Sponsored by:

Monday meanderings a day later

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday meanderings a day later

Over here in the US, yesterday was a federal holiday- Labor day. Big day for cookouts and end of summer parties. Kids should be back in school now, and the roads become full of buses and minivans filled with kids. The traffic pattern changes again this time of year, and not usually for the better.

This past weekend my wife and I had some together time; not much of that this summer as I photographed 4 weddings, 2 family sessions, 4 high school seniors, and occassionally a few pics of my own kids. So this weekend we took the Porsche to SupercarSatudays- a Chicago version of Cars & coffee. This is open to anything, as eveident by the Honda Civic SI version parked next to a Jaguar, but oh well....

The weather was a bit on the cool side in the shade, and about 10 degree warmer in the sunshiney spots. The street was shut down in an industrial area so the cars lined the street for 2 blocks. There were Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Teslas, Corvettes and a few other makes thrown in

The 550 Spyder was done by Vintage Spyders. Had a 2.4l flat 4 with about 1400 dry weight. Hp was over 150, but I don't remember the exact number.

The White SC was an '84 backdated to look like a Donahue '74 version. Nicely done.

The Yellow 996 was a Ruf conversion done in Texas, pushing 600 hp.

Gallery Link

So what did you do this weekend?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Had a great weekend. The hurricane "Earl" turned out away from land and didn't really affect my portion New England. Saturday I changed out the 964's brakes. They were worn out from my recent PCA DE event at Watkins Glen. The front rotors were at their wear limit and the pads were shot front and rear. The front pads almost looked partially melted. Does that mean that I need different pad compound? I'm currently running Pagid's street/DE pad (blue). After completing the brakes, I installed the headliner in the sunroof and also tried out my new random orbiting polisher. I have a scratch on the rear window caused by the wiper arm. The car was that way when I purchased it. I used Griot's glass polish. The scratch is diminished but still visible. Sometime, I plan on using it to polish the car's paint.

Sunday was spent taking my GF's daughter to college. It was a day of emotions (proud parent and sense of loss). My GF did very well holding back the tears. She cried on the drive home.

Monday was running errands, checking the GF's Honda. The last inspection reported a torn ball joint boot and need for sway bar bushings. I declined to pay the mechanic to for the work. I ordered the parts. Always amazed as the Honda parts prices are much more reasonable than the 964's. But the 964 is still worth it (smiles per mile). I had 8 friends over for an evening BBQ.

It was a great 3 day weekend.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the 964 out with the g/f - was fully expecting her diagnosis to be "it still stinks of petrol" - but in fact, she said it was fine, so maybe tightening the hose clamps helped. Was a bit of a surprise so let's see if that diagnosis changes!

Got the turbo back - new fuel pump (under warranty) and a new fuel sender unit since they think that the (clogged) filter in that is what's breaking the pumps.

Toying with the idea of buying another watch. Saw a couple of Tags I liked the look of, but one didn't look as good when I put it on, and the other (which I'd preferred when I saw it in the window) looked more like it should be worn by Puff Daddy (or P Diddy or whatever his name is these days). The assistant did show me a couple of others from brands I didn't know about - and one I did like - but I decided to do some more research and plan to go up to London soon and take a look at some jewellers. I did find a watch online I loved - until I discovered it cost more than the value of both my cars put together!

I also want a private plate for the turbo. I think we've had a few threads before that tell you guys over the pond what ridiculous money some of us will pay for private registration numbers. One with my initials won't be all that cheap - my initials plus 4 random numbers is cheapest, initials plus 3 numbers is about £1k more - and my initials plus 2 numbers is a LOT more. Got to love the g/f - after I told her the costs, her view was "buy one with two numbers, 'cos it's much better and it's something you can keep for life". In fact - there is a DVLA auction on 5th October (DVLA is the licensing body here, rather than 3rd parties who make a big commission selling registrations) and they are MUCH cheaper - so we've decided to go to that. It's near York - where we were at the end of July anyway, and wanted more time - so we've booked back at the (excellent hotel). That eats into any money I'll save - but it should be a fun trip.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent nearly 5 days putting together my outside pergola/folly. It's starting to look like a band shell, with welded overhead structures bent on a really large radius.

I didn't wear welding gloves so my hands are "sunburnt"... ouch. I've never welded that much at one time. I wasn't wearing a watch or ring due to the spatter, so my tan-line areas are especially bad. Note to self for next time...

Quick Reply: Monday meanderings a day later