Early Suspension Rear spacer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Early Suspension Rear spacer

Hi,

I'm strongly considering a set of Euro RS/ US Cupcar factory coilovers F/R but will need the spacers for the rears as I have an early car. I've done a search but can't find a source. Does anyone know where a manufactured set of these spacers and longer bolts can be purchased? I believe they are 22 MM thick and have the holes drilled in the correct place for the early configuration.

Also, I would be installing these on the factory rubber mounts (tops). Does anyone have advise on wether this is an acceptable install? I'm not ready to go with monoballs and camber plates yet, unless necessary.

I installed a set of Eibach springs and Boge sports that I bought from a fellow Rennlister over the weekend, and although the car is at the perfect ride Ht for me now, I find the set-up generally softer than I was hoping for. I learned so much through the process, so the next time should be smoother. This board has been an invaluable resource. Thank You all so much.

Chris
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Nyeguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
I can't be completely sure, but are you absolutely sure you need the spacers with a coil over set up? And here is why I ask. I have been through this same problem. I had a Ruf set up, springs, shocks and sway bars on a 1990 C2. I now have a 1991 and am in the process of having the suspension installed from my 90. It is actually on, they just need to finish the corner balance. I spent months trying to figure out and in fact purchased a new set of rear shocks and springs for the 1991 only to find out the set up on the 1990 was for a 1991 and later set up. Ruf at one pointe had parts listed for up to 90 and 91 on. At some point they just decided to only offer the 91 on. Apparently what I originally purchased. I was taking measurements and did a lot of research here and on the pca website. The only thing I did not have to measure was a stock shock off a 1990. The Ruf rear shocks measured the same as the stock 91 shocks and they had been on my 1990. The 1991 outer shock tube increased by 38mm. I have not yet had a good chat with my mechanic, but it all fit without any problems. Hope this helps.
Christopher
Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
pcs7556964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Hi,

I'm strongly considering a set of Euro RS/ US Cupcar factory coilovers F/R but will need the spacers for the rears as I have an early car. I've done a search but can't find a source. Does anyone know where a manufactured set of these spacers and longer bolts can be purchased? I believe they are 22 MM thick and have the holes drilled in the correct place for the early configuration....
Went down that road last spring, wow did it take some thinking and measurement...
If you do mount a coil over then you can adjust the ride height but you might be limited by the damper travel, I was.
So I mounted a 13 mm spacer which I had manufactured to fit with inner diameter 12mm and this gave me the height I needed. So basically as long as you can fit the bolts on top of the strutmount you will be fine.
If I had just bought another bushing kit for my mono ***** I would have saved some money as I could have used it as spacer. You might want to consider this path.
http://www.rennline.com/Bushing-Kit-.../12MM%20STRUT/

Here is a picture of my solution.
Name:  Damper_side.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  136.4 KB
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thank You for the input. The kit I'm looking at is definately for a 92 car, so the rear suspension points are 22 MM different. The kit I'm considering will already make a 92 car low, so I know I will need the spacer as I want my car slightly higher than the Euro RS ride Ht. I thought I remember seeing a post somewhere of a shop who had manufactured these for this purpose.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am searching for that post as well, what I do remember is that it was a member who manufactured a set for his personal use, I wonder if he would make a few more?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I finally found that post a few months ago. It was Hergesheimer's in O.C. I called and learned they had long ago stopped making them. I decided at that moment that I would pony up for a brand new set of KW V3's. I had been thinking about them for years but just couldn't justify the cost. I'm so glad a finally pryed my wallet open for these. I love them! Worth every penny, and then some.

They make a kit for the early cars so they are plug n play, mines an early 91. The rears are actually monoballs from the factory. Awesome

Quick Reply: Early Suspension Rear spacer