Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wiper Delete - Missing Parts

Old 09-05-2010, 03:52 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wiper Delete - Missing Parts

I followed these instructions to remove my rear wiper ...
http://p-car.com/diy/rearwiper/

These are the parts required ...
P477.845.333 Screw
P477.955.439 Grommet
P999.707.301.40 O ring
P477.845.331 Washer
PN.011.118.14 Nut

But I could not find the ...
PN.011.118.14 NUT, and
P999.707.301.40 O-RING

... to include with my pelican parts order. I think I found one of these missing parts yesterday but it said 'no longer available' although I cannot find that part anymore on their website!?

Any ideas where I could buy these parts on-line with international shipping?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Reformed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I removed mine, I was considering following that same guide, but in the end I simply took the arm off, removed the motor (leaving the lead behing the panel, and put the pro max bung in the hole through the glass.

http://www.promaxmotorsport.com/rear_wiper_del.htm

Looks much cleaner, and can easily be put back, and saved messing with the list of other parts.

Incidently, it now says unsuitable for Porsche 964, but it fits fine!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Unkle
Pro

I think its to do with the thickness of the glass. 924 944 is 5mm but they told me the 964 is 4mm? Not sure perhaps its a model change thing somewhere between 89 and 93 But it may fit straight out of the box like you found, but just in case, you can cut a slither off the thread to allow it to tighten (re: phone call to them).
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It did not fit my 90 C4 straight out of the box. It was quite a loose fit when fully tightened and allowed water in onto the rear parcel shelf. I had to attack it with a trim knife and some silicon sealant to get it ot fit in the end. Also 18 months on and the outside plastic face has faded quite badly to the point where I will now have to replace it with something else. Could not recommend it as good value for the money.

Regards,

Neil
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Neil.

I was about to cancel those parts from my pelican order and grab the plastic bung, but I will now stick with the genuine parts plan ... and worst case ... just find a nut & washer from the local hardware store. I think it was just an M6 nut.

Perhaps I can re-use a washer or nut from the wiper system ... during my removal process, I dropped a perfect washer down into the engine - never to be seen again! (well at least after 10 mins of searching anyway).
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try jamie @ 1-954-968-3766, tell him what you want to do, he is in south florida.....vinnie
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Unkle
Pro

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
It did not fit my 90 C4 straight out of the box. It was quite a loose fit when fully tightened and allowed water in onto the rear parcel shelf. I had to attack it with a trim knife and some silicon sealant to get it ot fit in the end. Also 18 months on and the outside plastic face has faded quite badly to the point where I will now have to replace it with something else. Could not recommend it as good value for the money.

Regards,

Neil
Hi Neil, can you elaborate a bit more, as it may help me & others.

Did you fit it and it leaked when you thought it was a sufficient seal. Or did you fit it, then it let water in then you trimmed it and used sealant? As it reads like you fitted it and it didn't seal but you left it till it let water in. Also has it faded even though it was treated to a vinyl and rubber care product as part of general detailing, or has it been left in the sun without being touched for 18 months. (assuming you get a load of sun, but not jealous at all )

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Reformed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say, I fitted mine about 2-3 years ago,. It fitted fine, with a nice tight seal (I didnt use any sealant). I initially poured water over it from a jug after fitting, as a brief check and it stayed dry, and since then it has never let in a single drop of water (even during washing), faded, or anything. It still looks like the day I fitted it. And that is through the great British downpours, as well as the last 2 winters (and the odd lovely hot sunny days that we do get!)

Incidently, another source for the parts list is Design911. Thats where I was going to order the parts before deciding on the Pro Max Bung. (They do international orders as well).
Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Taking a closer look at design911, their website works well ... that is once I found the 'order by part' link.

My order with pelican was AUD$590 and the exact same parts with design911 works out to AUD$530. So almost 10% cheaper at design911.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Unkle
Pro

Is that $530 for a wiper delete? Tell me I read that wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Maybe my writing was unclear ... the wiper delete was just a few parts of my total order (I picked up some door seals, handles, gaskets, other bits at the same time) .. but for price comparison purposes between the two websites, I just used the total order value.

For the wiper delete ... still about US$80 for essentially a rubber bung and that is not even all the parts!? But I am going to the hardware store for the final nut & washer!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I did mine a few years back, I went to my local Auto store and bought a plug the right size so it clipped into the hole, for added leakproofing I put a small amount of silicone on the lip and voila, you are done for less than $1.00. Been in there for more than 2 years with no problems what so ever.

PS. I keep a spare one in the car, just in case.

Attached Images    
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The initial fit was so loose that I could not get any kind of seal. I trimmed it down and was able to achieve what I thought was a suffucient tightness to make a seal. The jug of water trick did not show up any leaks but a couple of weeks later during a very heavy downpour I noticed it was leaking in to the rear parcel shelf. I removed it trimmed it down a little further and applied silicon to the inside of the two surfaces and retightened. No further leaks since.

The car is garaged and is regularly washed/ waxed and the rubber surfaces all protected.

Either the plug I got was meant for a different car or the rear glass in Australia is thinner than Europe because it is the original rear screen. The fading of the plastic itself is a mystery, whilst the Australia sun is far harsher, I would not have expected such a result unless a poor qualitiy plastic with no UV properties was being used. Alternatively it's possible it has reacted badly to the protectant. Either way i'll be looking for a replacement. At around 20 quid I would have expected a perfect fit, perfect seal and a bit more longevity straight out of the box.

At the time of purchase the product was listed as being suitable for the 964 so for them to retract that now means that there are probably otheres with a similar experience.

Neil
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

My parts arrived today.

For my two missing parts ... Pelican found the nut but couldn't supply the o-ring so I am almost there!

Does anyone know what the o-ring does? It looks like it would work fine even without the o-ring.

Having seen the quality of the screw, I think the approx US$100 total cost is ok afterall!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm gonna try Steen's approach and get a $1 plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Delete - Missing Parts