Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 AM
candela
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulations on your 964 purchase. I like that you keep it so tidy, and are keen on preventative maintenance..... I think it stems from your vw days, lol.... (I'm a vw guy as well) your mk1 cab is a real gem.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

The cab was a real gem. But it went to an air cooled camper owner who loves VW's so it went to a good home. I do feel like I am starting all over again with the 964 due to every part i remove looking like it needs TLC.

I am toying with the idea of creating a more lightweight C4 like the ROW RS touring. A kind of road going lightweight C4, over time i might remove some non essential items, and lower unsprung weight. It will also need adjusting to reduce the understeer. However without AC i am already on the road to a lighter car from the factory.

I don't want to go far enough that it becomes irreversible and I lose the option to put a future classic back to standard form, but just a lighter more nimble C4 perhaps.

All running cost dependant of course.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Unkle
Pro

Decided to do the wiper delete, and fit the promax plug.

It didn't fit my car straight away but i used the flat washer from the wiper motor itself, and a slither of clear plastic to help the metal compress against the glass. I also picked up a small 1" plug to sit in the recess of the wiper hole.

As always i like to give things a bit of a clean so it took me a little over 50 mins.

I also used some duct tape to keep things secure under the parcel shelf

And the weight saved? 2.35Kilos

Last edited by Unkle; 09-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unkle - being a fellow newbee and UK-er (and golf owner for now, although R32 will shortly be up for sale), id recommend design911.co.uk for your parts - theres a downloadable parts manual on the website with literally every part number on there, and although ive only been buying trim etc so far they havent failed me yet, and very reasonably priced.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Unkle
Pro

Hi mate,

I have had a look at Design and saved them to favorites before, Its always nice to build up a list of shopping places. Although i would also suggest that the Main Dealer is not always that bad. For example the little rubber dome covers for the door light switches, mine were cracked, and were only a couple of quid from Porsche.

I need a couple of pedal rubbers too, i see they are on Design, but might also try to the dealer.

This is also useful i find, its free in PDF and always going to be the most accurate

http://www.porsche.com/international...artscatalogue/

was the same pdf i used to post up for Freedmans washer bottle thread
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Unkle
Pro

I re-read this thread, and laughed where i mentioned about not doing any mods,

Just to add
Fitted Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks including the thicker 21mm anti roll bar and poly bushes.

Rear seats and belts removed, floor padding removed with wood board added (like cup cars), luggage compartment carpet removed, multichanger removed.

I seemed to have stripped out a few things since i got the car 8 months ago, including a few extra kilo's with the help of Boxsey and his soundproofing mod. In total I think I have got out about 25kg since I bought the car without too much compromise so its really a bonus TBH.

As it was a nice weekend I wanted to inspect the dizzy belt and while I had the aux heater off I looked and thought, what the heck I might as well clean the intake manifolds. The reason was that as i looked at the intake ports and rubber seals i noticed a little oil on the joints and thought it prob best.

So using this intake-cleaning-thread

I removed the left side (looking in the engine compartment) first and this was easy and straight forward with only a few 10mm bolts and a handful of jubilee clips. 10 mins later I was cleaning the oil residue and sandy grit from the intake, its surprising how much oily deposits sit in the intake for which the breather system clearly contributes. I also noticed a small trace of oil from around the resonance flap which I cleaned out with cleaner. The right side (or offside in the UK) was a little more tricky but I didn’t remove any electronic plugs as you can see, just the air box and right hand inlet manifold, and this was probably due to the left hand already being removed. I think it allowed plenty of flex in the system to remove the right side without all the plug connections being disconnected, this saved time and reduced the complicated nature of the job.

So it was only a 10mm socket, some jubilee clips, and with some good old cleaner and degreasent it didn't take long. It could take as little as an hour or so but i spent a couple of hours cleaning all around the engine bay. Just like an exhaust system i think its better to put both inlet manifolds back in position before you start to tighten anything, a little like and exhaust system on essembly. It just gives you the few mm movement to make sure everything is in place correctly.

I took it out for a run and it does seem to run a smoother low down in the the rev range and around town, which is really helpful so i don't appear to be completely incompetent at moving in traffic, I got to say it was like a new car (50% cleaning 50% placebo at a guess) I also gave it a run up to silly speed and it performed perfectly as usual

More pictures here Unkle photo sets

Last edited by Unkle; 02-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: The Good The Bad And The Ugly