samajam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
BTW ...

at the above settings ...
clearance to suspension arm is about 10mm
clearance to inside body panel near engine is about 10mm

Hope this helps someone in making their wheel decision!
looks great, those OZ's are much better on car than in flat pics...question though, what is the difference between fender lip rolling and fender flare rolling?
thx
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samajam
question though, what is the difference between fender lip rolling and fender flare rolling?
there is a small inside edge/flap/lip of metal about 3 to 5mm wide. this is the 'lip'. it is at a 90 degree angle and we tried to roll it almost flat to a 180 degree angle.

the 'flare rolling' is actually pushing the edge of the fender further out.

note that because the inside lip was only 3 to 5mm on the rear, it was hard to get sufficient leverage to simply fold the lip by itself. so the fender rolling tool ended up doing both during the process.

to get the lip folded flatter, we had to use a hammer.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
samajam
Instructor

[Originally Posted by sml
Is the ET41 with or without the spacer? Are you using 10ET34? That should be pushed out further than my example. I can recall seeing over 10 references that about 10ET44 or 10ET43 is correct for the rear, so my 10ET40 are positioned exactly where I expected.

If you think you are using 10ET34, I think your base measurement of ET41 is incorrect. Perhaps it is ET51 with the 7mm spacer?

If you mean it is 10ET48 with a 7mm spacer to give 10ET41, then perhaps you have 255 tyres or just a brand of tyre with a more rounded shoulder?

Sorry brain fade mine are ET 61 Sorry for the mistake. Some days

I am struggling with rear wheel sizing and this exchange confuses me....if one takes an et 48 and adds a 7mm spacer does it not increase the et(overall offset) to 55 not decrease it to 41? Also, how can an et40 and et61 (2.1 cm further offset) both fit given the tight clearane of sml's et40 fitted car? Please help
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I am struggling with rear wheel sizing and this exchange confuses me....if one takes an et 48 and adds a 7mm spacer does it not increase the et(overall offset) to 55 not decrease it to 41? Also, how can an et40 and et61 (2.1 cm further offset) both fit given the tight clearane of sml's et40 fitted car? Please help
ET48 with 7mm spacer = ET41.

Where is the reference for the ET61 fitting correctly? and what width?

EDIT ... do you mean COBALT comments in this thread? After his correction, the result is ...
10 ET 61 with a 7mm spacer = 10ET54, 2+ degrees of negative camber. I dont think he specified the tire width/profile.
SO 10ET41 vs 10ET54 = the ET54 is 13mm further inwards.
I expect the clearance to the suspension arm and oil pipe would be a few mm.
My 10ET41 probably has about approx 10mm to 15mm of clearance on the inside, so 13mm further inwards would be supertight, but you can PM Cobalt and ask him to slip his had behind the rear wheel and measure. Maybe he has 255 which almost helps compared to my 265. Maybe different profile tyres with a different diameter. I wonder what ride height also. I also have -2 neg camber.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by sml
ET48 with 7mm spacer = ET41.

Where is the reference for the ET61 fitting correctly? and what width?

EDIT ... do you mean COBALT comments in this thread? After his correction, the result is ...
10 ET 61 with a 7mm spacer = 10ET54, 2+ degrees of negative camber. I dont think he specified the tire width/profile.
SO 10ET41 vs 10ET54 = the ET54 is 13mm further inwards.
I expect the clearance to the suspension arm and oil pipe would be a few mm.
My 10ET41 probably has about approx 10mm to 15mm of clearance on the inside, so 13mm further inwards would be supertight, but you can PM Cobalt and ask him to slip his had behind the rear wheel and measure. Maybe he has 255 which almost helps compared to my 265. Maybe different profile tyres with a different diameter. I wonder what ride height also. I also have -2 neg camber.
Yes it was cobalts reference, I missed the 7 mm spacer. I was also backwards on the et and spacer effect, was of the incorrect belief that higher et meant pushed further out. It now makes sense why you had to roll and he did not. I will reach out and enquire about inner clearance....thx
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
samajam
Instructor

sml...how do you like the Kumho's? I am shopping for a similar tire type and can't finad any direct 964 input on these. Have they seen any track or rain time?

Earl
Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

sml...how do you like the Kumho's? I am shopping for a similar tire type and can't finad any direct 964 input on these. Have they seen any track or rain time?
No track time or rain yet.
Next track day is Feb 2011.
Rain - I don't care about rain performance.

Without track time, I don't think you can make any comments about tyres - except perhaps noise or wear (which doesn't concern me really).

Even with track time, I couldn't make any valuable feedback as I haven't tried the car with the exact same set-up with different tyres - and even then I think it is likely to be somewhat subjective - unless you compare a 400 treadwear rated tyre to a 180 treadwear rated tyre.

I bought the Kuhmo Ecsta XS:
- reasonable treadwear rating of 180 so it is reasonably soft yet will last better for some street driving with -2 degrees negative camber.
- highest G corner rating in one of the US tyre website comparisons (maybe tirerack).
- about $200 less than the Dunlop Star Specs that also get good reviews.
- good looking aggressive tread pattern.
- widths/profiles were available.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
samajam
Instructor

I bought the Kuhmo Ecsta XS:
- reasonable treadwear rating of 180 so it is reasonably soft yet will last better for some street driving with -2 degrees negative camber.
- highest G corner rating in one of the US tyre website comparisons (maybe tirerack).
- about $200 less than the Dunlop Star Specs that also get good reviews.
- good looking aggressive tread pattern.
- widths/profiles were available.[/QUOTE]

Same reasons I am considering them.

Earl

Quick Reply: 10ET40 Photos