Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BILSTEIN, KW V3 or H&R???

Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c2dweller
I've just seen that KW do a variant 1, which seems very reasonably priced - UK Larkspeed offer this at £1225 all-in. You get height adjustment, but none of the whistles and bells of the V3.
Yeah I saw those... I've ordered the V3s though... they are more suited to my needs. I'll be racing through my work to get to Friday... this weekend they go in!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my perspective, the KWV3 is the hands-down winner. Not because H&S is an inferior product, because that's just not true. But rather because the KW offers a wider range of control (choices) for your tuning. They can be soft or firm (hard) depending on your application and adjustments. the PS9/10 doesn't really come into play in the states because it is not available until the 91 model year for 964. Don't know that status in UK. It is reprinted information that may be of help in your selection.

KW V3 Coilovers 3 way adjustable

Race technology for the road with adjustable compression and rebound damping"
State-of-the-art motorsport technology for proven performance on the streets. The independently adjustable compression and rebound damping allows for custom driving set-ups. The exclusive KW patented system has dual-level valves to provide the adjustment of the rebound damping (comfort) and the compression damping (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range. High-speed settings for driving comfort are preset by KW engineers.

Independently adjustable damping technology (rebound and compression damping)
"inox-line" stainless steel technology*
Individual height adjustment
Infinitely adjustable rebound damping
14-level adjustable compression damping
Unique, independently functioning damping power adjustment
TÜV-tested adjustment parameters
High-quality components for long life

Comprehensive documentation for ease of use
Based on vehicle specifications, the rebound damping is adjusted by a spindle at the end of the piston rod. Mainly, the traction phase (rebound) controls car body vibrations and influences handling and comfort in the low-speed damping range. By using the traction phase adjustment, the vehicle can be fine tuned to the requirements of the driver. Moreover, driving behavior can be regulated from comfortably rolling to sporty and tense with improved road holding characteristics.
The compression phase adjustment is carried out at the lower end of the shock absorber via KW’s patented multi-purpose valve. The large number of pre-set parameters on this valve allow for a wide range of adjustment for individual use. The unique low-speed compression adjustment distinguishes this technology from any other. In this compression range, the driving behavior of the vehicle is drastically influenced. An increase of the damping power supports the vehicle already during compression and therefore avoids rolling and pitching. The directional stability is significantly improved.

H&S Coil overs 1 way adjustable

Engineered for street and occasional track use, H&R Coil-Overs feature a fully-threaded shock body (not an imitation sleeve-over) that allows you to precisely dial in height adjustment to achieve optimum weight transfer, or simply get the aggressive look you've been looking for. Featuring H&R's exclusive dynamic damper technology, each shock is engineered to work in harmony with a progressive-rate spring, together creating a finely-tuned suspension system.

Good luck with your decision!

Chuck
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

I've heard the spring rates on the KW V3's are lower than expected. How important is the spring rate in an adjustable set-up like this? Is the Clubsport kit a significant step up?. I am pulling my hair out trying to decide on a set-up.

I spent 2 days this past weekend installing a set of Eibach's from 92 that Andial had on the market, back in the day, considered sport springs. The spring rates for those are Front 274 and rear 239-302 both are progressive. The car is nicely lowered to where I like it now, but car still feels soft. The springs came with a set of Boge Sport shocks and were fully built up including the stock rubber top mounts, so a plug and play. Maybe the Boge shocks are the culprit. If the shocks are not adequate, will these Eibach springs behave oddly, or will I know that they are too soft without a better strut/damper combo? In other words, do I have good springs and bad shocks, or do I really want higher spring rates, ergo a totally uprated system? I really want an aggressive street set-up that I can drive to the track and run with the fast guys in the higher run groups. This will happen 3-4 days a year.

So now I'm looking at more aggressive spring rates, like the Euro RS set-up with Bilsteins, or these Eibachs with Koni's or who knows what. It's a frustrating journey that is taking more time than I thought imaginable.

