I replaced my engine mounts which raised the engine and therefore the exhaust a good 1 1/2" easy.

(part number 96420725214 (54 in the diagram))
I was wondering if I could just loosen the connection at the oil filter, adjust the line as necessary, and then tighten it back up. (I know I may need a 36mm crows foot socket to do this, but who doesn't want more cool tools.)

Would I need to drain the oil (just changed it = $$) or can I get away without doing this. It doesn't look like there are any crush washers or anything to replace when loosening and tightening this connection. I am not even sure if I can move it enough to get out of the way as the line looks slightly bent, but would like to try before replacing the line for ~$200.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM
rgr911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. You should be able to loosen and adjust the line without too much oil spillage.The contents of the oil tank are basically lower than the filter housing. Dont forget to hold the actual fitting that goes into the housing. I think it is a 32mm. What does seem strange is that you state that fitting new engine mounts raised the engine by 1 and a half inches (36mm) Thats huge! or am I misreading your posting?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgr911
Hi. You should be able to loosen and adjust the line without too much oil spillage.The contents of the oil tank are basically lower than the filter housing. Dont forget to hold the actual fitting that goes into the housing. I think it is a 32mm. What does seem strange is that you state that fitting new engine mounts raised the engine by 1 and a half inches (36mm) Thats huge! or am I misreading your posting?
sounds about right. when they are completely shot the motor drops about 36mm.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

IMHO I would readjust the muffler strap, old oil lines don't like to be loosened, and with the age of those I think your asking for trouble...

Quick Reply: Oil line – loosen/ adjust/ retighten?