Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Drop - the Easier Way

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Engine Drop - the Easier Way

What a pleasure having a scissors lift!

It took about 6 hours, which included over 1 hour to grind an allen head cap screw holding a transmission cable bracket! I just used the write-ups on Rennlist, Pelican and Adrian's book. As this is a TIP, a littleimprovising was needed along the way.

Now, I'll clean it up, replace the cam shaft O-rings and gaskets, Oil breather gasket, do a valve adjustment, replace the plugs, wires, caps and rotors and the coils. I'm having a friend from the local PCA club set the cam timing, then, back in for the DE season!
Attached Images    
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice Job! You give me hope that someday, I'll be able to pull this off~
Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, where did you find that Pro-Series lift ?

Thanks,

Patrick
1996 C4S
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S993
Hi, where did you find that Pro-Series lift ?

Thanks,

Patrick
1996 C4S
Got it about 3 years ago from a local (Philadelphia) sponsor of our PCA club.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Lou,
Agree on the nice lift.....

Can you elaborate on the improvising on removing the engine with the TIP? I don't think I've seen a post here on rennlist for actually removing tip transmission.... You're making it look easy.

FYI, you've probably already have done it, but it be a good time to replace the oring on the oil pressure sender
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you have to remove the rear bar on the lift?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats, Lou. Nice job.
Question: What is the make of your exhaust with dual outlets? Would look really great on my new car.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Can you elaborate on the improvising on removing the engine with the TIP? I don't think I've seen a post here on rennlist for actually removing tip transmission....

FYI, you've probably already have done it, but it be a good time to replace the oring on the oil pressure sender
The only info that I found on removing a TIP was in Adrian's book, however, it indicates that there are 2 trans cooler lines on the right side.............no go, they are on the left side, and are visible (and finally accessible) when the engine/tip is lowered about 6". Also, there is an electrical connector on the left that isn't visible till the unit is lowered.

Did the oil sender unit O-ring 2 years ago. Now it's the oil breather gasket on the left side!

Originally Posted by jimq
Did you have to remove the rear bar on the lift?
Yes! Sawzall and grinder before I even started! Plenty of Google posts that it won't compromize the lift's intergity. Otherwise, the TIP (or any trans) would hang up on the crossmember.

Originally Posted by DWS964
Question: What is the make of your exhaust with dual outlets? Would look really great on my new car.
It's a Fabspeed 1 in, 2 out (I posted a few times that it is LOUD with the dual outlet). So much that I fab'ed a circular baffle that I insert in the left side of the exhaust to create more backpressure, which controls the drone (and turns the sound into a GROWWWWWWL. I remove the baffle for the DE's and butt feel a little more power.

Last edited by LouZ; 02-21-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell me more about the baffle and how you install it. I have the need for something similar.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWS964
Tell me more about the baffle and how you install it. I have the need for something similar.
Here's my earlier post on the baffle:

I too had issues with resonance @ 2 - 3K. I rigged up a baffle that is inserted in the 2nd exhaust tip for everyday driving, but is easily removed for DE'ing.

I cut a (slightly less than 2 1/2" diameter disk out of stainless steel. Then drilled 2 holes in the exhaust tip, 180 degrees apart, just after the flare that goes into the muffler. I then got 2 screws with flat heads (I can't recall the size, but the heads are over 1/4" dia. I widened the screw flats wide enough for the S.S. disk to fit in. Then, inserted the screws in the tip with the heads on the inside. With the flats parallel to the tube, I slip the disk into both flats, then just rotate 90 degrees to lock the disk in place. Then, 2 nuts on each screw on the outside of the exhaust tip locks the whole thing in place.

I still get a little of airflow thru the second tip, but now the extra backpressure stops the resonance for everyday driving.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Lou,

Looks like you are having fun. I've got to get a lift. Man, that exhaust looks familiar! Great idea going with a baffle. I could not take the noise.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Engine Drop - the Easier Way