Sponsored by:

vibration past 4k RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration past 4k RPM

Hi all, the road to getting this car all fixed up is long and expensive! I am going to book the car soon for a major service because she really needs it. However I have a problem that is really bothering me.

I have a vibration as I accel past 4k RPM. This resonates especially with the cab top up but I can also feel the roughness with the cab top down. Oil level is fine etc. it doesnt matter if I am in gear or I am in neutral.

Could this be my crankshaft pulley? There is a very slight bend in the pulley. I am worried the rubber damper has gone but before I think about replacing this 1000 euro part () I wanted to get some more input.

Also another problem is I have been having some power loss in the last couple of weeks, and not sure what is causing that :/
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

Several things can cause such vibrations and usually requires a careful & methodical approach to isolate the source.

I would:

1) Check and replace any old ignition wires & connectors. Check the caps and rotors. Old spark plugs should be replaced as well.

2) Check the distributor drive belt.

3) Measure the runout of that lower pulley and see if the rubber has deteriorated. If you can visually see any wobble, it must be replaced.

4) Check the fuel mixture.

5) Pressure plates and clutch discs can cause vibrations if they are damaged from abuse. One needs to remove the engine and transmission to separate them and inspect everything.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve! It can't be the clutch or pressure plate since I recently replaced the entire clutch system with the RS setup. As for the distributor, I pulled the main cap off the distributor closer to me (one with vent hose attached) and started the engine, it was running OK. Does that mean the belt is alright then?

I do suspect there is something up with my ignition system though. I will get all plugs and caps etc replaced with my upcoming major service.

I'll take a quick video of the crank pulley and see what you guys think!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The best check for the integrity of the belt is to pull the lower (secondary) cap, and see if the rotor turns freely.

You didn't say how many miles are on your car nor how many miles since the last tuneup, but thats where I would begin. Plugs, caps, rotors, and wires do not last the life of the car and are consumable items, just like tires and brake pads,....

Quick Reply: vibration past 4k RPM