Sponsored by:

What does it sound like: split secondary muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Bolt sheared off??
Likely some past gorilla over-torque might do that.
(Fatigue failure I'd find hard to fathom.)
A lateral shear overload would've needed at least, say, 4,800 lbs to slice through just one of those holder's 8mm(?) dia bolts in shear.

Is the other threaded part of the sheared bolt stuck in the tapped hole (beyond the spacer)?

The holder arm itself looks to be still in fine shape.

I took my holder arm off (because I didn't like it hanging out there in the breeze and snagging my arm skin whenever I worked in the area.)
(I bought my car w/ a G-pipe already in place.)
Don't remember anything overtly troubling to take out its two bolts, but perhaps I was reduced to using hammer-upon-closed end wrench, and/or removing the side encapsulation to gain better access. Time has faded that removal's memory.
(Penetrant spray probably wouldn't hurt matters, though, if only you could get it into that spacer gallery!)

But that arm IS removable, sir, from that angle. Bet on it!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Bolt sheared off??
Likely some past gorilla over-torque might do that.
(Fatigue failure I'd find hard to fathom.)
A lateral shear overload would've needed at least, say, 4,800 lbs to slice through just one of those holder's 8mm(?) dia bolts in shear.

Is the other threaded part of the sheared bolt stuck in the tapped hole (beyond the spacer)?

The holder arm itself looks to be still in fine shape.

Don't remember anything overtly troubling to take out its two bolts, but perhaps I was reduced to using hammer-upon-closed end wrench, and/or removing the side encapsulation to gain better access. Time has faded that removal's memory.
(Penetrant spray probably wouldn't hurt matters, though, if only you could get it into that spacer gallery!)

But that arm IS removable, sir, from that angle. Bet on it!
Thanks Lonnie for your comments.

I've attached a diagram that I hope will clear up what I'm facing?

It's always hard to find the correct words for these parts...
The bottom bolt on the holder arm (as it attaches to the silver engine capsule) is the one that I found sheared off, just after the spacer behind the holder arm...as it meets the engine capsule.

It is a thick bolt, so it's good to read your comments about it's strength. I'm hoping that I can reinstall the holder arm and ignore the bottom sheared bolt and just use the top bolt to attach the end of the muffler?

Anyone want to get rid of an old 2ndary muffler?
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like your secondary is gone in much the same place as mine, it seams that the cup pipe puts to much pressure on the secondary muffler if it's not in top condition.
After reading a few posts on the subject it looks like this has happened to a few people (some more than once even after replacement) so I'm now thinking it might be better to repair/reinforce my own muffler.

BTW. TA12 never got back to me about his secondary muffler, you still have first call on it you should send him a PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Secondary Muffler

Sorry guys, I was off-line for a bit on this one. The secondary is still available for $125+shipping. I am in CA this week so the best way to get in touch is to email me at tomiervolino@valcor.com

Tom
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Tom,
Message sent to valcor. Thanks!

Crystal Cranks,
Thanks for allowing me to stay in queue. It took me a extra day to figure out which route to go...kept finding broken parts...

It looks like your secondary is gone in much the same place as mine, it seams that the cup pipe puts to much pressure on the secondary muffler if it's not in top condition.

After reading a few posts on the subject it looks like this has happened to a few people (some more than once even after replacement) so I'm now thinking it might be better to repair/reinforce my own muffler.
+1. I've seen a few threads on this also.

It's not often mentioned in the primary/secondary (which is best) exhaust threads, but it's another point to consider when choosing which exhaust to bypass...I still love the primary bypass sound though!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crystal Cranks: 911Jetta did not want to wait until Monday to get mine so it is now available. I'll send a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

I definitely had a blown secondary! Thanks for everyone's help!
Car sounds great again!
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Robbrizzle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just had the same problem with my 1990 C4 strosek, did you find an easy way of removing the remains of the sheared bolt?

Quick Reply: What does it sound like: split secondary muffler