964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Smallish Budget Tuning

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Moffman
User

Originally Posted by Laker View Post
Just looking out for you Moffman, when you see the claims of HP gain for Chip and the three bypasses individually at 10-15hp each, you can't assume all four will give you + 40-->60 HP

(Thanks Christallon)
Not really jumping into the HP wagon (yet ) just looking for minor performance and sound mods.

So I think I'm going to buy the chip and a g pipe to bypass the final muffler because I don't see to much of a benefit of removing the cat.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Moffman
User

I am a bit confused on two things though if someone could chime in I'd appreciate it, I searched through some threads on muffler bypasses and some people would say they did the secondary bypass but they didn't want a g pipe?

I thought a g pipe is a secondary bypass, and for a daily driver should I leave the cat on?
Kinda important stuff before I buy a 300 dollar chip

Oh and is the fabspeed g pipe compatible with the stock primary muffler?
Ugh the more I read the more I change my mind now I'm not sure if I should do a primary bypass and keep the secondary muffler
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
freedman
User

Originally Posted by Moffman View Post
I am a bit confused on two things though if someone could chime in I'd appreciate it, I searched through some threads on muffler bypasses and some people would say they did the secondary bypass but they didn't want a g pipe?

I thought a g pipe is a secondary bypass, and for a daily driver should I leave the cat on?

Kinda important stuff before I buy a 300 dollar chip

Oh and is the fabspeed g pipe compatible with the stock primary muffler?

Yes a G pipe is the secondary bypass

No need for a Cat daily driver or not, unless legally required

All G pipes will be compatible with the factory parts that remain
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
ChaseN
User

G-pipe has a nice deep growl to it, cup pipe (i.e. primary bypass) has a higher pitched wail to it. Personally I have a G-pipe and absolutely love it. Supposedly the cup pipe nets a bit more horsepower gain, but we're talking in the low single digits difference (probably unnoticeable from a performance standpoint).

My G-pipe was done by a local muffler shop for MUCH less than what the aftermarket companies want for their g-pipes...a very simple job for any decent exhaust guy (actually I think mine was done at a Meineke and they did a fine job) and you've got a one day turnaround as opposed to ordering the part, waiting for it, etc. etc... Normally I'm a very DIY kinda guy, but in this case I think its a win-win having a local place do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Moffman
User

Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
G-pipe has a nice deep growl to it, cup pipe (i.e. primary bypass) has a higher pitched wail to it. Personally I have a G-pipe and absolutely love it. Supposedly the cup pipe nets a bit more horsepower gain, but we're talking in the low single digits difference (probably unnoticeable from a performance standpoint).

My G-pipe was done by a local muffler shop for MUCH less than what the aftermarket companies want for their g-pipes...a very simple job for any decent exhaust guy (actually I think mine was done at a Meineke and they did a fine job) and you've got a one day turnaround as opposed to ordering the part, waiting for it, etc. etc... Normally I'm a very DIY kinda guy, but in this case I think its a win-win having a local place do it.
Yeah I was thinking about having a local muffler shop do it 300 for a U shaped pipe does seem ridiculous
Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
freedman
User

Originally Posted by Moffman View Post
Yeah I was thinking about having a local muffler shop do it 300 for a U shaped pipe does seem ridiculous

$300???

$140.00 plus shipping from FVD US
Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Moffman
User

Originally Posted by freedman View Post
$300???

$140.00 plus shipping from FVD US
Yeah thats the price of fabspeeds secondary muffler bypass.

edit: Just checked the prices on FVD much more reasonable

Oh lawdy 200 for a cup pipe

Very tempting

Last edited by Moffman; 02-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
92silver964
User

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Based on my own experience, you may be best served to do one mod at a time. For instance, maybe just try out the primary bypass pipe and see how you like that on its own for a while? Piling a few upgrades in all at once can be less informative, not to mention more expensive.

Good luck!

Last edited by 92silver964; 02-08-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: there may be a "cup" g-pipe!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
92C2Targa#119
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a RUF primary bypass 1st. Really love the way it sounds. Nice low rumble at under 1500 RPMs and a nice full powerful sound above 4000. I followed up with a SW chip. The chip made the idle perfect and throttle response better.
I agree that you should do the exhaust mod's 1st then chip it. I also told Steve Wong that I always use Shell 91 and I believe the chip is tuned to such.
Now I think she is just perfect.
My 2 cents. Cheers
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Moffman
User

Originally Posted by 92silver964 View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents (others, please correct me if I am wrong):

Porsche utilized a primary bypass (cup pipe) for its Cup cars. I'm not aware of a Porsche-based secondary bypass (G-pipe).

Based on my own experience, you may be best served to do one mod at a time. For instance, maybe just try out the cup pipe and see how you like that on its own for a while? Piling a few upgrades in all at once can be less informative, not to mention more expensive.

Good luck!
I thought the Porsche Cup cars used a primary bypass and a secondary bypass without a cat. I could be wrong though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: