Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brad Penn - 2 Places with Low Prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of debate on the subject. Has to do with levels of ZDDP content. Most oils on the market have been reformulated with lower ZDDP due to the affects on the cat. Brad Pen still has a high level of ZDDP which is suppose to be good for these engines.

I am definitely no expert on the subject but am running Brad Penn in my car.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldskews4
Slightly off topic.. but, what's so good about Brad Penn?
Its the old Kendall GT-1 motor oil from Bradford Pennsylvania .
http://www.amref.com/
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskews4
Slightly off topic.. but, what's so good about Brad Penn?
Well, as we all know Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are huge Porsche fans and collectors. Second only to Seinfeld. They wanted the best oil they could buy for thier P-cars. Long story short, they started-up a small business, and as you can now guess, they named the product "Brad Penn".

True story.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, as we all know Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are huge Porsche fans and collectors. Second only to Seinfeld. They wanted the best oil they could buy for thier P-cars. Long story short, they started-up a small business, and as you can now guess, they named the product "Brad Penn".
LOL! Good one.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Indycam
Did you call for prices ?
If you did or do call , I'd like to hear who has the best price .
'Indycam' I used the locator and found 1 distributor in Anaheim, Ca. (Roy Miller Freight) who retails it for $60.00 per case. I have been paying $8/qt. and now can save $3/qt. by picking it up in Anaheim.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by No HTwo O

True story.
This story I'm sure will take legs and run and I'm sure we'ill see this explanation further down the road in time. Good thought pattern...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Default Brad Penn- 2 Places with Low Prices

Did you call for prices ?
If you did or do call , I'd like to hear who has the best price .
@Indy- both Belmont distributors sell BP for $64.95/case +tax. I think they're affiliated. Gotellis' sell them for $80/case.
*Accessories Plus; Belmont, Ron (650) 591-2400 Dealer
*Jansen Enterprise; Belmont, Ken (650) 622-9785 Dealer
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan360
I appreciate the link Indy! I have 6 local BP distributors within 30 mins.
If you go to Gotelli's, sometimes they cut you a break if you pay cash.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Hey - I just got my oil report back from Blackstone - with 5600 miles and 14 months in the car the test says I could have run much longer.
How long do any of you run your Brad Penn?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

FYI for anyone visiting Summit Point...Quarles Energy in Winchester sells it for $49/case last time I was there (which was just in July). Only about 20 minutes from the track.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Its the old Kendall GT-1 motor oil from Bradford Pennsylvania .
http://www.amref.com/
Is this 100% confirmed? Kendall GT-1 20W50 is definitely still around here in Western PA, and easily available autozone/advance auto for about $3/qt. In fact I've been running it in my DD 325ix for the last 7-8k miles or so. It would be great if it was, I could switch from Brad Penn to it for the 964 and save ~$13, and only have to worry about stocking up on one type of oil for both cars. Now if I could only use the same stuff in the ///M.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Is this 100% confirmed? Kendall GT-1 20W50 is definitely still around here in Western PA, and easily available autozone/advance auto for about $3/qt. In fact I've been running it in my DD 325ix for the last 7-8k miles or so. It would be great if it was, I could switch from Brad Penn to it for the 964 and save ~$13, and only have to worry about stocking up on one type of oil for both cars. Now if I could only use the same stuff in the ///M.
The oil that is in the "Kendall GT-1 20W50" bottle you are seeing on the shelf at autozone/advance auto is not the old Kendall GT-1 . ConocoPhillips bought the Kendall name and they are selling their oil under the Kendall name .
The real Kendall GT-1 is now sold as Brad Penn in a Brad Penn bottle .
Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

http://www.mrxmotors.com/index_files/brad_penn.htm

"Some Neat Brad Penn History

This is like the "Green Oil" we all used to know as the Kendall GT-1 and Amalie Pro brands. Witco Chemical, the original refinery owners, sold the Kendall and Amalie naming rights years ago to Sunoco, who sold "Kendall" to Conoco/Phillips and "Amalie" to Barkett Oil Co, and those brand name oils are no longer Pennsylvania Crude based oils.

Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 oil, is made exclusively from 100% Pennsylvania Crude stocks. It's the only brand left still using these premium stocks. The crude oil is still obtained from within a 200 mi. radius of their refinery in Bradford, PA. Crude stocks from this geographic area offer the highest natural viscosity index of any crude oil. (90-95) A truly remarkable gift to us from nature. Penn Grade 1 is manufactured at the same refinery that used to make the Kendall/Amilie brands, the oldest continually working refinery in America.

Unlike other current inferior "SL" rated performance oils, Penn Grade 1 still incorporates the same Lubrizol Inc. high zinc additive package (SE, engine severe) that we've always relied on for anti-scuff protection, as well as a modern synthetic PAO additive to reduce cold fluid friction. These are the additives that our racing engines need and the 80's and earlier muscle car engines required. A lot of thought & engineering has gone into the formulation of this oil. It's especially GREAT for flat tappet cams."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1099379

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/ar...p/t-47443.html
"the kendall nitro 70 is avaiable at autozone.. if you don"t see it on the shelf ask a manager.. they can get it...nothing is better than brad penn in my opinion if your running alky.. they own the old kendall refinery.. the kendall you buy now is JUNK !!!,, cheap dark saudi oil.. will turn to grey pupon immediatly after startup.... sorry to ramble on..."

"I had heard that the Kendall turned to ****... That is why I am looking for a new brand.
Brad Penn seems like the way to go"

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=234449

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=298517
"Isky recommends the use of only the following motor oils for maximum cam lobe and lifter protection before and after the break-in period because they are the only conventional mineral based oils available with generous levels of the zinc/phosphorous additive package:

•Brad Penn Penn-Grade 1 **The very best of all in our opinion and the only oil refined from 100% Pennsylvania crude. "
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

The oil that is in the "Kendall GT-1 20W50" bottle you are seeing on the shelf at autozone/advance auto is not the old Kendall GT-1 . ConocoPhillips bought the Kendall name and they are selling their oil under the Kendall name .
The real Kendall GT-1 is now sold as Brad Penn in a Brad Penn bottle .
Thanks. Oh well, would've been too convenient anyhow. You're not a real car enthusiast unless you stock 4 different types of oil by the case (Brad Penn for the 964, Redline for the M, and whatever strikes my fancy for the 325 in 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter) right guys?

Good thing is you can get Brad Penn in most NAPAs in western PA

Quick Reply: Brad Penn - 2 Places with Low Prices