Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Smallish Budget Tuning (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/615216-smallish-budget-tuning.html)

Moffman 02-06-2011 03:39 AM

Smallish Budget Tuning

Trying to get the most bang for the buck, one thing I'm deadset on is the Steve wong chip so thats -375 right there.

I would like to do the suspension but thats a little out of my budget right now so I was thinking exhaust.

What would be more important a fabspeed european premuffler/catbypass kit?

Or maybe a 2nd muffler bypass. I don't understand why spending 300 bucks on removing the cat would be that important though besides a gain in airflow what else would be the benefits and the negatives?

New jersey isn't exactly emission relaxed too, thats why I'm considering the muffler bypass, I've also heard alot about G-pipes I'm guessing it has something to do with bypassing the muffler too.

But then again steve wong also makes a cat bypass so its a bit tough.

Any help? :typing:

sml 02-06-2011 03:59 AM

what are you objectives?
general track performance?
acceleration?
braking?
handling?
looks?
sound?

without knowing the above, I would recommend ...
a) g-pipe - cheap & sounds good
b) brake pads .. pagid RS-19 or RS-29
c) after that i would be saving for new coilovers & wheels & tyres
d) steve wong chip

that's it .. after that then weight reduction.

Moffman 02-06-2011 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by sml (Post 8276632)
what are you objectives?
general track performance?
acceleration?
braking?
handling?
looks?
sound?

without knowing the above, I would recommend ...
a) g-pipe - cheap & sounds good
b) brake pads .. pagid RS-19 or RS-29
c) after that i would be saving for new coilovers & wheels & tyres
d) steve wong chip

that's it .. after that then weight reduction.

Well 1. acceleration 2. handling 3. sound 4. track performance

I tried searching google but I can't find anyone that makes a g pipe

freedman 02-06-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Moffman (Post 8276644)

I tried searching google but I can't find anyone that makes a g pipe

FVD, Automotion, pretty much any aftermarket supplier does them. You just need to search as the prices vary

sml 02-06-2011 06:40 AM

i'd still go with my original suggestion.

i think the 'braking' element of your objective no. 4 will be a higher priority after trying pagid rs-29s.

after trying those rs-29 brake pads on the track for the first time today, i realised that stopping is far more exciting than accelerating!

after my recent mods .. SW chip, coilovers, wheel, tyres, g-pipe, pads ... the most exciting bang-for-buck upgrade is the RS-29s!

Laker 02-06-2011 01:23 PM

SML et al., with all things being equal (and the appropriate Steve Wong chip)
What HP gain can be expected from the various combinations of G-Pipe, primary and cat by-passes?

Moffman, apologies if I am hijacking your thread..

boxsey911 02-06-2011 01:46 PM

I'm not sure if your budget would extend to it but I had the RS clutch and flywheel installed this week. I'm simply gobsmacked as to what it has done to the acceleration. There's a noticeable increase in the acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear but the real difference is how the revs stay up in the range when I shift from 2nd to 3rd to keep the inertia going forwards.

christallon 02-06-2011 02:05 PM

I agree with Boxey, Lt Wt flywheel kit makes the car more visceral and adds a thrill due to simple rev matching etc. I would also add the Wevo motor mounts. Made a nice difference to how solid the rear end felt, and improved shifting, as well as a nice resonant noise increase in the cabin.

As to HP gains I'd say SW chip 14 (claimed) and maybe another 10 with the 3 bypass elements you outlined. Keep in mind the 3 bypass (cat, primary and secondary) will make the car very loud.

Moffman 02-06-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Laker (Post 8277246)
SML et al., with all things being equal (and the appropriate Steve Wong chip)
What HP gain can be expected from the various combinations of G-Pipe, primary and cat by-passes?

Moffman, apologies if I am hijacking your thread..

Always hijacking my thread man :mad: hahaha

Originally Posted by boxsey911 (Post 8277295)
I'm not sure if your budget would extend to it but I had the RS clutch and flywheel installed this week. I'm simply gobsmacked as to what it has done to the acceleration. There's a noticeable increase in the acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear but the real difference is how the revs stay up in the range when I shift from 2nd to 3rd to keep the inertia going forwards.

Yeah unfortunately its a bit out of my price range :crying:

frankvan 02-06-2011 06:48 PM

e-charge your ride

http://stores.ebay.ca/eCharge-Your-Ride

For under $100 you can echarge your ride! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Cosmos99 02-06-2011 06:53 PM

I have the SW chip plus the fabspeed cat bypass and primary muffler delete and I am really happy with them. No dyno figures but the car runs great. The only negative with the cat delete for some would be the smell of exhaust fumes while at a red light. It smells just like my brothers old Mach 1. Not sure about jersey but in maryland my car is registered as historic at 20 years old. No longer need emissions testing! The primary muffler delete is great because of the added sound and weight loss right in the rear end of the car. I sometimes wish for a slightly louder exhaust but I am going to wait until I remove the sound deadening and install lightweight carpet first.

Moffman 02-06-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by frankvan (Post 8277980)
http://stores.ebay.ca/eCharge-Your-Ride

For under $100 you can echarge your ride! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

$30 dollar superchargers?

SIGN ME UP :bowdown:

etom 02-06-2011 09:28 PM

Just in case you don't know, don't get your SW chip until you decide upon your other engine/exhaust mods, since I believe he "tunes" it according to your specific set up.

Moffman 02-06-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by etom (Post 8278278)
Just in case you don't know, don't get your SW chip until you decide upon your other engine/exhaust mods, since I believe he "tunes" it according to your specific set up.

Right I saw there were two different chips one for the cat by pass.

Laker 02-06-2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moffman (Post 8277808)
Always hijacking my thread man :mad: hahaha

Just looking out for you Moffman, when you see the claims of HP gain for Chip and the three bypasses individually at 10-15hp each, you can't assume all four will give you + 40-->60 HP

(Thanks Christallon, btw, did my front brakes, and they were a snap. sh*t, there I go again :icon501: )