Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have my 964- safe and sound! Thanks for all of your help in choosing this car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! That is a great looking wide body.

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
looks great..in the best colour!!...a 964 Turbo for your first Porsche...lucky man indeed! Enjoy it
Is it a turbo? From the single outlet exhaust and gauges it looks like a NA 964 with turbo body.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
danwink
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg964
Congrats! That is a great looking wide body.

Is it a turbo? From the single outlet exhaust and gauges it looks like a NA 964 with turbo body.
Non-Turbo widebody! Correct.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. Almost makes me like red. That first shot is gorgeous. VERY SLICK.

Are you required to have a front plate in Nevada? I'm trying to figure out how I can display the County of Cork "89-C4-964" plate that Laker so kindly sent me from Ireland.

Re: oil level, +1 with sml. However,if it was too high, you've probably already suffered any negative effects it might have had (oil in the MAF) by your long drive. I might still drain a little off. If you haven't worked on a 964 before, the drain plug is on the bottom of the thermostat, just in front of the right rear tire. If you get too much resistance from the plug being too tight, be careful to back brace the thermostat to avoid any damage to thermostat or lines. If you drain it while cold, you can easily let a little out and replace the plug, but don't try that when it's hot!

Supple leather has a "gathered around the edges" look on the seat inserts. I don't know how tim911pcar could tell without an interior pic, unless all Turbo looks have it. Do they?

Again, beautiful car, and enjoy!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Just read this current thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-overflow.html

It has some suggestions for removing oil without draining it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danwink
Non-Turbo widebody! Correct.
Is it an original Celebration car? Eg 1 of 911 or is a NB converted either by the factory or by an individual to a wide body?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Greg964
Pro

Originally Posted by olly964T
Is it an original Celebration car? Eg 1 of 911 or is a NB converted either by the factory or by an individual to a wide body?
Celebration cars were not made until 94 IIRC (celebrating 30 years of 911 production).
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by altarchsa
WOW. Almost makes me like red. That first shot is gorgeous. VERY SLICK.

Are you required to have a front plate in Nevada? I'm trying to figure out how I can display the County of Cork "89-C4-964" plate that Laker so kindly sent me from Ireland.

Well, Nevada is a bit vague on front plates. You only need to display one if the car came equipped with a factory location to mount a front plate. When you buy a new car, all the dealers here don't order the front plate kit, so perfectly legal to run no plate. My BMW and this 964 both came from California, so they had front plates, however I removed all the US plate mounting hardware from both, so..... If you need to run a front plate, I have seen many california cars here in Vegas that mount the Euro plate and then mount the US plate on top of it. I don't love it, but it would allow you to use the front plate. I used to live in a state that required a front plate and didn't ever use one, never had a problem

Re: oil level, +1 with sml. However,if it was too high, you've probably already suffered any negative effects it might have had (oil in the MAF) by your long drive. I might still drain a little off. If you haven't worked on a 964 before, the drain plug is on the bottom of the thermostat, just in front of the right rear tire. If you get too much resistance from the plug being too tight, be careful to back brace the thermostat to avoid any damage to thermostat or lines. If you drain it while cold, you can easily let a little out and replace the plug, but don't try that when it's hot!

Thanks for the advice. A couple of things I have noticed- the oil level gauge on my car is pretty sensitive and at times acts strange. When I first start the car, it will display very low- like no oil. As the car warms up, it gradually rises until it is totally full. Seems counter-intuitive to me, seems like oil pressure works the opposite. (high at first and lowers with heat) Is this normal?

Supple leather has a "gathered around the edges" look on the seat inserts. I don't know how tim911pcar could tell without an interior pic, unless all Turbo looks have it. Do they?

I am guessing tim911pcar saw the gathered look in the first photo that you commented on, you can see it in the first photo

Again, beautiful car, and enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by olly964T
It was a dealer installed widebody kit from Rector Porsche in California. All factory parts, it was upwards of 10K in parts.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by danwink
A couple of things I have noticed- the oil level gauge on my car is pretty sensitive and at times acts strange. When I first start the car, it will display very low- like no oil. As the car warms up, it gradually rises until it is totally full. Seems counter-intuitive to me, seems like oil pressure works the opposite. (high at first and lowers with heat) Is this normal?
Basically ignore the guage until the car is hot ... driving the car for 30 mins will not make the car sufficiently hot even in warm weather.

Mine doesnt really move from the guage position just after cold start-up .. if I leave the car idling for 30 mins then it just scrapes above the red into the bottom of the white.

As your car is full (maybe over-full), the oil level will probably fluctuate more as you drive, idle, accelerate, etc.

I fill mine to just above the red into the white, then after a few thousand kms and it burns a bit of oil, I add a splash to top it back up ... maybe half-a-cup or less.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 AM
parsonii
Racer

nice car and stunning background in the pics. congrats.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. Also the fastest color

there seems to be an endless list of thing unique to this car.

how you set the clock
the wiper speed ***, which you can't see because it's behind the steering wheel, which you can't adjust. It's just there.
the 3 oil guages.
The big in your face rev counter

and on and on...
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Congrats. Looks like a beautiful car. Red is the best color. When I first got my car and was living in the SF bay area, I had my car maintained by Rector Motorcars. Good service.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
windblown
Instructor

Looks fantastic, enjoy your new widebody!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Congrats on your new addition. Looks like a fantastic car!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Beautiful car!! Love the wide body and the color.

Enjoy it in good health!

Quick Reply: Have my 964- safe and sound! Thanks for all of your help in choosing this car!!