Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   The final itch, (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/578848-the-final-itch.html)

N51 07-10-2010 11:15 PM

The final itch,

Tossed my RSA into my neighbor's tree, while avoiding deer.
Total to my car.

dfinnegan 07-10-2010 11:19 PM

Well, that sucks.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you'll be in another one soon!

oldskews4 07-10-2010 11:26 PM

Ouch. Glad you are OK. So prices for RSA's just went up another 1% ;)

PNine64 07-10-2010 11:31 PM

Damn...sorry...are you OK?

964Q 07-11-2010 01:08 AM

That is very unfortunate. Just hope you are ok!

My dad just had his motor built in his 88 carrera. The mechanic took it out for one last run before handing over the keys and got into a pretty serious front end collision on the test drive. The other car was a VW rabbit I believe. The p-car was totaled, but held up well in the accident and kept the mechanic safe. Good ol' German iron.

PNine64 07-11-2010 01:19 AM

FWIW...http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1834025004.html

N51 07-11-2010 03:08 AM

I'm fine. Not a scratch or bruise.
But not hear that Protomotive 3.8 singing with the G50/31...I'll get over it.

springer3 07-11-2010 08:16 AM

Noah:

Deepest sympathy. I cannot imagine doing all the work you did and have it destroyed. You are unharmed physically, and it sounds like the motor and transmission can be retrieved. Good luck with the insurance company and the quest for the next great ride.

Paul

Amroth 07-11-2010 08:37 AM

Very sorry for your loss. My friend just last night had a huge accident on the highway and totalled her brand new Kia Sportage. The car was perched on the guard rail in the middle of the highway, but she was totally fine.

Can't compare to the loss of the p-car, but the most important thing is you are alright. And like others have said, hope you can salvage as much of the car as you can for your next Porsche!

jlr 07-11-2010 12:39 PM

Really sorry to hear that, but glad you are ok. I remember us talking on the phone a couple of years ago about our RSAs, and you doing the protomotive work on yours. I certainly hope you are able to get back into something you like, and soon. There are still low miles RSAs to be had, or maybe something different this time...

N51 07-12-2010 12:35 PM

Thanks, all, for the kind thoughts.

Paul,
I'm back and forth as to how I'll work this out with the insurance. I've a good company, but am reluctant to let go.

John,
It's been awhile! Am I correct that you doubled your 964 fun, with another addition?

I've always thought the 964 Targa guys were having more fun than they let on.
Besides another RSA, the only other na 964 I'd consider.
Appreciate PNine64's running thread.

springer3 07-12-2010 12:54 PM

Just a suggestion: after the insurance company totals the car, hire a registered salvage dealer to bid on your car on your behalf. You may be able to recover the drive train, steering rack, and rear wing, suspension, and interoir at salvage value.

Is thre any chance the car can be repaired? Given the value of RSAs, there are some heroic repairs done to keep them on the road. My preference is to see the good parts go into an undamaged C2 tub, but keeping the RSA serial number on the road may require unbending what the tree did.

Best of luck however you proceed.

Dsqr964 07-12-2010 01:22 PM

Good to hear you are ok. Sorry about the p-car though. -Dē

KLVA 07-12-2010 01:39 PM

Salvage the RSA

2 Attachment(s)
You should absolutely ..

1: Spend time doing research as to the real market...MARKET... value

2: Plan on keeping the RSA , negotiate salvage price

3: Look now for someone to restore it.

I know someone in Littlestown , PA who can bring the RSA back from the dead..at a very reasonable cost...artistic workmanship...On RL he is Kevin Michael and he hand built a red 959 replica out of an 83 3.0 litre SC.
He can arrange for the shipping...Paul Champagne brought his car up from TX to have work done..I got my 928 GT resurrected by Kevin Michael

Good Luck..Glad you are alright....

N51 07-12-2010 04:23 PM

All, thanks again!

Paul,
I've been having similar thoughts, as how to proceed. It is going to depend upon how my insurance company is/isn't willing to work with me. In the past, they've been very generous with their adjustments. However, once you accept the check, they will not resell back, as they have contracted salvage dealers. It is going to be an interesting week.

Kev',

Very much appreciate your comments! I'm not concerned of a salvage title, so you and I are thinking alike. Will wait for the adjustor and then think. They'll want to write a check on the spot. I cannot and am unable to do that. When I first posted up, the accident had happened only a few hours prior. Now, it is more emotions, and I'm working on control. I will certainly keep your ideas in mind as I work through it, and may send off a PM, if okay.