Sponsored by:

Can't stop smiling!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
ozkid14
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Can't stop smiling!!

Hi Rennlisters, don't normally post messages, but had to just say how awesome this site is. I have to say that I am quite skeptical of many forum sites and specifically the numerous threads regarding erratic idles, stalling and general bad engine running and the headspinning possiblities that could cause any of these (going from mechanical to electrical and maybe even spiritual - i have prayed many time for the car to just get me home..).
However, I had a spare weekend so I thought I would get back into the car and see if I could begin eliminating faults, so I started with the easiest first, the cleaning of the Air Flow Meter, Idle Control Valve and Idle Control Switch (associated connectors and tightening of relevant pipes etc) and I seriously couldn't believe my ears after installing everything and turning the key for the first time - it was seriously a different car!
It was incredibly funny cause I was telling my wife just before turning the key that I had read all these threads on Rennlist that tell of just cleaning the AFM etc fixing the problems and I was saying that it just seemed to be too easy and that I didn't hold my breath that this would fix anything - boy was I wrong.

I took the car for spirited drive up and down a local mountain to reset the DME and I got home and couldn't get the smile off my face, I am still waiting for the bubble to burst but I got in it this morning and it started first go again, idle didn't move from 800rpm and the sound and torque - unbelievable from what I have grown accustomed to.

So to wrap it up, I can't thank all the people enough who write, put pictures up of all the issues that any one with these cars goes through and the fixes that have helped them get the smile back on their faces - truly an amazing site and again I thank you all and I can't stress enough keeping your AFM sensor clean - so easy to do and incredible results...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Soon you'll be afflicted like the rest of us..... we find ourselves taking the car on a spirited drive up and down a local mountain after topping off the washer fluid to "reset the DME"....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best. Forum. Ever.

I could not agree more. Doing a suspension upgrade next weekend. This forum gave me the confidence to do it myself. A good amount of the joy of ownership of these cars is being a part of this community.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a great place, eh?

Marc
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM
alanp
Instructor

" local mountain after topping off the washer fluid to "reset the DME"....

Ain't that the truth.

The weather broke for a bit yesterday & haven't driven the car much but took her out yesterday for a "short drive" which turned into 2 hours later...wife was not happy....I was thrilled!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by alanp
...took her out yesterday for a "short drive" which turned into 2 hours later...wife was not happy....I was thrilled!
My wife already knows "short drive" is code for me to be gone for two hours...the grin on my face as I'm ready to head out also gives it away!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait for spring!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with the usefulness of this forum, in january 2008 I was suffering from a bad case of "christmas tree effect" and the local shops hadn´t a clue on solving the issue ... my rennlist friends adviced me: "change your coils" and voilá... my 964 was good again,
I ended up changing spark plug wires, dist. caps and rotors to totally solve the issue but with the coils change it was 95 % better.

Rennlist Rocks

Quick Reply: Can't stop smiling!!