BTW, the install is not difficult, but it can be time consuming, so don't short change yourself. Give yourself plenty of time, and you'll do fine. I learned so much going through this. It was well worth it, even though I'm not satisfied yet.

Thanks Guys, any input would be much appreciated. Chris
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

chris, i have that information back at my office. I can share it wi th you in the morning if you like? US CST... Chuck
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chuck. Morning is great. ctallon@swinerton.com
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I was really ineterested in the reply from Flash_Malmo on page one of the thread. Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the HR Reds as a comparison.?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris PM sent
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
ACSGP
Pro

I only know about the KW V3s which I have on my car to replace the worn SUV-height stock suspension.

They came recommended by Colin at 9M, and I guess there can't be any higher compliment than that, given their racing and performance background.

The build quality is excellent, though I'm glad the Laker's yellow and purple paint is hidden most of the time.

They are 3 way adjustable, for height, damping and spring rate. I've put it to RS height, with damping and spring rate put at 50% (i.e. the middle).

For back road, spirited driving, it's great. Very little roll (on stock anti-roll bars), and enough compliance not to lose grip on bumpy sections. Same view from my ex-Autofarm mechanic who tracks 911s.

A bit harsh for regular driving on slow bumps, but not too bad. I use the car as a daily.

Looking to go for forged rims, and then to lessen the spring rate so that the ride will improve. May push the ride height up a bit as it's grounding a little over humps in the front.

Trust this helps.

andrew
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thank You Andrew, Greg, Chuck, Jim and others,

Love this board. So much help available. How are the V3 spring rates managed ie. how can the spring rate be adjusted? Also, is anyone running the V3's on the factory 24mm/18 mm adjustable sways? If so, is this a good choice?

Many many thanks....
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by christallon
Love this board. So much help available. How are the V3 spring rates managed ie. how can the spring rate be adjusted? Also, is anyone running the V3's on the factory 24mm/18 mm adjustable sways? If so, is this a good choice?
Welcome.

This may be helpful. My mech does all the adjustments, but if you're mechanically inclined, I don't see why you can't do it yourself.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_variant_3.php

I stand corrected on spring rate adjustment. The adjustment is for rebound and compression, both on the damper and not the springs.

Last edited by ACSGP; 02-21-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I contacted KW today in US and confirmed spring rates for the V3 kit are 170 F 455 R and are linear. The front rates are light because KW's technology uses a much higher compression technology to offset heavier spring rates to make ride more comfortable. The rear rates are nice in my opinion and may work very well with the Euro RS sway bars. The smaller 18mm rtear bar reportedly works well with a stiffer rear spring. I believe the factory Euro RS rear spring rate is similar. I am more seriously considering this kit although the cost is holding me back somewhat. I also learned that there is a lifetime warranty on the kit for the original purchaser, which is nice.

I asked about the clubsport kit, but quickly decided it was not for me. The spring rates on that kit are 340 F and 685 R (linear). This is way more suited to the track and quick lap times, but is not comfortable on the road, at least for most. Also, as this kit is designed for track use, there is no warranty whatsoever once the kit is mounted.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Chris, apologize for not getting back to you this morning... I'm glad you're able to have your question answered. If you would Like any additional specs on the KW product line I would be happy to help.
Chuck
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm all in. Just ordered a set of KWV3 for my early 91. Should have them in hand by Friday afternoon Now I get to experience the thrill of yet another install
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
ACSGP
Pro

You won't regret it Chris. Best mod so far for my 911 bar none, and I've done quite a few.

Good luck on the install.

Now you've got me thinking on the Euro sway bars
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andrew, I'm happy to have made the decision....finally.

Did you use the original stock top rubber mounts (F&R) when you installed yours? This is what I'm planning to do unless others here see a better strategy. Any other installation concerns? I have a spring compressor ready to go along with all the tools.

Thanks in advance....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BILSTEIN, KW V3 or H&R???