Jerking in 2nd gear, under hard-ish acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
smneoh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerking in 2nd gear, under hard-ish acceleration

My first post on this forum!

I have a 1990 C4 which I bought a couple of months ago. I've since changed the micro switches, ignition coils and AFM. The initial idle-stalling and jerking problems I had went away after that. Ran great for a week.

Now it's starting to jerk in 2nd under medium-hard acceleration. Power seems diminished too. It's not apparent in the other gears.

The only thing I can think of is that a couple of days ago I had a flat (left rear tyre). I installed the (un-inflated) spare, and stupidly thought I could nurse it 600 yards down the road to a petrol station to pump it up. Repeat: stupidly.

After 400 yards or so, I felt a pretty severe vibration in the tranny, despite only crawling along. I pulled over and legged it the rest of the way, pumped up the spare and drove home. The vibrations went away and I thought I had dodged a bullet.

Fast forward to today: I installed new tires (a pair) at the rear; same spec as orignal - 255/40/R17). Whilst my car was jacked up, I took the opportunity to check my LSD - turned one wheel, but the other didn't move. Crap. (the wheel also felt quite a bit tighter than before)

Went for a drive anyway, and the jerking in 2nd developed after a while.

What could be wrong? Did I blow my LSD by running on a flat spare for 600 yards? Could I have damaged the transmission?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 AM
smneoh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correction: It now hesitates/jerks in other gears too.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe you burned up the lsd.

Quick Reply: Jerking in 2nd gear, under hard-ish acceleration