Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? Seats, Harnesses and Roll Bar Build Up

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ?? Seats, Harnesses and Roll Bar Build Up

My (new to me) RSA wll arrive with new uninstalled Schroth 4 pt harnesses and a BK bar. My plans for the car include seats and a DAS roll bar, but time and money (I don't mind spending for the right things, but dislike tossing money away) play a role, so I seek advice from ya'll.

My thoughts would be to order seats so ?? #1: I'm looking at Recaro Sportster CS and Sparco Milano Alcantra (I need a decent drivers seat, but must also accomodate 'Lil Audrey) but wonder about alternatives, and after having read too many threads about installation hassles, would ask that someone guide me into parts purchase. It appears that the Sparco might really be a direct bolt in with base, hardware and track set, but...

For the time being, for autocross and street "cool", once the seats are in, I plan to install the bar and harnesses. OK??

Then next year, the DAS bar can be powder coated and proper 6 point harnesses installed. This affects the current seat order, does it not?

All in all, I'm worn and weary and would like some kind soul to take me by the hand on this one and tell me what to do.

Best, Kai
Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Congrats on the car - pics please!

Couple of thoughts:

- if you're looking to carry a child ('Lil Audrey'), you should look at an airbag on/off switch. If 'Lil Audrey isn't a child - well then never mind.

http://www.airbagonoff.com/

- Whatever you do with the seat, just make sure you get the correct base and sliders and it is a straight install
- Whatever you do with the DAS bar, should not affect your seat, however your 6 point harness installation is going to be different from seat to seat. In particular the mounting of the crotch belts. Do you want them to slide with the seat or are you able to mount them through the seat to the floor? I'll provide you with a link to my installation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...s-install.html
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM
KaiB
Banned

Thanks for the link; will study it given the chance this afternoon.

'Lil Audrey is the approving authority around here in Bugtussle.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
My (new to me) RSA wll arrive with new uninstalled Schroth 4 pt harnesses and a BK bar. My plans for the car include seats and a DAS roll bar, but time and money (I don't mind spending for the right things, but dislike tossing money away) play a role, so I seek advice from ya'll.

My thoughts would be to order seats so ?? #1: I'm looking at Recaro Sportster CS and Sparco Milano Alcantra (I need a decent drivers seat, but must also accomodate 'Lil Audrey) but wonder about alternatives, and after having read too many threads about installation hassles, would ask that someone guide me into parts purchase. It appears that the Sparco might really be a direct bolt in with base, hardware and track set, but...

For the time being, for autocross and street "cool", once the seats are in, I plan to install the bar and harnesses. OK??

Then next year, the DAS bar can be powder coated and proper 6 point harnesses installed. This affects the current seat order, does it not?

All in all, I'm worn and weary and would like some kind soul to take me by the hand on this one and tell me what to do.

Best, Kai

I know that Sparcos are cool, but I bought corbeau seats and brackets based on cost and the fact that DE rules in the US require that driver and passenger have the same restraining system which meant buying two seats. Also I do not think that 4 pt harness is either safe or allowed for DE if you ever decide to try it. I ordered from ApexPerformance.net Linda and Clark are great to deal with. http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=300
I bought the LG1 seats with sub-belt holes for a 5/6 pts harness and bracket with double lock option. The nice thing about Corbeau bracket is that it has a welded support for attaching the OEM belt receiver and harness. this eliminates the need to drill a hole in the tunnel.
I also decided to go for a BK harness truss that I bought used. I think this is easier to remove that roll bar.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
KaiB
Banned

Frank, it was your thread which promulgated my plea for help.

Nader, I've peeked at your link and will continue to research there. Can you slide your seats with the current sub belt(s).

The four point will only stay this year until I get the car sorted out for DE in the winter with roll bar and proper 5 or 6 point harnesses.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Frank, it was your thread which promulgated my plea for help.

Nader, I've peeked at your link and will continue to research there. Can you slide your seats with the current sub belt(s).

The four point will only stay this year until I get the car sorted out for DE in the winter with roll bar and proper 5 or 6 point harnesses.
I do not know about sliding as I have not installed yet. I have been working with the intent of having the seat sliding, but won't know until I install. I will post a picture of the way I plan to mount the sub-belt after I get the mounts back from the welder. That said, you can definitly slide a seat with 5-6 harness if you drill holes through the floor. That is what I have on my race car. I do not want to go through the floor on the 964 which made things more challenging.

Make sure that your seat has a sub-belt hole as PCA does not allow 5-6 point harness with seats that do not have a sub-belt hole.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kai, if you're ever in the Houston area, come drive down and I'll help you install my DAS bar in your car. I've got the exact same RSA and I'm honestly not using my bar at this point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?? Seats, Harnesses and Roll Bar Build Up