Sponsored by:

Smallish Budget Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laker
Just looking out for you Moffman, when you see the claims of HP gain for Chip and the three bypasses individually at 10-15hp each, you can't assume all four will give you + 40-->60 HP

(Thanks Christallon)
Not really jumping into the HP wagon (yet ) just looking for minor performance and sound mods.

So I think I'm going to buy the chip and a g pipe to bypass the final muffler because I don't see to much of a benefit of removing the cat.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Moffman
Racer

I am a bit confused on two things though if someone could chime in I'd appreciate it, I searched through some threads on muffler bypasses and some people would say they did the secondary bypass but they didn't want a g pipe?

I thought a g pipe is a secondary bypass, and for a daily driver should I leave the cat on?
Kinda important stuff before I buy a 300 dollar chip

Oh and is the fabspeed g pipe compatible with the stock primary muffler?
Ugh the more I read the more I change my mind now I'm not sure if I should do a primary bypass and keep the secondary muffler
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moffman
I am a bit confused on two things though if someone could chime in I'd appreciate it, I searched through some threads on muffler bypasses and some people would say they did the secondary bypass but they didn't want a g pipe?

I thought a g pipe is a secondary bypass, and for a daily driver should I leave the cat on?

Kinda important stuff before I buy a 300 dollar chip

Oh and is the fabspeed g pipe compatible with the stock primary muffler?

Yes a G pipe is the secondary bypass

No need for a Cat daily driver or not, unless legally required

All G pipes will be compatible with the factory parts that remain
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G-pipe has a nice deep growl to it, cup pipe (i.e. primary bypass) has a higher pitched wail to it. Personally I have a G-pipe and absolutely love it. Supposedly the cup pipe nets a bit more horsepower gain, but we're talking in the low single digits difference (probably unnoticeable from a performance standpoint).

My G-pipe was done by a local muffler shop for MUCH less than what the aftermarket companies want for their g-pipes...a very simple job for any decent exhaust guy (actually I think mine was done at a Meineke and they did a fine job) and you've got a one day turnaround as opposed to ordering the part, waiting for it, etc. etc... Normally I'm a very DIY kinda guy, but in this case I think its a win-win having a local place do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by ChaseN
G-pipe has a nice deep growl to it, cup pipe (i.e. primary bypass) has a higher pitched wail to it. Personally I have a G-pipe and absolutely love it. Supposedly the cup pipe nets a bit more horsepower gain, but we're talking in the low single digits difference (probably unnoticeable from a performance standpoint).

My G-pipe was done by a local muffler shop for MUCH less than what the aftermarket companies want for their g-pipes...a very simple job for any decent exhaust guy (actually I think mine was done at a Meineke and they did a fine job) and you've got a one day turnaround as opposed to ordering the part, waiting for it, etc. etc... Normally I'm a very DIY kinda guy, but in this case I think its a win-win having a local place do it.
Yeah I was thinking about having a local muffler shop do it 300 for a U shaped pipe does seem ridiculous
Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moffman
Yeah I was thinking about having a local muffler shop do it 300 for a U shaped pipe does seem ridiculous

$300???

$140.00 plus shipping from FVD US
Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
$300???

$140.00 plus shipping from FVD US
Yeah thats the price of fabspeeds secondary muffler bypass.

edit: Just checked the prices on FVD much more reasonable

Oh lawdy 200 for a cup pipe

Very tempting

Last edited by Moffman; 02-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Based on my own experience, you may be best served to do one mod at a time. For instance, maybe just try out the primary bypass pipe and see how you like that on its own for a while? Piling a few upgrades in all at once can be less informative, not to mention more expensive.

Good luck!

Last edited by 92silver964; 02-08-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: there may be a "cup" g-pipe!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a RUF primary bypass 1st. Really love the way it sounds. Nice low rumble at under 1500 RPMs and a nice full powerful sound above 4000. I followed up with a SW chip. The chip made the idle perfect and throttle response better.
I agree that you should do the exhaust mod's 1st then chip it. I also told Steve Wong that I always use Shell 91 and I believe the chip is tuned to such.
Now I think she is just perfect.
My 2 cents. Cheers
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by 92silver964
I'll throw in my 2 cents (others, please correct me if I am wrong):

Porsche utilized a primary bypass (cup pipe) for its Cup cars. I'm not aware of a Porsche-based secondary bypass (G-pipe).

Based on my own experience, you may be best served to do one mod at a time. For instance, maybe just try out the cup pipe and see how you like that on its own for a while? Piling a few upgrades in all at once can be less informative, not to mention more expensive.

Good luck!
I thought the Porsche Cup cars used a primary bypass and a secondary bypass without a cat. I could be wrong though

Quick Reply: Smallish Budget Tuning