Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Adjustment

Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Pedal Adjustment

Hi

I took the floor out around the pedals to clean, re-grease and vacuum, and adjusted the small screw on the clutch spring. It should be 6mm so after cutting a small piece of card to 6mm and screwed out the bolt till it slotted in. (think its was 5mm) clutch feels lighter now so all good with part 1.

Part 2: I also adjusted the pedal travel using the clutch stop, this should be 145mm -/+10mm according to the book, I didn't check the setting before i removed and cleaned everything but on resetting it to 145mm I now noticed that it extends marginally beyond the clutch rest. Is this normal? can't say it did before, but it may have had incorrect adjustment so its not really a good indicator.

On a RHD with a clutch rest: When the clutch is pushed down fully do you feel the clutch rest under the left edge of your foot a small amount? or have I given the clutch pedal too much travel? The clutch measurement distance may have been amended with the later clutch rest added, but I can't find any further updates to the 145mm.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Unkle; 05-21-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Unkle
Pro

Shameless bump for help
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
mroddis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned one of these cars (yet!) and so having absolutely nothing to reference...but

Are the pedals normally aligned this way? ie. the pedals look 'bent' - the clutch looks like it's bent outwards towards the top and if so, could that be what is causing the pedal to feel like it's hitting the footrest? Looking at your picture if it was perfectly vertical, would it not miss any of the footrest material?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks Oddis Its not a pic of mine, just one i found that showed it all. But its how it is, weird, quirky and perfect all in one it kind of moves on a pivot under the pedal board at an angle to slot next to the rest

It doesn't touch the rest, but it pushes down and fits just next to it when fully depressed, this makes the rest touch my foot underneath. It didn't do it before, but that doesn't mean it was right before as i have now followed the correct measured settings. just not sure if anyone else has the same thing
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mroddis
I've never owned one of these cars (yet!) and so having absolutely nothing to reference...but

Are the pedals normally aligned this way? ie. the pedals look 'bent' - the clutch looks like it's bent outwards towards the top and if so, could that be what is causing the pedal to feel like it's hitting the footrest? Looking at your picture if it was perfectly vertical, would it not miss any of the footrest material?
Yeah, sure look bent, should be square and not angled out like they are.

There is a deal on the back of the floor board after I rebuilt my box it rubbed slightly and I just adjusted out of the way.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Part 2: I also adjusted the pedal travel using the clutch stop, this should be 145mm -/+10mm according to the book, I didn't check the setting before i removed and cleaned everything but on resetting it to 145mm I now noticed that it extends marginally beyond the clutch rest. Is this normal? can't say it did before, but it may have had incorrect adjustment so its not really a good indicator.
Mine can be pulled towards the driver about 10mm. I suspect that they all do that. I have rebuilt my pedal cluster too so I know the bushings are good.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Mine can be pulled towards the driver about 10mm. I suspect that they all do that. I have rebuilt my pedal cluster too so I know the bushings are good.
Mine does that too if that is what we are talking about.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Unkle
Pro

thanks for the help

However I understand the pic is almost 100% correct Makmov, the pedal system on right hand drive cars is different especially with the foot rest models. I understand they redesigned the pedals (could be wrong) and this might be why it looks different to US or even early models. You can see from the carpet cut behind the pedal, that the carpet is at an angle as the mechanism moves down to the floor it moves in towards the brake missing the rest.

My question/query is that when depressed fully, it moves far enough for the rest to touch the underside of my foot. Does that make sense? difficult to explain i know but its the adjustment of the clutch stop that prevents too much travel and having adjusted the clutch stop to the correct amount, it now depresses further in to the floor and makes the rest touch my foot (my foot is bigger than the width of the pedal)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Unkle
Pro

212 views!

And no one with RHD and the clutch rest can push the clutch pedal down and let me know?

Just need a yes or no if poss please getting desperate to drive it.

Last edited by Unkle; 01-21-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unkle
thanks for the help

However I understand the pic is almost 100% correct Makmov, the pedal system on right hand drive cars is different especially with the foot rest models. I understand they redesigned the pedals (could be wrong) and this might be why it looks different to US or even early models. You can see from the carpet cut behind the pedal, that the carpet is at an angle as the mechanism moves down to the floor it moves in towards the brake missing the rest.

My question/query is that when depressed fully, it moves far enough for the rest to touch the underside of my foot. Does that make sense? difficult to explain i know but its the adjustment of the clutch stop that prevents too much travel and having adjusted the clutch stop to the correct amount, it now depresses further in to the floor and makes the rest touch my foot (my foot is bigger than the width of the pedal)
I guess I kind of see what you are talking about now. I still am not quite sure what is making the floor board touch you foot though.

I, however, can't imagine Porsche would build it so the pedal moves so far it makes the stop hit the back side of the floor board i.e. your foot. That would not be very German or Porsche like.

And you are sure the floor board is in all the way correctly? It is easy to get under a tab rather than over one where it is supposed to be.

There is nothing on a LHD car that when assembled correctly would come close to moving the floor board.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Unkle
Pro

Hi makmov, foot rest is solid and back in position

The pedal moves down and back (like normal) and the clutch stop on the pedal board is adjustable (like normal). Now when i set the clutch pedal travel via the clutch stop to give 145mm of travel specification it causes this problem below:

I push the pedal down fully - As it reaches the stop I can feel the foot rest under the LEFT edge of my left foot a very small amount.

This is indicating that the clutch travel may be too much. But its set to spec so perhaps it wasn't before? I know what you mean, surely Porsche wouldn't design it like that, so thats why i wonder if it could be that the 145mm is the spec for the original pedal box and not the revised 1991 onwards ones?

Not sure...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I am thinking you may have a pending roll pin failure.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Unkle
Pro

Not sure its a mechanical thing just an adjustment issue, i had a new pin fitted some time ago.

I'm just going to recheck and drive it, and assume that it was wrong before as the stiffness adjustment was also wrong.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Unkle
Pro

I highly recommend the clutch pressure adjustment as i took the car out today for a couple of hours and it was surprisingly light and comfortable, definately worth a check.

BTW as i got my camera back from repairs i thought i would add a pic of my pedals too.

I know it looks wrong, but trust me its correct... i think

Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Makmov
Drifting

it does look all kind of ***** vs an LHD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Adjustment