964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Night-Let's Spend my money!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sat Night-Let's Spend my money!!!

So...my lovely new (non-LSD) RSA is sitting at Sid's in Idaho awaiting shipment to Oklahoma. Of all the things we can spend money on in our cars, the one which has always stood out to me is a re-gear of the US G50. Since its Sat night and I can't call anybody, I come to you.

I have no need for top end and having far shorter 2-3-4-5 makes a lot of sense; I suppose the LSD could be argued, but for my intended uses (AX, DE and fun driving) I think it should be done.

Having the car trucked over to Portland to Steve would be a thought, but perhaps ya'll would have suggestions on a point somewhere less radical (i.e. a good shop between ID and OK).

Any clue how many $$ we might be getting me into? Any other ideas as long as the unit is out (LWF/clutch/chip) hmm...wide open here within reason, but it makes good sense to me to do it now.

Last edited by KaiB; 02-20-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: umm I missplet somtink
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put some 13 inch wheels on there ...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:51 AM
KaiB
Banned

Hey now, its a heartfelt question. I'm beyond excited about the car and serious about asking.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

In this general order:

1) Suspension refresh and/or upgrade based on how you wil use the car.

2) Close-ratio gears: this makes a huge difference in overall performance. A good LSD is a must-have for its ability to stabilize the car for DE and street usage.

3) A few small exhaust changes: G-pipe and cat bypass. 4) Good performance software.

4) RS LWF for sport driving: not so much for rush hour commuting.

Many places can do these changes for you, but really my best advice is to choose wisely otherwise you'll suffer with the effects of a less-than-competent job. You would never believe what I've seen,........

All in all, these changes truly transform these cars into something very special and the differences are phenomenal.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still a newbie, but I say drive it for six months and you might be surprised at how little needs modification. From everything I had read on the forums during my buying search, I started out with a list of mods that I thought I needed. After six months, all I am looking at is a full tune and valve adjustment and have tried out three different sets of wheels.

Like Steve said, mods can be a slippery slope. I always assume the factory put some thought into their production designs, especailly with a car like the RSA. No matter what you decide, welcome to the addiction and drive it like you stole it!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure the entire braking system is in tip-top condition.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Drive it for 6 months and then decide on your priorities.

BTW - the easiest way to improve track/AX performance is driver instruction and experience.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
KaiB
Banned

Steve - PM sent. Kai
Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
KaiB
Banned

The car is headed to Steve's shop. Shorter 2-3-4-5, LWF/clutch, a Giken LSD, Bilstein PSS10, adj. anti sways, alignment and set up (after the Fikses get to him), electronics, Recaro Speeds, 6 pt harness and his own roll bar.

I'm grinning already.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KaiB
The car is headed to Steve's shop. Shorter 2-3-4-5, LWF/clutch, a Giken LSD, Bilstein PSS10, adj. anti sways, alignment and set up (after the Fikses get to him), electronics, Recaro Speeds, 6 pt harness and his own roll bar.

I'm grinning already.
Well that's the way to do it
Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

Alrighty then...I guess you were serious about suggestions on spending your money.

Not to be nosey (just jealous), but what kind of ballpark are you looking at for this list of mods? I'm guessing $15k including labor and transport. I guess when you are buying an RSA you might as well do it right and with the right shop.

Enjoy and you gotta post pics when you get your new toy home!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
KaiB
Banned

Yep Brandon, you're right.

Kind of like splitting an engine, you just keep going while its at the shop. The little car is in wonderful shape and this work will just let it do what it does just a bit better.

The suspension was going to happen very quickly anyway, the wheels had been ordered - why not let Steve have the whole package for set up.

As far as the tranny, LSD and LFW go, they were a given in my mind anyway. I'd rather bleed once, do it all right, and be over with it.

Having only spoken with Steve on the phone I can say I like him, we agree on so many things and I feel very comfortable in his hands.

Little #363 will be a special car when he's done.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
KaiB
Banned

This reminds me, I will have a raft of parts to sell. The sport seats, RSA suspension parts and the original Cup wheels. The gears Steve pulls should go to a good hearted, broke racer who has crunched one too many.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KaiB
This reminds me, I will have a raft of parts to sell. The sport seats, RSA suspension parts and the original Cup wheels. The gears Steve pulls should go to a good hearted, broke racer who has crunched one too many.
Seats?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Smart move, you are doing the right thing, getting it all done and set up at the same time will save you money in the long run, and you picked the right place to get it done. Please keep us posted on your impressions when you get the car back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat Night-Let's Spend my money!!!