Sponsored by:

High Idle & Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default High Idle & Check Engine Light

I just put the engine & tranny back in , and I have a high idle and CE Light. The engine was just out for a couple of weeks, and it was running great until I had a clutch problem.

I am able to manualy turn back the throttle, and the car will hold idle until I hit the gas. I was able to get the light to go off, and I took it out for a ride. The light stayed off until I restarted the car.

I have double checked all the harness connections. Any suggestions would be great because I want to get it ready for a Monday Track Day
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your cruise control cable on top of the motor and verify that the plastic tension nut isn't too tight. I adjusted mine to take the slack out, and had the same scenario you're experiencing.

Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default no cruise controll

but it sure feels like something similar is happening. My guess is that the problem is in the idle control system.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere? Or sticky Idle Control Valve?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default sticky ICV

I probably do have a sticky idle control valve. I cant figure where it is and how to unstick that POS.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Could be the throttle cable's inner cable is now too 'tight' and not allowing contact of the Idle switch (IS) mechanism.

Without the motor running you might be able to hear if the IS is clicking on & off while when you manually exercise the throttle cable.
A Hammer or Scantool is the fool-proof way to see if the system is reading IS 'on'.
(I never guessed Red's flukey idle behavior was caused by this till Scantool showed me the light.)

Adjustment of IS engagement is via adjusting the throttle cable.
THAT adjustment is found under the car, toward the front of the tranny, and is a nut that adjusts the length of the throttle cable's outer sheath.

A little more, here.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Hey Allan,

You can see what CEL code you have by following this procedure: http://members.rennlist.com/billwagner/CheckEngine.html

That will show you the direction you need to take in order to fix the issue.

Best of luck!

Ilko
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Default Simple fix for once.

Thanks guys, you saved me a big ***-ache. The throttle cable adjustment (near the front of the tranny) had come out of it's seat. The cable didn't have enough travel so it could not make the idle switch. That was also what was throwing the C/E Code.

Alan

Quick Reply: High Idle & Check Engine Light