Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Man ... that black 'rubberized' painted rear wing really makes this car look 'factory' ... what a cool detail!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Not much to report today other than Marc finding the time to dig out all the fuel & brake lines and door frames, then stripping them ready for a repaint before refitting. If it sounds OTT to repaint fuel lines keep in mind that the factory steel lines are no longer available from Porsche, hence we can't risk corrodion setting in without doing our best to protect them. The job is made easier by combining the work with the same parts for another RS build, but either way it's a lot less rewarding than painting a body panel.

Suspension parts are next on the list to be done.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Moped scooter!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to see a vid of this beast on the road!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Work continues on painting the door frames & other anciliaries & all the fasteners, clips and screws have been sorted and sent for replating. As soon as the non-glamourous work is completed assembly can begin, meanwhile the shell sits patiently on the lift waiting for attention, as seen from this overhead view taken from the design office window in 9m Racing.

This week we've also had some time to review the design and manufacture of the new electronic & electrical system for the car, suffice to say that our consultant/designer is now getting really excited at showcasing the package that we planning for the 9m11RS. In a nutshell we are undertaking the installation of a complete, aerospace quality solid state power distribution system along with the most advanced ecu/datalogger that is currently possible to imagine, all custom coded to the aircooled engine. The system was originally conceived as the perfect ecu upgrade solution for our GT3 engine development program after we deduced that if we were to get the best from the GT3 engine the control requirements were way beyond pretty much all aftermarket systems, so due to the complexity of a complete GT3 solution we decided to port the system onto the 9m Racing aircooled engine in order to get track miles under the belt. More on this later.....
Attached Images    
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't say some thing about this gorgeous RSR - and just ignore the story behind the 993 boby next to it

go for it !!!!! PLEASE!!!!

The RSR is stunning - I am looking into rennlist at least once or twice a day exactly because of this thread (last year because of the 993 speedster) parallel for Kermit... keep on going 9m - ThanXXXX

Greetz Tim
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by timtim

you can't say some thing about this gorgeous RSR - and just ignore the story behind the 993 boby next to it

go for it !!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Greetz Tim

Tim,

No need to plead, just follow the 9m93RS narrow body build thread in the 993 forum.....
Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Tim,

No need to plead, just follow the 9m93RS narrow body build thread in the 993 forum.....
Oh no! Now I'll never be off the damned computer. I find these builds simply fantastic and when I win the lottery i'll be giving you a call.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Madness911
Track Day

Spoiler is deadly awesome!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
The Old Dutch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madness911
Spoiler is deadly awesome!
Fully agree, Madness911
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 AM
My car is faster
AutoX

Now the car is so awesome
cant wait to see the car after it is complete.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Cant wait to see the next step on this baby. She sure is a beauty. Hope you guys get the time to do a video. Id love to see her driven in anger and hear her rumble..
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to see the engine go together!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All in good time lads, just got to be patient.

Work is steadily progressing on getting all the details right for the two current builds. Both oil tanks have been repainted in gloss black along with all the factory fuel lines & underpanels.

Rear windows are all in. Because the car is destined for Malaysia the fact is that plastic windows just would not survive the heat, so to keep weight to a minimum we've fitted 993 side glass with the 964RS (non-wiper) rear glass. Trimless rubbers definitely give the car a cleaner, modern look, so it's a good job we like retro blend of old style with "new" componentry.

One often forgotten aspect of building a car from scratch are the fasteners that hold everything together. Unfortunately it is just not cost effective to buy all new stuff (would you believe that a set of 4 door hinge pins are now the best part of $100 from Porsche?!?) so we send all the parts away for replating and they come back looking like new. The guys who do it must have some patience because all the parts are individually wired and hung up so that they do not get lost in the plating tanks.

These are the parts from both this car and the 9m11RS, the more seasoned Porsche officionados might recognise some of the bits from each car on the table. Marc actually remembers where every single one goes....
Attached Images      
Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

I think my head would explode if someone gave me that bucket and said, "here find where they go." wow.

You guys surely know your stuff backwards, forwards, inside and out. Kudos for sure! If I had the money, Id ship my 911 to you guys.. But alas, some things just stay dreams.

Keep up the good work guys.

Chris

PS, Old Dutch, I replied to your PM.

Quick Reply: 9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform