Sponsored by:

Frugal Friday

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frugal Friday

ok- frugal in that I have to spend my time wisely. Too many commitments over the past 3 months and it all came to a head this week with my wife. So... I've got great quality family time scheduled and little photography work. Tonight is a drive in the Porsche to a burger joint with some Porsche friends. Tomorrow is the last Supercars event for the year and my wife and I are going.

So I'm planning on my winter maintenance list: engine drop with repainting tins and fan, cleaning the engine block and transmission, rip out the soundproofing material and decide if I should replace it with a sound blanket and general engine bay cleanup.

so what's up with you?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I've got to get a toolkit and spares package ready for my sisters 87 carrera running in the Targa Newfoundland starting next week.

After that I've got to put rotors and pads on the 964 for track days when I get back.

This winter is lightening up the 964, remove interior bits, linen and blue, and then try for the Tip-Manual conversion.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I spent last night investigating the (girlfriend reported) fuel smell in the 964. I took the expansion tank off and checked all the hoses (and the expansion valve) - many of the clamps were quite loose so I tightened all of them up. Checked the valve and that doesn't seem to be leaking - but I think there is still quite a fuel smell in the luggage area (although that's probably partly due to a small amount of fuel spilling out the hoses when I took the expansion tank off!).

I intend to replace the fuel filler neck + cap, since they're the most likely suspects - but I'm delaying ordering them until I get the turbo back since I need a few parts for that and can't check exactly what until it's here.

For the weekend, nothing much planned - and as for the winter my only plan is to wait for next summer!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Picking up mine from the mechanic had all teh fluids changed and the Airbag crash sensor replaced so no warning lights now.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Unkle
Pro

Mine will have to be registered off the road over winter so i need to get a trickle charger
Dropping the car off to the spray shop to fit a new OE bumper tomorrow
Remove the fuel expansion tank and check breather and hose connections
Rear wiper delete
Gearbox and Diff oil change.
Sit and read through the 1991/92 brochure i just bought to go with my car. ITs great to read the introduction from F.A Porsche
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be continuing to try to solve my clutch hanging issue. I replaced the slave cylinder and hose, bleed the system, but it still hangs that last 1/2" or so.
The pedal cluster is out, so I'll disassemble, lube and reassemble with a new roll-pin. If that doesn't do it, I may need to get creative...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Spent 3 days last weekend at Watkins Glen (PCA DE). It was loads of fun. This was my second DE at WGI. Its my new favorite east coast track. I was able to reach speeds of 130-135 on the back straight. Unfortunately, I have worn out my brakes (pads & rotors). I will be installing new ones tomorrow. It was also fortunate that I had a spare DME relay in the glove box. The car wouldn't start on the second day as I was getting to go back out on track. Swapped the relay for a new one and it started up. Didn't miss my session. Whew!

Saturday afternoon, have a BBQ at the house. Sunday my girlfriend's daughter goes to college. The GF is both proud and sad. This is her only daughter. She's having a rough time seeing her baby leave the nest.

Not sure what the plans are for Monday. Hurricane Earl is supposed to hit New England tonight. Hopefully, it will not do too much damage.

Have a great and safe Labor Day weekend!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am bending steel square tubing in preparation for building our outside room. A simple job has become complex as I have decided to build a covered space using a curved roof... not straight. I can't leave well enough alone. Welding most of the day tomorrow. :-) The P-car is crabby as it's been sitting in the street for a few days. I don't want to be grinding and welding any where near it.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default wevos!!!!

order my wevo blacks today!

Quick Reply: Frugal Friday