Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   OT: NSX vs Cayman/Boxster (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/595636-ot-nsx-vs-cayman-boxster.html)

Tuscany964 10-10-2010 02:47 PM

OT: NSX vs Cayman/Boxster

Out of the 3 I've only ever driven a Cayman (albeit several different versions) but never a Boxster or an NSX. Just wanted some opinions on how they compare from people who have been fortunate enough to try an NSX and one of these mid-engined P-cars. Has progress been a good or bad thing? Not interested in all the modern electronic gizmos or comfort - only from a driving point of view.

Thanks!

LastMezger 10-11-2010 08:49 PM

Cayman and Boxster drive very much the same...as you'd imagine. Quick turn-in, balanced, great ride quality.

NSX is a bit of an other-worldly experience. Sticks like a go-cart...until it doesn't Then you die. Fabulous sound, dated albeit exotic looks. Very tight cockpit with extremely limited headroom.

End of the day they are all mid-engined and have similar dynamics in some respects. At the limit the NSX can be trickier but I've pushed on on track and didn't get any nasty surprises.

Jimjacqmx5 10-11-2010 09:47 PM

All gods. NSX probably would cream a standard boxster/ Cayman but Boxster S/Cayman S would probably be just above an NSX. Any of them will make you very happy. NSX is relatively rare and will hold it's value much better in long term. Try to get as late as possible and even better track down an NSX Type R. I seriously considered an NSX instead of my 964 and as a stock car, the NSX is probably slightly better and definately easier to drive. But, it's not a 911 :)

raspberryroadster 10-11-2010 10:49 PM

nsx , japanese ferrari....but generally with servicing costs / dependability ratings of honda accord!

mooty 10-11-2010 11:53 PM

nsx better weapon.
more sophisticated suspension.
value: no idea.
look: personal

Tuscany964 10-12-2010 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies, appreciate them greatly. Sounds like the NSX is still rated very highly.

NSX-R I wish ;) way out of my price range unfortunately. But a stock NSX with lightweight seats and uprated brakes, suspension and wheels seems like an excellent and realistic option as fun trackday car. Does the engine overheat when pushed on the track?

altarchsa 10-12-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 (Post 7966682)
.............NSX is a bit of an other-worldly experience. Sticks like a go-cart...until it doesn't Then you die. Fabulous sound, dated albeit exotic looks. Very tight cockpit with extremely limited headroom........... At the limit the NSX can be trickier but I've pushed on on track and didn't get any nasty surprises.

+1

Drove a girlfriend's NSX about 20 years ago and it scared the hell out of me. FAST and sticks to the road. And noisy with that motor right behind your ear.

Try to make your first drive in one in the daytime on a known road, not in the middle of the night on an unknown, twisty country road, as I did. I knew right away I really couldn't get anywhere near the car's performance limits, although she was the kind of girl that tried to push me to do just that!

Tuscany964 10-12-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by altarchsa (Post 7968489)
+1

Drove a girlfriend's NSX about 20 years ago and it scared the hell out of me. FAST and sticks to the road. And noisy with that motor right behind your ear.

Try to make your first drive in one in the daytime on a known road, not in the middle of the night on an unknown, twisty country road, as I did. I knew right away I really couldn't get anywhere near the car's performance limits, although she was the kind of girl that tried to push me to do just that!

And you didn't marry her?!! Fantastic girl, and the car isn't half bad from what you're saying as well...

LastMezger 10-12-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tuscany964 (Post 7968707)
And you didn't marry her?!! Fantastic girl, and the car isn't half bad from what you're saying as well...

+1

altarchsa 10-12-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tuscany964 (Post 7968707)
And you didn't marry her?!! ...........

I started to say something to that effect, but you never know who might be watching. Yes, she was very special. We met at a gas station in the late 80's when I lamely commented that it was "hard to keep theses old sports cars running, wasn't it?", she in her Triumph and me in my 75 911S Targa. She was the only woman I've ever known who I didn't hesitate to let drive my car. OK, back to work now................ (as he slaps both cheeks and shakes his head to clear the daydreams)

wpriller 10-12-2010 04:01 PM

I have to agreed with most of the postings, the NSX is a fantastic car to drive with Honda reliability. The Cayman is a better car to compare than the Boxster, even though the Boxster is a fund car.

There is something special about the NSX, because their owners are holding onto them. All the models after 96 up to 2005 are bringing premium dollars and you don't find that many for sale.:thumbup:

Tuscany964 10-12-2010 05:07 PM

You guys are pushing me over the edge....

Altarchsa if I weren't already married I'd be asking you for your ex-gf's number ;)

stinkydog 10-12-2010 05:12 PM

Here's a comparison written in 1990: 964 vs. NSX, F-348, and Lotus Esprit.
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoa...NSX_Car90.html

Tuscany964 10-12-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by stinkydog (Post 7968969)
Here's a comparison written in 1990: 964 vs. NSX, F-348, and Lotus Esprit.
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoa...NSX_Car90.html

Thanks stinkydog hadn't read that one before.

911Jetta 10-13-2010 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like this review also, you don't get to read much about the 964 RS 3.8:

The Le Mans racers you can drive on the road
Lotus Sport 300 v Porsche Carrera RS 3.8
CAR– July 1993

The Esprit and the 911 are wonderful road cars, and they've been developed into brilliant track cars. Now these racers have been let loose on the road. We drive them to the Nürburgring, the toughest circuit in the world, where Roger Bell laps them up.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoa...911_Car93.html