Sponsored by:

a little sound from wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 AM
1971 911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little sound from wipers

my wipers are having a little party, there is a small 'clack' or 'klang' sound every time they sweep.

i'm guessing something in the linkages or motor is making this sound.

not a sound tight and solid porsches should have, any tips ?

thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't know.
But it sounds like the type of thing, if left alone, eventually eventually becomes some bolt, or broken bracket, working loose and - BANG - something motorized and infinitely powerful crushingly drives some gear-driven lever into a Whatsit.

And that heretofore perfectly working Whatsit - having a replacement price equal to the GNP of France - now, can only be extracted and replaced by removing both gas tank and windshield.

While the blitzed wiper part can be replaced via the factory's purpose-designed, ready access hatch. In 2 minutes.

Or, so it always seems with my cars...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If you try to move the wiper arms manually, is there excess free play? Do you hear the clack or klang noise?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
xeps
Instructor

I know my wipers will physically hit the left side of the car when on the higher settings, making a gentle slapping sound.

They even leave a lovely mark in the paint.

Do they make noise at a specific point in the sweep?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by xeps
I know my wipers will physically hit the left side of the car when on the higher settings, making a gentle slapping sound.
There's no need to have wiper/body contact.
The wiper, as I recall, slips onto a knurled interference taper drive shaft (that juts out from body just in front of the lower windshield's edge.)
So, if it's going too far over (and smacking the body's 'A'-pillar), I think you can simply unbolt the wiper arm's cinch/retaining nut, lift the arm off the drive shaft, and reposition it to a different rest position.
(i.e. that wiper arm should be an infinitely adjustable angular position, I believe.)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM
xeps
Instructor

Originally Posted by elbeee964
There's no need to have wiper/body contact.
The wiper, as I recall, slips onto a knurled interference taper drive shaft (that juts out from body just in front of the lower windshield's edge.)
So, if it's going too far over (and smacking the body's 'A'-pillar), I think you can simply unbolt the wiper arm's cinch/retaining nut, lift the arm off the drive shaft, and reposition it to a different rest position.
(i.e. that wiper arm should be an infinitely adjustable angular position, I believe.)
I will have to take a look.

It only occurs on the very highest setting, which I have only used once, just to try it out...
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

James, I took my little girl out for ice cream yesterday afternoon, and looking through the windshield on the way there thought of your wiper blades smackin' the windshield perimeter...
And I don't see how it's happening - given short enough wiper blades.

Mine are the proper length wiper blades - at least that's what I was led to believe - and remain well clear of the A-upright with about an inch of clearance.
There's no possibility of them hitting.

So, just now I went looking around online for the correct wiper length.
Found everything from 13" to 15" as quoted lengths.

Perhaps measure your current length and then buy new ones a little shorter?

Quick Reply: a little sound from wipers